Go Bottom Go Bottom

Posthole Digger

View my Photos
runslikeadeere
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-04-30          141669

I am contemplating building a fence and may start the project by buying a 3-point posthole digger to use with my JD 790. Since I have never owned or operated one I would like some advice on things to consider concerning the purchase and operation. Although I do have a bit of experience, as many years ago, I did rent a two-man thing that worked my brother and I pretty hard one very long day. I still remember what happens when we were caught unaware by a root deep in the ground. We both had no trouble sleeping that night! As much of the planned fence will be along an old tree line I am wondering how well it might work under such conditions. Thank you.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Posthole Digger

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-04-30          141674

You didn't say as to how old the tree line was and you might have some fun. I like to get the best teeth available. The ones that say frozen ground work nice in most all conditions. ....

Posthole Digger

View my Photos
bvance
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-04-30          141676

I'm not familiar with a JD 790, but does the 3 pt. have down pressure? If it doesn't and you try to go thru roots, clay, or rocky soil, it will be a chore. Someone will have stand by the PHD and apply down pressure manually. That's why some PHD's for smaller tractors come with a long bar attached to it so you can get leverage for the down pressure. Absent the bar it's hard to get any leverage.

If you have a bunch of holes and expect tree roots of any size, say bigger than 1 inch, I would rent a Skidsteer and a PHD that has serious down pressure to work thru the roots etc. It's a lot easier.

Brian ....

Posthole Digger

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-04-30          141679

My only comment concerns saftey. In my judgement a pto post hole digger is probably the most dangerous piece of equipment I ever had on a three point. In fact I bought one, used it a few times and sold it on an auction before someone got hurt with it. Please be extra carefull. Frank. ....

Posthole Digger

View my Photos
bvance

2007-05-01          141684

Frank, I couldn't agree more. Safety is another reason I suggested a Skidsteer with down pressure so as to eliminate the need for another person applying dangerous, manual down pressure.

Brian ....

Posthole Digger

View my Photos
Murf

2007-05-01          141688

Much as I like doing things myself, with my own gear, there's times I leave things to the pro's to do.

Post holes are high on the list. It beats up equipment and operators alike. If you look around there's usually a contractor in your area with a big tractor or truck with a post driver mounted on it.

IMHO, there's no better way to set wooden fence posts than with a driver. A good operator gets them plumb & true everytime, and in a row so straight it will be amazing.

Best of luck. ....

Posthole Digger

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-05-01          141695

In my phd experience not having down pressure was not a major issue. Am sure in some soils or roots or such it is. I sure would not want to be the person applying down pressure by hand. Do use slow rpms if you are in roots as if you catch enough roots the bit can run down very quickly, even lifting the tractor. If you will search this site you will find many suggestions on PHD. If you use a pto model and you do jam it with roots, cut the tractor OFF, with PTO disengage use a pry bar to manually reverse the bit. Be sure it is removed before you operate it again. BTW, I had much rather use the tractor PHD than the hand held models. kt ....

Posthole Digger

View my Photos
ronald65

2007-05-01          141696

If you have much use for it, I surely recommend a Hydraulic unit hanging on the back of the bucket of front end loader.I used 3 point model for years but with my new tractor I bought a McMillan The Base plate mounts to back of bucket in right hand corner and stays on bucket. when you want to use PHD just drive up to it and put one swivel pin in. plug in two hoses and go drill vertical holes even on a slope.Ron ....

Posthole Digger

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-05-01          141704

bvance: The long lever on the auger head: isn't that for levelling the head? I can't see how that would apply downpressure. Downpressure is usually through a separate hydraulic cylinder attached to the boom.

I use a skidsteer to auger holes. And have used a 3pt auger. The 3pt auger can literally screw itself into the ground getting caught even on a small rock or root. Even sticky clay will prevent it from being lifted out.

Short of a skid steer I'd be inclined to rent a Toro Dingo, Ramrod, Kanga, or a Bobcat, etc. rubber tracked stand-on or -behind skid steer with an auger. It will make the work fun. ....

Posthole Digger

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-05-02          141721

One point I think we none covered, depending on how close you want to place the post to the trees, a 3 pt phd may require you to back into each location at an angle where a phd on the side might allow you to drive straight which should be quicker and straighter. If you are not putting in a fence for looks, you might be better off with metal post that are driven in. kt ....

Posthole Digger

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-05-02          141725

Kenny, that's where a skid steer --big or small comes in: you can spin perpendicular (that's 90 degrees, Ken LOL) to the fence line.

As far as having a PHD on the loader bucket, I considered it before I got a skidsteer, but at least on my backhoe loader it just wouldn't be practical as I can't see the outer edges of the bucket anyway because of the front tires, so you wouldn't be able to see the alignment mark on the earth. And the same physics are at work as far having an auger on the bucket and getting it stuck. In fact having a stuck auger on the side increases the chance of a.) overturning the machine if you tried to pull it out---sort of like sidehilling with an unequalized load biased to the downhill side. And b.) possibly wracking or twisting the loader linkage/arms. Ooopsey! ....

Posthole Digger

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-05-03          141728

EW, even as fast as you are every turn takes time and if you are able to just drive a straight line (I know you go in well not exactly circles ;-)) makes it easier and quicker. kt ....

Posthole Digger

View my Photos
ronald65

2007-05-03          141742

Earthworks, On my front end loader on Kubota tractor, the mounting plate is on the back of the bucket facing me on right hand side, I can see the mark to drill very easily.if the auger hits rocks or roots I can remove my finger instantly and auger stops instantly. I can press reverse button and auger reverses until it is free.never tips at all, even on s slope.My control button is on end of joystick so I have complete control of rotation and down pressure. Ron ....

Posthole Digger

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-05-03          141758

DOH! My bad. Yes, if it's hydraulic you can reverse it. ....

Posthole Digger

View my Photos
runslikeadeere

2007-05-04          141778

Thanks for all the great information, guys. The consensus seems to be that I should stay out of a tree line with a PHD on my JD 790! Since I am a firm believer in Murphy's Law, I have decided to not spring for one until I decide to fence across an open area. As usual, I have learned much. ....

Posthole Digger

View my Photos
pitt_md

2007-05-23          142388

I have a 3pt. PHD that I use on my 30 acre hobby farm. I put in a lot of fence post with it. My Kabota MX5000 does not have down preasure with the 3pt hitch. I put a lot of the fence close to the woods and never had a problem. often I would see root chuncks the size of a baseball come out of the hole. I also went through a lot of clay with no issues. If you hit a rock big enough straight on your done. smaller ones the size of a softball coame right out of the hole for me. I was using a 9" auger. One thing to add is that the lever on top is just used to start the drill at the angle you want, and not to apply down preasure. The safty thing is an issue and I would never let anyone even close when running your PHD. If you have problems take the time to safely correct them with the tractor OFF. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login