Go Bottom Go Bottom

Disc Harrow use with Compact tractor

View my Photos
Nellie
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-05-02          38087

I am going to plant a pasture of about 1.5 acres. I have been told the best way is to disc the areas, broadcast the seed and disc again. I have a Kubota B-2910 and want to know how well a 5.5 foot disc will work with my tractor.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Stan

2002-05-03          38098

Nellie -

I'm no expert, but the "discs" I'm familiar with will turn up the soil too much after you spread the seed - and would probably leave the field too rough to plant on too.

My suggestion - disc first is OK, the level/smooth - a flexible tine harrow or piece of chain link fence with a piece of channel iron both work.

Then spread the seed, and go over it again lightly with the flex tine or the fence.

I'd suggest getting a good flexible tine harrow - good for dragging areans, aerating pastures, working up the pasture droppings, smoothing gravel paths, etc.

Good Luck,

Stan ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-05-03          38102

Like Stan, I don't have a disc harrow, but my impression is that using one may not result in the best planting depth.

From a quick scan, I gathered that working depths of disc harrows are controllable by adjusting the angle of the discs. Still, I don't know if 'controllable' means that a disc harrow can produce a thin covering of soil on top of broadcast seeds. I noticed that operators manuals are available on the Landpride site but a free Acrobat reader much be downloaded to read the manual. Maybe an operator’s manual would shed some light on the question.

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-05-04          38140

Stan is correct I would recommend disking, leveling and then broad casting with the flex harrow behind.
Unfortunately none answered the main question which was will the B-2910 handle a 5.5 foot disk? Well you only have 22 HP and you are limited to the wheel HP as you have HST. As it is a small tractor you are limited in the highth the 3 pt hitch will lift.
To tell you the truth I have a set but I have never used them on my little tractor. Weight is important for the disks to cut properly and my set were too heavy for the JD 750 I had. I have not tried them on the JD 955 I have either, but as I have used a 6 ft straight and box blade I know it has the power(32 HP). I am just not sure that the 3 Pt will lift high enough to pick it off the ground. I have not seen 5.5 disks used on a small compact tractor.
If the disks are cutting properly I don't believe you have enough HP. I can not find HP ratings vs disk size in a web site, but this is my view. ....

View my Photos
dsh123

2002-05-06          38193

Nellie,

I used a 5.5 foot Tufline disc with my 25 horsepower tractor this spring. It worked well, but I had to work very slow. I believe that the Monroe Tufline website gives horsepower ratings for their equipment (discs, etc). As Peters pinted out, you should find out the weight of the disc you want to use and check the weight capacity of your 3 point hitch. Also, I have a loader on my tractor which gives it more front-end weight, which I don't think should be an issue for you.

I would follow Stan's advice on leveling the pasture after discing and before seeding, and then lightly dragging after seeding. The selling of the seed will give you advice on this.

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-05-06          38197

The Tufline equipment is fairly light. But they do not really have a HP range. If you extrpulate the values they give you you come up with 22 hp for a 5.5 ft disk. I am not sure I would use the tufline figures. If you had trouble with 25 hp then the 22 would give more problems. I think I would stay with 4 ft.
There are three sets of bearings used. The sealed will require slightly less power. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-05-06          38198

Have a look at the flex or chain harrows. There are three different ways to use them that control the agressivenes of the cutting action including flipping them over, so the teeth point upward, for leveling. I see a lot of them in use, presumably for reseeding, on pasturelands where I live. ....

View my Photos
Alan L

2002-05-10          38463

Nellie, I have a B2710 and a 6.5 foot disk harrow. I pull it as fast as I can go in medium range in heavy clay soil, with 200# of extra weight on in help it dig in better.

Other than a louder whine from the HST than I normally experience mowing or doing other chores, it seems to work fine. I have been using it about 1800 to 2000 RPMs and the only time it slows down is going up a pretty steep incline with the disk in the ground.

The 3-point picks up the disk just fine. The only trouble I have is that I have to back it out of my shop (about a 10" drop off the concrete) because when I tried going forward the disk hit the concrete before I could get out of there.

I'm doing much the same thing as you are. When I planted rye grass last fall I just disked and then broadcast the seed. However the Sudan I plan on planting for the summer needs to be covered an inch or so by dirt, so I plan to drag a chain link fence over it after broadcasting the seed. I'm also going a little heavy on the seed to compensate for not drilling it.

If the 5 footer had been available thats what I would have gotten, but you have a couple more horses and it shouldn't be any trouble at all. Pulling the disk is actually kind of fun, but its taking a couple of passes to really get last falls' rye crop turned completely. Now its raining, so I'm running behind....... ....

View my Photos
Nellie

2002-05-11          38496

How big of a piece of chain link are you going to use? Are you going to weight the chain link? ....

View my Photos
steveP in Buffalo

2002-05-12          38523

My Cub Cadet is 26 hp 4wd and pulls my 5.5 foot disk harrow just fine. Notched disks in front, smooth in rear give good bite and then decent finish. Having turf tires is not an advantage so I leave the snow chains on the rears for traction. The disk is for the spring - I use a single bottom plow for fall "turn over". The drag harrow is something I could use..... ....

View my Photos
Stan

2002-05-15          38638

Nellie -

Just looked back and I'm the only one who mentioned chain link...so I guess I'm up.

I don't use chain link any more - I bought the flex tine harrow a few years ago.

But, I would say you could use a piece of 6 foot wide by 10 ft long. You couls easily pull more, but this is a good compromise when working around corners, arenas, and so on. I used to use several 6' T posts or some lumber for weight, then I found a piece of 2" channel iron (about 30-40# I recall) that worked OK. Too much weight and I dug too deep in the sand arena. For seeding, just the fence is sometimes used.

Hope my memory is good and that this helps. If my pastures ever dry out, I need to reseed a few sections too.

Good Luck (with the seeding or the growing, depending on how far you got).

Stan ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login