Go Bottom Go Bottom

Land Pride LR1560 Rake lift height on Kubota BX23

View my Photos
BX23Fan
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-08-08          144480

I'm having trouble getting my new rock rake (Land Pride LR1560) to lift off the ground more than 3" on my Kubota BX-23. The trouble is that the top link arm on the 3pt hitch can only be shortened so far. there are two holes on the LR1560 where the top link arm can attach -- I've tried both and the result is about the same -- max lift is 3". Is there something I'm missing here or do I need to get a different top link arm that can be shortened further?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-08-09          144500

I don't know about the BX series, but on the larger 'Botas there are 3 holes where the drop links (the vertical arms that connect the lower arms to the rock shafts) connect to the lift arms, by changing which of the 3 holes the pin is in, you can bias it to lift higher, or drop lower.

Changing the length of the top link will cause the implement to pivot around the lower pins, this will change the angle at which the teeth will encounter the earth, making them bite more or less depending on which way you go.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-08-09          144508

Murf,

Like you, I don't believe the problem here has anything whatsoever to do with the length of the top-link.

The the drop links are likely set too far back on the lifting arms.

BX23Fan,

I would pull the pins on the lifting arms, where the drop links attach, and then move the drop links to the hole closest to the tractor.

I've included a photo of the three-point hitch in a link below. The lifting arms extend outward from the tractor, and attach to the pins on the rake, one at each side.

In the photo below, you'll notice that the drop links arms, which attach to the lifting arms, are set in the hole furthest away from the tractor. I believe this is what needs to be changed.

Move the drop links to the hole closest to the tractor. This will provide you with much greater height adjustment, but it will greatly reduce your ability to set the rake at a precise height.

See Photo below.........

Joel

Link:   Three Point Photo

View my Photos
DRankin

2007-08-09          144510

The Bx does not have adjustable lower arms.

The problem is that the top link is too long for many applications. Talk about slow to respond? I complained to Kubota about this problem on my BX 5 years ago!

Anyway, My solution was to cut, shorten and re-weld the top link. A better solution these days would be to buy a set of "pats easy change" gizmo's.

That should give you enough extra length on the lower arms to make the odd-ball top link more usable. ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
botamac

2007-08-09          144516

I have a BX 23 and I use my 3 pt all the time to use a rake and a blade and mine lifts off the ground at least 12” I found that adjusting the top link will change the angle of the blade or rake. So I don’t think that’s the problem by any chance are you installing your arms on your tractor the right way? I’m just asking? The adjusting links and turn buckles should be in the rear and the spacer bar that holds your arms on the tractor should be installed with the short part of the J towards the ground and the pin from the under side up and the keeper on top. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2007-08-09          144530

A dealer I know in California sells a lot of BX's.

He orders all his implements with two sets of top link holes. One set for BX's and a regular set for every other tractor on the market.

View my Photos
BX23Fan

2008-04-03          152686

Wow, I posted this 7 months ago and forgot to check back for a response. Anyway, just wanted to close this thread by saying I figured out the problem shortly after posting. The key to getting maximum lift is to ensure that both ends of the top link have equal amounts of threads exposed prior to attachment to the tractor and implement. In other words, make sure the top link's middle section is centered. then, as you tighten the middle section by twisting it, there is more length available to reduce (thereby lifting the implement that much more). What I was doing wrong was to have start out with very few exposed threads left on either end, thereby reducing the amount of shortening possible. Simply geometry once you stare at it long enough. :)

The rake now lifts about foot off the ground. It still seems like Kubota could engineer this differently to avoid confusion, however once you figure it out it's not a big deal (for this rake, at least).

-Barry

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-04-03          152691

Quote:
Originally Posted by candoarms | view 144508
I would pull the pins on the lifting arms, where the drop links attach, and then move the drop links to the hole closest to the tractor. See Photo below.........Joel

Joel, my geometry may be a little rusty here but if you move the lift point closer to the tractor (away from the implement end) I think it reduces the lift height but increases the lifting capacity. kt

View my Photos
Murf

2008-04-03          152699

Kenneth, you're right, your geometry is a little rusty.

If you lift the same amount, but do it closer to the pivot point, the far end of the lever will rise further, the leverage though means you lose lift capacity.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-04-03          152701

Murf, I agree. For some dumb reason (EW syndrome? just kidding EW) I had it in my mind the lift cap and lift amount changed opposite of each other. Now I need to look at my lift arms. That is why I asked. kt ....

View my Photos
leejohn

2008-04-04          152738

Most rake pins are about 20" off the ground to be level, so you are starting out at say 20" doesn't give much more to max height or lift. Get you 2 3" X 8" 1/2" plates drill 2 7/8" holes one at each end. Take the old pins off and put the plates one on each side. You can use them or bolts to hold the plates. Get new pins and put in other hole hang the plate down and alittle FWD. Weld a good stop so they can not turn. If you use the old pins to hold the plates you well have 4 pins and it would be set for a bigger tractor or a small one. 5/8" plates are better and you can go more or less on the 8". I did drill the top hole 2" down and the lower holes 1 1/4 up from bottom. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-04-04          152742

leejohn, I did about the same on my scrape blade. Had a dropped down set of pin mounts added and put Cat 2 lift pins there for my CAT 2 and left the Cat 1 where factory put them for my Cat 1. Sure made that easier. kt

Forgot above, I have the Cat 1 pins turned out and the Cat 2 turned in so they do not catch lift arms when using the other set of pins.

View my Photos
leejohn

2008-04-04          152747

The only way the arm well hit the other pins if the top link would brake or if you have a real long top link. If it does brake I don't know if you could go high enough for them to hit? I would of put the cat. 2 on the outside and the cat 1 facing in. I put two cat. 1 on mine because I have a B7800 and L4240. The B7800 wouldn't lift it high enough I did drill another hole down for the top link about 2" I Forgot that in my frist post.
Lee ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login