Go Bottom Go Bottom

Rear blade size

View my Photos
Cliff Addison
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-12-24          22764

I have been looking for a good used blade for some time now and have decided to buy a new Monroe Tufline GB1. For the money and the quality of the the blade I don't think a guy can go wrong. My question is should I go with a 5 or 6 foot blade. My tractor is a 1320 NH 4X4 hydro. The tractor is 20hp. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Rear blade size

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-12-24          22767

From what I have been told on this board, a lot depends on it's use. The one thing I would look into is the clearance between the rear tires and the blade tip. A six footer might not rotate. I was surprised by my tc29. I have less clearance for my old 6' blade than I had on my smaller J/D. The blade scrubs the tire when I rotate it 180 degrees and barely makes it past the tow bar. I could have put a 7' on the J/D, but not on this larger machine! ....

Rear blade size

View my Photos
Cliff Addison

2000-12-24          22776

Cutter,

I will mainly be using the blade for some grading and dirt and gravel moving. Snow removal will probably be the biggest thing. I always figured it was better to have a little bit more than you needed than to not have enough when you did. Also I figured if I trade up in size I would already have an adequate blade. I'll have to see about blade dimensions since the dealer who sells them is located 150 miles from home. ....

Rear blade size

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-12-24          22792

Well, that is a nice blade that you are looking at. Since the blade offsets, as well as tilts and angles, it doens't matter so much if it is a 6' or 5'. You will end up moving the same quantity per pass, the 5' blade will just sink a little deeper. Yours ought to pull a 6 foot in most soil and snow, though the 5' blade will offset better, as an offset pull tends to cause the tractor to slide sideways. Of course the shorter blade almost requires some offset. If Monroe offers the end caps for that blade you might want to consider whether you are going to get them. I advise for endcaps because they make your back blade into an angling box blade plus make road crowning and ditching easier. Your tractor might pull a 5' blade with endcaps, but probably not a six footer. ....

Rear blade size

View my Photos
Jim Youtz

2000-12-26          22837

Cliff, a lot depends upon your use. I have a 5' blade for my JD4100 (20HP), and I wouldn't want a 6 footer. Not because I'm concerned about power. I think it would pull just fine. But the 5 footer rotates full circle around the hitch and doesn'i rub anything. I could not do this with a 6 footer. Also, I found that for some of the angle chores like ditching, more length tends to get in the way. However, plowing snow or grading gravel is of course easier to do with a longer blade. ....

Rear blade size

View my Photos
Cliff Addison

2000-12-26          22842

Jim,

Thanks for the impute. The more I think about it the more I think a 5 footer might be the way to go. I did use a friends 5 foot box scraper this past summer and it seemed to be the appropriate size for the tractor. As Roger stated, if Monroe offers the end caps or even if we manufacture our own, the tractor will probably handle the 5 foot better for most applications. A guy I know has a Monroe on the back of a larger ford that I believe is a 5 footer. I am going to run down and do a little measuring this evening. Thanks again. ....

Rear blade size

View my Photos
DFB

2000-12-26          22852

Cliff, just for the record I use a 6ft rear blade on my JD4100. With R4's I can rotate the blade a full 360. Can't do it at full lift but the trick is to lower the blade some to level it out. ....

Rear blade size

View my Photos
TomG

2000-12-27          22862

I think a longer blade can be an advantage. I did three jobs this summer that required both lengthwise and side-to-side grading. I crowned two gravel drives and built a 15'x50' trailer pad into a slight grade using a 6' box scraper. With the 6' blade, two cuts on either side of the drives left about the right width on top of the crown. With the trailer pad, three cuts were required, but I was able to overlap the cuts a bit using the 6' blade. Anyway, it's a bit of a trick matching up the angles and depths of cuts anytime several cuts are required across the width of a grade. It's pretty easy to end up with a saw-tooth. A longer blade can cut down the number of cuts required and make the work a bit easier. ....

Rear blade size

View my Photos
Brent B

2000-12-27          22872

When buying a blade, be sure to consider lift height. I bought a BushHog angle/tilt/offset model and tryed to put it on my 4200 with turf tires. The 3 point pins were so high that I could hardly lift it off the ground.

Brent ....

Rear blade size

View my Photos
Jeff B

2000-12-29          22920

I'm using a 6' Land Pride blade on my NH TC33, mostly for snow. No problems with lift height or rotating it 360 deg. The nice thing about the larger blade is that even when side casting, its wider than the tractor. Helps when I'm moving the snow off the edge of the road. Jeff ....

Rear blade size

View my Photos
Cliff Addison

2000-12-30          22924

Well due to all the inclement weather I haven't been able to make the 150 mi. trek to get my blade so I picked up a used older Servis 6' blade until I can get my Tufline. My 1320 measures 56.5" wide at the rear tires so the 6 foot blade works great. Everything cleared just fine when rotating the blade. I can see where the offset would be an asset when moving snow. We had some major wind Thursday eve. that created some big drifts, a little offset and angle would have been nice to pull the snow away from the drifts. I had plenty of power but traction was some what of an issue. All I can say is with a FEL and a rear blade these little dudes can move some snow. All my neighbors sure think I'm a swell guy. Now how about a heated cab!!!! ....

Rear blade size

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-12-30          22925

Cliff, is that older Servis one of the old yellow ones? the kind with the main arm going back being somewhat deeper in the front than back at the blade pivot? And has angle, tilt, and offset? If so, those old Servis Rhinos are a whole different breed from the modern Rhino. For many years Servis didn't make any lightweight blades, and their old standard is hard to beat. The only problem with the old Servis Rhino is that they are a pretty heavy blade... and anything under a 30 hp tractor is going to have trouble toting the smallest -the 6 footer. I don't think they made anything shorter back then. I've been looking for a 6 footer myself. I've got pictures of the two blades if anyone is interested.

Rear blade size

View my Photos
Cliff Addison

2000-12-30          22926

Hi Roger, This one has the round shaft, same Servis yellow though. It is a lighter duty blade that only has the angle at the blade. I know the one you are refering to though. A dealer here in town has a few of the old Servis blades and they are heavy duty. Don't think the 'ol 1320 would like one of those very well. I am not sure how old this blade is but is still has the original Servis tag on it. It seemed to work well and was in great shape other than needing a fresh coat of paint come Spring, (know where I can get Servis yellow). For a $135 bucks it will work till I get the Tufline blade. We have a King Kutter dealer in town and their light weight blade was a $170 and the local implement dealer wanted $275 for an identical one. I paid for part of it last night clearing drifts out of the neighbors driveways! Anybody have any other opinions on the Monroe Tufline blades? ....

Rear blade size

View my Photos
Gary Anderson

2000-12-30          22930

Cliff, Glad you found a blade, Yes and a heated cab is nice along with the c-d player and winshield wipers and coffee cup holders, gee I hate to even get out to shut the garage door (sigh) Where we have had snow everyother day, racking up a lot of cab time lol, gary ....

Rear blade size

View my Photos
Cliff Addison

2000-12-30          22932

Gary, It will do until I can get to Jefferson City or the farm show in KC. I am really looking forward to getting the Tufline blade. You must have a little bigger tractor! I borrowed a buddies the other day, about got clostrophobia being in a cab and all that heat and music. Just wasn't the same as freezing you're tail off and enjoying the open air...yeh right! :-) ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login