Go Bottom Go Bottom

Scraper blade

View my Photos
ANeimann
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-01-21          176525

I would like to purchase a rear scraper blade for a Kubota B7500 (4WD,21hp) tractor but not sure what length to purchase. I will be grading a gravel road with an 8 - 10 degree slope. Can it handle a 6 ft. blade or should I purchase a 5 ft. blade? Also, any source or brand recommendations.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Scraper blade

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-01-21          176526

I am not putting you off here, you've mixed measurements. Do you mean 8-10% slope (grade)? or 8-10 degree incline (angle)? Because when dragging a load of gravel uphill, there's a big difference between a 10 percent slope and a 10 degree incline. Example: a hill with a 20% slope is equivalent to an 11 degree incline.

Short of that, matching horsepower to the task is only one consideration when selecting a blade. When you index a rear blade, the scraping width necessarily narrows. You want to select a blade that - when fully indexed - will still scrape a path that's at least as wide as the rear track.

Brand selection on the other hand is a lot less technical. It pretty much boils down to "you get what you pay for". If it helps, I too thought I needed a rear scraper blade for gravel drive maintenance. Turned out to be a big disappointment. Traded the scraper for a boxblade and a landscape rake, and have had much better tended farm roads ever since.

//greg// ....

Scraper blade

View my Photos
ANeimann

2011-01-21          176527

Appreciate your reply. Although I am not exactly sure what the difference is between percent slope and degree incline, my best guess is that we have a 8-10 percent slope. My problem with the gravel road is that people spin their wheels leaving holes on the up side and hills on the down side. I need to move the gravel up the hill to fill in the holes that have been created. Is this response any more help? ....

Scraper blade

View my Photos
hardwood

2011-01-21          176528

Correct me if I'm wrong but to me a slope is measured in percentages from 100% slope being straight up and a zero percent being no slope at all?? Soooo, a 50 percent slope would equal a 45% angle??
I may be all wet on the slope vs. percentage thing, BUT.
As Greg said don't bother buying a rear blade, I had one, sold it. They aren't heavy enough to do anything on an already compacted anything. I too then bought a landscape rake, twice as usefull as a blade. Like a blade it won't tear loose anything that is compacted, but for spreading new gravel, loose soil, moving snow, it's got a blade beat seven ways from breakfast. I've even used as they are intended as a landscape rake to clear rocks, roots, etc. Not the magic bullet there either, but lots better than a blade.

Frank. ....

Scraper blade

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-01-21          176529

Yup. I tear down the high stuff with the boxblade - drop the scarifiers if/when necessary - and drag material in bulk through the low spots. When the coarse work is done, I swap the boxblade for the landscape rake and procede with the fine work; level the whole thing side to side, then end to end. A lot easier/faster/prettier result than wasting time with a rear scraper blade.

//greg// ....

Scraper blade

View my Photos
hardwood

2011-01-21          176530

Humm;

Greg; You real sure we aint twins?

How I'd rank my three point machines in order of being usefull.

No. 1 - boxblade w/scarifiers, on the tractor anytime something else isn't, for counter ballance weight for the loader.
No. 2 - landscape rake.
No. 3 - Rear mount finish mower.
No. 4 - Rotary cutter.
No. 5 - Tiller.
A rear blade I won't even rank, they're almost useless.

Two others I left out of the ranking, they are used as the need arises.
Backhoe attachment.
Auxillary generator on a three point frame W/PTO drive.

Frank. ....

Scraper blade

View my Photos
ANeimann

2011-01-21          176531

Thanks for all of the feed back. I'm now convinced a box scraper is the way to go. Will a 21hp 4WD Kubota pull a 5' box scraper or ahould I look for a 4'. Sorry, but I'm new to this business. ....

Scraper blade

View my Photos
greg_g

2011-01-21          176532

Again, selection should be based upon tires. If your tractor footprint is less than 48", get a four footer. It's more consistent with the horsepower rating. But if the footprint is between 48" and 60", get the five footer. You'll soon learn how big of a bite that 21hp will handle.

//greg// ....

Scraper blade

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-01-21          176533

My contrarian opinion is that dollar for dollar, your best investment is a rear blade. It's light to handle, inexpensive, can be used some in reverse, and doesn't have high traction demands. While the gannon is much better for cutting/scraping and pulling large volumes forward, a blade is better for moving loose material laterally.

Your hitch likely doesn't have power-down, so you may want to attach a supplemental weight. If you have to dismount with a wrench to adjust "one-side-higher," you can replace one of the vertical hitch arms with a crank one that lets you make this adjustment from the seat.

Most of the use-time the blade will be angled rather than perpendicular to the tractor. The angling also lets you control the effective width to some extent (as in squeezing through a gate). It should be wide enough that at maximum angle it at least covers the tractor track. ....

Scraper blade

View my Photos
treeman

2011-01-21          176534

I have a NH tc33d and have a rhino 7' blade which is 2' wider than the tractor. I grew up using a rear blade on the back of Ford 8n's and 801 tractors. I mainly use them for snow but have spread dirt and gravel too. When I got a 15 yard load of gravel for my drive, the rear blade didn't work as good as I wished. I either had it too high or it dug in too much. After I got the gravel spread out pretty good, I hooked on to a large, heavy duty wood skid, through on a bunch of weight, and pulled that up and down the drive. I could move the chain more to one corner so the skid angles and moves the gravel to one side. I'm not saying the skid idea is the way to do it, but it did have the ability to shave the high spots and deposit the gravel to the low spots. All conditions are different so don't buy until you know what you need. good luck. ....

Scraper blade

View my Photos
hardwood

2011-01-22          176541

Treeman;

Your homemade rig sounds almost identical to one that Dad made when I was a kid. Somewhere he got some 4 X 12 bridge planks, maybe 7 - 8 ft. long, stood them on edge about three feet apart and fastened them rigid together somehow. It seems like the planks slanted forward a bit maybe to let a bit of gravel go under them, I'm not sure. To change the angle from perpindicular to the tractor you just moved the clevis in the chain to shorten or lengthen one side or the other. He used to drag it around the farmyard to pull a bit of loose gravel into the potholes. After that one rotted out he got factory made one made of steel that had a lever to adjust the angle of the blades. Dad called it a "King Drag", I have no idea if that was a brand name or just what he called it.
Frank. ....

Scraper blade

View my Photos
earthwrks

2011-01-22          176543

Find someone or rent a power box rake aka Harley rake. Harley is a brand name. You need to grind the area around the low spots and make them homogenous substance-wise and compaction-wise. A power box rake can grind up the gravel and lay it back down for redistribution for recompaction. It will also grind off the high spots and fill in the low. I have a 6' that I use to maintain a mile long road. Then I use a regular box blade for intermittent grooming. I have a full-size roadgrader too but prefer the power rake and box blade combo. ....

Scraper blade

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-01-22          176546

In my opinion if you are wanting needing to pull the gravel along a box blade is best. If you are trying to round up a road than a scrape blade is. Landscape rake might work with gravel for that also. Do know pulling such is heavy and your tractor weight and thus it's traction will limit you. It is easier to take light loads than just spinning and doing little if anything. By chance do you have a friend who has box blade or scrap blade that you could borrow? ....

Scraper blade

View my Photos
goodolriver

2011-01-24          176572

I have a B7500, I used a friends 5ft boxblade (farmking, 400ish pounds), your tractor will have no problem with this size/weight, awesome tool.

I don't know what a harley rake is but if you're looking to purchase something I definately recommend a boxblade. As it stands I will be looking for one this spring too!

I assume you don't have an FEL, you can back up to a pile and drop the box on it, drive away and deposit it where you need it. This isn't an exact science but works pretty well, you can clean everything up later.

You may also need to tear up the area where the potholes are and then repack the entire area otherwise this will continue to happen - good luck without a blade and scarifiers!

I found that after i moved every thing around, if you tilt the front of the box blade up - it has front and rear blades, so you're leaning it on the rear blade - you can use the box blade to clean everything up and compact the gravel without scooping it.

IMHO if you are not using a FEL and you have to go a bit of a distance, moving the gravel would be harder with a blade as it'll slide off the side.

If you do have a FEL, the Box blade is fantastic as rear ballast, so it has more than one use.

farmking has a decent boxblade, not to pricy but solid and good quality. I wouldn't overspend on a boxblade, as long as the frame/3pt attach structure is real solid and you can replace the blades/swap them forward/back, that boxblade should last ages. ....

Scraper blade

View my Photos
hardwood

2011-01-24          176576

Like anything else there is someone somewhere who could destroy the best box blade ever built, but with any use they were intednded for none of us here will outlive one.
Mine is a Land Pride six ft. with seven scarifier teeth, probably had it big ten years. The paint could use some touch ups here and there but that's about it so far. I looked at the LP website it shows it at 549 lbs.
I'm sure I've mentioned this before but I use mine to tear the ice loose on our gravel drive. It works pretty good, makes a lot of noise and surely not a use that Land Pride would recommend, but so far no damage to the teeth, the frame or anyting else.
Frank. ....

Scraper blade

View my Photos
ANeimann

2011-01-24          176577

Sorry but I don't know what the letters "FEL" stand for but I appreciate your reply. Thank you, Al ....

Scraper blade

View my Photos
hardwood

2011-01-24          176578

Sorry, we do get a bit too complacent here thinking everyone understands our slang abbreviations.

FEL - Front end Loader.
MMM - Mid mount mower, (Belly mower).
RMFM - Rear mounted finish mower.

There are others too I've forgotten right now, but those are probably the most common ones you'll see here on Tractor point.
Frank. ....

Scraper blade

View my Photos
goodolriver

2011-01-24          176579

Hi there Al, I'm going to go out on limb here and assume that you are pretty new to Compact Utility Tractors (CUT)>

There is some really good info on this site, I suggest you spend some time searching any and all things you can find about your tractor, attachments, how to best operate them, etc. If you use the search bar you can find all sorts of posts/forums and you will learn an amazing amount of info about your tractor and it's workings.

You may also learn how not to break something before you do, always a good way to go about things!

Good hunting, neal ....

Scraper blade

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-01-24          176580

Believe it or not there can be some help on you tube also. At least of what not to do. LOL There are both there, some people showing how their implements work or how they do something and then those who show how their tore up something. One thing you will normally find with tractor owners are they are very helpful or willing to share info with you if you will just ask. Guess it has to do with the type of person who likes to play in the dirt. (normally) ....

Scraper blade

View my Photos
mkow1969

2011-01-29          176625

I seen one of these on craigslist one time and i think you might be talking about this... http://www.wikco.com/bgscraper.html it's scraper grader. My dad said they work great. Never seen one work but i'm thinking it would be useful in grading stone driveways. I think my dad said he seen them at tractor pulls years ago.

Let me know what you guys think. ....

Scraper blade

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-01-30          176645

Come to think of it, if you want to GRADE the surface (as opposed to transport the material), forgot the name but I've seen a tow-behind wheeled blade. It supposedly converts a tow vehicle into a poor man's grader. I think you can adjust the blade on the fly from the seat.

That rig solves the problem of the blade's changing height and angle as the tractor moves over uneven ground. If you attached wings at the blade end(s), you could turn the poor-man's grader into a poor-man's box-blade. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login