Go Bottom Go Bottom

Implement advise

View my Photos
mjp
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-02-01          35168

I've got a 15 hp deisel 2 wheel drive tractor(Cat 0 hitch) that I want to put to use on some light land leveling (about an acre mixed with some trees). Can anyone tell me why I would consider a box blade over a regular rear blade. also, I've noticed that the Cat O implements are considerably lighter than the Cat 1 Implements. Can I use a cat 1 implement and switch the pins or would a 350lb. implement be too heavy vs. a 200lb one? Am I tackling something thats meant for a larger tractor than thetractor can handle? Advise is appreciated before I decide what to do. Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Implement advise

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2002-02-01          35172

Can you use a category I implement and change the pins? Yes, IF your lower links will spread far enough apart to fit onto the pins without rubbing your rear tires. Is it too heavy? I don't know; how much weight is your 3-point hitch rated for? And are you tackling something that's meant for a larger tractor? Yes, or maybe not a larger tractor if you had 4WD. How hard is the dirt you want to level? A box blade has some scarifiers or ripper teeth that a straight blade doesn't, and I'm guessing you'd need such to loosen up the ground in some places; just guessing. The simple answer is that I think you can do it, but you probably won't like it, and it's going to take time. ....

Implement advise

View my Photos
BCalvin,Texas

2002-02-02          35199

I think Bird has some really good points ...but you say your unit is 2wheel drive and 15hp. Do you have the ability to add front weights to your tractor to offset the weight of the heavier implement????
With that light a tractor and you are working around trees I think I would look at a lanscape rake...I use one all the time and the teeth break down the soil like a box blade and will level the ground but the overall weight is spread out over the many teeth on the rake...it really works well as like you I have alot of trees the rake does not do any damage to the roots...I would look into that...besides that box blade is going to fill up with soil and that tractor is going to be digging itself in quite a bit... ....

Implement advise

View my Photos
mjp

2002-02-02          35209

I live up in the northeast so the soil is damp until mid summer. I've got a loader on the front so I guess I could add some weight. As to the rating of the hitch- 1000 lbs. I do have a york rake but I've I haven't quite found the right depth to run it since I get alot of slippage. I will try adding weight to the front & see if that works.- ....

Implement advise

View my Photos
Mrwurm

2002-02-02          35215

MJP, do you have the gauge wheels for your york rake. I have them on my 6ft york rake. A well spent $100 option. I think you can add them to just about any york rake. I have a small tractor. A john deere 18 hp 650 4x4. My hitch is cat 1 with about 1000 lb lift. I have found that I need front end weights when I use the york rake but not when I use the back blade. The york rake weighs about 350 lbs. The problem is this, when I lift the rake with the three pt the front end of the tractor actually bounces a bit and I lose that all- important steering connection with the ground. I am currently looking for a bigger tractor. I have grown tired of always being a little short on Hp, traction, and weight. ....

Implement advise

View my Photos
mjp

2002-02-03          35235

mrwurm- I suspected that not having the wheels was contributing to the problem but I wasn't sure. I think my questions have been answerd. I'll try adding wheels and see what luck I have. I too would like to upgrade due to the time it takes to get things done. Thanks for the input! ....

Implement advise

View my Photos
dsg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-02-03          35251

mjp,

What type of tractor do you have that has a category 0 hitch with a lift rating of a 1000 lbs. ?

David ....

Implement advise

View my Photos
mjp

2002-02-04          35272

dsg-It's a satoh beaver ....

Implement advise

View my Photos
mjp

2002-02-05          35306

ok here's another quesation. The rake I have is manufactured by Independent mfg. co. Inc. out of Neodesha, KA however, I can't seem to find a web site or phone # to contact to purchase the gauge wheels. ANy suggestions? ....

Implement advise

View my Photos
Mrwurm

2002-02-05          35310

There is no brand or manufacturer listed on my rake. The gauge wheels I purchased would fit on most rakes that I have seen. On mine, you simply remove the bolts from the three outermost tines on each side and replace them with longer bolts which pass through the gauge wheel mounts. The height is then adjusted out near the wheels. ....

Implement advise

View my Photos
mjp

2002-02-05          35331

Mrwurm- Where did you purchase the gauge wheels from if may ask? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login