Go Bottom Go Bottom

Landscape Rakes

View my Photos
DaveM
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-05-19          38785

I’m in the process of buying a landscape rake and can’t believe the difference in prices. I rented a 6’ Woods with a blade on it and determined with the number of trees I have that a 5’ rake will make a lot more sense maneuvering around trees. I’ve looked at both 5 and 6’ because not all brands come in the 5’ size. One dealer wanted $900 for a Woods 6’ LR72 with wheels while 2-3 others were in the $650 - 700 range. Land Pride which seems to be about the same quality $825 - 850 range from local JD dealers. I did find one for $700 for the LR1560 which seems reasonable compared to the others but still seems like a lot of money for 300 pounds of spring steel and wheels. BEFCO, Canco, and Bush Hog all were in the $650 range. The cheapest seemed to be the Worksaver 5’ model but it is quite a bit lighter than the others as well. I’ve read the other posts but has anybody found any reasonable deals lately? I’m in Southern Maine.

Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Landscape Rakes

View my Photos
Paul Fox

2002-05-19          38795

$650-ish is what I paid for my 6' Woods several years ago. I'm in Downeast Maine, bought mine from an AGCO dealer in Bangor, the JD dealer in Ellsworth was $100 higher on the same rake. ....

Landscape Rakes

View my Photos
Mrwurm

2002-05-20          38803

I'm a bit baffled about the prices listed in this thread. I did'nt know that a landscape rake could cost so much. I have a six foot landscape rake with gauge wheels (King Cutter). I paid $450. I did price others as much as $500. 5 ft and 4ft models were also available. I am in south east Michigan.
Jerry ....

Landscape Rakes

View my Photos
TomG

2002-05-20          38804

I think what a person gets for a pricey 'big name' implement is commercial duty. The implements are designed to take job site beatings throughout the year and remain durable. I'm not sure that many private owners actually need implements that are designed for commercial use. Some of my implements won't see as many hours in ten years as a contractor would put on them in half a summer.

It does give me pleasure to use well-built equipment and occasionally I'm willing to pay the price. Blades and scrapers is another subject. Lightweight ones don’t cut very well. Heavy ones are pricey, but I pay the price.

Landscape Rakes

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-05-20          38812

The rake quality really depends on the spring steel in the tines. The tines should not be drilled on the better steel as the harden spring steel is difficult to drill, and places a weak point in the steel. The tines should be simolar quality to automotive car springs.
Peters ....

Landscape Rakes

View my Photos
DavidJ

2002-05-20          38814

I've seen the light duty models have a slot with rivet in the tine to stabilize it instead of a strap across it. I would stay away from this setup as it is more likely to snap a tine when hitting something. The only hole in the tine should be at the initial anchor point. ....

Landscape Rakes

View my Photos
Jim on Timberridge

2002-05-20          38820

Recently purchased a landscape rake: Frontier LR1172. Like it a lot. Previously tried doing the work with a rear blade, a soil pulverizer, or the FEL, but like most jobs, the right tool makes the difference and a rake is the right tool for spreading, leveling, and smoothing. The angle of the tines allow for aggressive dirt movement in one direction, and smoothing in the other direction.
I previously posted my buying experience, but maybe it's worth repeating. The local dealer quoted $913 plus $300 for gauge wheels. Another dealer quoted $875 plus $300 for wheels for a LP2572. Both prices were list price. And the local guy advised freight was extra. A third dealer quoted a rake (York?) for $1000+, the specs made it sound like a toy.
Found a JD dealer 100 mi away that quoted the LR1172 at $739, plus $240 wheels, no freight. So the local dealer matched this (he didn't like it, but wanted to keep my business, knowing my addiction for more stuff).
The Frontier is med duty, the frame is common to their rear blade units. I don't like the way the rake is joined with the frame - a 7/8" grade 8 bolt which acts as the pivot for the rake. It cross-threaded during assembly so the hole had to be retapped. Would have gotten the Landpride if the price had been better (am consistently impressed by LP's hardware).
jim ....

Landscape Rakes

View my Photos
JJT

2002-05-20          38844

I'm real happy with my 7' Leinbach. It's a heavy unit with gauge wheels. It was $350 slightly used, the gauge wheels were another $200. ....

Landscape Rakes

View my Photos
seon

2002-05-22          38904

Is the landscape rake the same as a "rock" rake with curved thines? I've been looking at a 3 pt. 4' rock rake here in Northern Calif for $375 w/o wheels. ....

Landscape Rakes

View my Photos
DaveM

2002-05-22          38905

Good information on rakes. It looks like other parts of the country, Mrwurm in
Michigan for instance, price the rakes maybe cheaper than here in New England. It also
looks like some dealers stick to full list price and don't want to bend. I've always like
TomG's posts, they seem well thought out, good information. I also like quality
equipment and want something that will last several years, not just for the season
or one job. Thanks for the posts, I'm still looking. ....

Landscape Rakes

View my Photos
Jim on Timberridge

2002-05-23          38951

DaveM:
Try the Landpride web site. It's the best equipment site i've visited.
- fast.
- has pictures of the equipment, both in the index and at the product's page.
- good tech data and application descriptions
- operators manuals
- parts lists
If only JD's site worked half as well as LP's.
And LP's equipment is very rugged and well designed (and expensive).
Regards landscape rakes, they offer a combo of scarifier with rake, which would really get the ground-prep work done fast.
jim ....

Landscape Rakes

View my Photos
dh

2002-05-24          38980

I just bought a 6'KK rake with gauge wheels for about $480. Fit and finish do not compare to the major brands but it seems to be well built. ....

Landscape Rakes

View my Photos
DaveM

2002-05-24          39004

Anybody know anything about First Choice Implements? Heard there Landscape Rakes are the same as Land Pride but not the big name and a whole lot cheaper. ....

Landscape Rakes

View my Photos
JimMc

2002-06-18          39666

The First Choice rakes do look similar to Land Pride with some improvements. The top link holes are reinforced, the frame tube is heavier, the tine brackets allow easier changing of teeth, they come in your choice of 4 colors to match your tractor, and they are less expensive. In addition the guage wheel setup is more rugged. ....

Landscape Rakes

View my Photos
DaveM

2002-07-19          40516

I was a little skeptical at first about First Choice even after getting an email from Pieter and another from JimMc. I'm located in So. Maine and there were no dealers in this area either so nothing to look at, touch, or feel. Pieter sent some pictures that made them look just as rugged as the Land Pride or Woods. Well to make a short story longer, a was on vacation and stopped by First Choice in Wilson, NC. There is such a place and they do have a good looking line of equipment! Pieter gave me an excellent price and I decided to pick up a 60" rake while I was there, plus it saved me the shipping costs. Pieter even tried to match my Cub Cadet yellow paint but that wasn't available at the time. They didn't have any wheels in stock but I will probably order some in the future. I hope to use it in the next week or two and let you know how it stands up. I will probably look to them next year for a Rotary Cutter.

PS: How necessary are wheels? Do I really need them or can you manage without them?

Landscape Rakes

View my Photos
Matt W>

2002-07-21          40556

Just rented a 4 foot rake. By the time you angle it to where you want/need it the working area is rather small. Before buying think about what you'll be using the rake for and the area you'll be raking. The 4 footer did not meet my needs. I'm looking in the 6ft range myself. Good luck! ....

Landscape Rakes

View my Photos
DaveM

2002-07-22          40567

Matt,

Your right when you angle the rake you loose some effectivity of the rake width. I rented a 6' Woods w/blade and although it cleared a bigger path while I was maneuvering I was snagging trees. I figured a 5' rake would give me much more maneuverability around the many trees on my property that is why I settled on the 5' First Choice. ....

Landscape Rakes

View my Photos
TomG

2002-07-22          40570

I imagine that the angled rake no longer covers the tire tracks, which also is a problem with minimum sized blades. I looked at the Landpride site. A rake with gauge wheels, offset, end-plates and flip-down grader blade sounds very useful for the tractor but probably less useful for the wallet.

You might look at JonB's rock bucket pics to get a sense whether something like that would get the rocks out easier than a rake.

Landscape Rakes

View my Photos
MattW>

2002-07-22          40586

TomG, Do you know where JonB's rock bucket pics are?? ....

Landscape Rakes

View my Photos
TomG

2002-07-23          40600

Matt: The link is in a web link with JonB's post yesterday to a thread titled 'Rock Bucket.' ....

Landscape Rakes

View my Photos
Ironpeddler

2002-08-11          41159

Sweet Tractors has landscape rakes from $425 up ....

Link:   

Click Here

Landscape Rakes

View my Photos
Matt W>

2002-08-13          41220

Sweet Tractor link above is too commercial. if you can help it stay away. What a loop! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login