Go Bottom Go Bottom

4 or 5 Box scaper for 4100

View my Photos
Harry Webster
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-02-28          13210

I am looking at box scapers to fit my JD4100, can this machine handle a 5' scaper or would a 4' be better suited. I will be using the scaper to level a new pasture area where the trees have been freshly removed. Farm and Country has a 5' King Kutter on sale for $299.00 Is this a decent brand? HarryW

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Frank R Taylor

2000-02-28          13211

I think you'll find that John Deere probably recommends a 4' box scraper on this size machine. My experience has all been with a 4' scraper but maybe some of the other guys have tried a 5' on this model but I can see it being hard work for the 4100. I'm not familiar with this particular scraper but the price seems very good. I paid $400+ for mine but it's heavy, heavy duty. Does it look strong enough to do the work you want to do? ....

View my Photos
DanaT

2000-02-28          13216

I think you would be happer with a 4' box blade. I've got a 5 1/2' on my 755, I have alittle more weight (loader)than a 4100. There are times it can be alittle too wide, It's also a king kutter brand & I've had no problems with it, my 20 hp tractor will never hurt it! ....

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-02-28          13220

Harry, I don't know enough about the dimensions of the 4100, but I tried a 5' box blade on my 17hp Kubota and it wasn't bad (in fact, I'd have kept it if it hadn't broken), but then I bought a 4' heavy duty blade and it was probably better for a tractor of that size. Now that I have a 27hp Kubota, I traded for a 5' box blade. The 17hp tractor's outside width at the rear tires was about 40", but the 27hp tractor's outside width at the rear tires is about 54". You want a box blade at least wide enough to cover your rear tracks. I'd guess that the 5' blade would be better for smoothing and leveling loose dirt, but if you start scraping hard, heavy material, and using the rippers or scarifiers, then you may be happier with a 4' blade. ....

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

2000-02-28          13223

Harry,
I also have a 4100 and have contemplated the purchase of the box scraper in question. I wondered about its durability, and unfortunately I've yet to purchase one. So I can't comment on performance.. But I do remember an old local farmer who always used to say "you can break your thumb off in your A*$ if you try hard enough!" Guess there is alot of truth to that statement. As far as the size, OMO, I would prefer a 5' over a 4'. Mostly because I prefer the unit to be equal or slightly wider than my tractor. Naturally, if your plans include sinking all scarifier teeth into hardpack...the 5' might overpower the 4100. So...sink less teeth or equal to that of what you would on a 4' unit. Assuming your plans include leveling...OMO,I think you'd be much happier with the 5' model. ....

View my Photos
mbjacobs

2000-02-28          13237

For what it's worth, the label on my el'cheapo box blade says you need 5 hp per foot of blade. ....

View my Photos
Jim Youtz

2000-02-28          13239

A JD4100 (with R4 tires) is 45" in width, so a 48" box scraper would be okay. ....

View my Photos
gerard

2000-03-01          13290

I saw the King Kutter in the ad the other day. Only problem I saw is there is no corner piece welded into the top corners which makes it quite a bit weaker than if it had corner pieces. All depends on what you want to do with it. I use a 5ft on a 27 hp Kubota with no problems and wouldn't go smaller. Great implement though and very versatile. I think the last post of 5hp per foot is a good rule of thumb too. ....

View my Photos
Don in Oregon

2000-03-01          13330

Hi all. I've been selling Rhino blades and box scrapers for years. Not an el-cheapo product like King Kutter. High quality implememts. Fantastic rear blades available for compacts with features like swing/offset, angle and tilt. Even hydraulic options for small tractor applications. You get what you pay for. ....

Link:   Link to Rhino implements

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-03-02          13342

Don, I've had an 8 foot Blade by Servis Rhino on my big older JD tractor for years and I agree that it has got to be one of the best blades made. I use it for heavy dirt moving and contouring. It has tilt, angle, and offset as well as end caps. With the end caps it does similar work to a box blade but with a wider path and more precision.
I've been recommending this blade + the end caps for awhile now, although so far only one person has written me back to say that they have gotten one. Maybe it is because they are several times the price of an inexpensive back blade.
But this spring I think I'll take my own advice and buy a six footer for my 33 HP compact tractor...which finally brings me to my question...You being a dealer and all, just what is the difference between my old Servis Rhino blade and the newer Rhino blades that you sell now?.............Thanks, Roger L.

View my Photos
Don in Oregon

2000-03-02          13375

Roger, the main differences are the larger variety of models and options, and the color of the paint. It used to be yellow and now it's burnt orange. The overall design is the same. I would recommend a model 500 for your tractor. I've got one on my 35hp tractor. Nothing you can't do with it. I'm guessing your older blade is a yellow "BIG RHINO" which is now the model 800. Don. ....

View my Photos
JonB

2000-03-03          13382

Harry, my 4100 (4 ft Bush Hog box scraper) gets stuck easily when ripping or leveling hard clay. When the ground is broken up, I seldom get stuck. I reduce getting stuck by raising the 3PH, reducing the angle of the box, and making shallower runs with with the rippers. Fortunately the 4100 can raise the 3PH, allowing me to back up and try it again. A 5 ft box will get stuck more easily, but it will depend on the depth and angle you cutting and ripping, the type of ground you have, moisture content, and if you're working with stumps or rocks. Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-03-03          13440

Don, right you are! Mine is the older yellow blade. From what I see of the web site, it is a lot like the 800. Someday I'd like to measure the metal thicknesses that I can get to and see if they are still building them so heavy. Or I guess I could just weigh it and compare. I agree that the 500 looks like the right size for my 33 horse tractor. A lot of dealers don't carry these top end blade, but it is nice to let people know that they are out there. In your opinion, who else makes a really good blade? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login