Go Bottom Go Bottom

Planting a Lawn

View my Photos
bret gallagher
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-02-02          12449

I will be planting a new lawn on 3 acres the summer. I would like some advise on which implements would be best to prepare the ground. I have a ford 1920 with loader. The ground is fairly level, and is a clay loam with moderate rocks. Thanks.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Planting a Lawn

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

2000-02-02          12451

Bret,
I've been doing extensive research on exactly this topic. Mostly because I'm dreading renovating our 20 year old 2 acre yard. I have been searching for the "least" painful, yet most effective way to approach this task. As with most situations, talking to people in the business proves to yield the best advice. In your situation, Sounds like renting a power rake would do the trick. This implement will level & screen the soil in preparation of a turf bed. I am able to rent one for about $150 a day. The unit itself weights about 1500-2000lbs depending upon size and manufacturer, hence requiring a hefty trailer for transport. Personally, I would take my tractor to the rental place, and attach it on site. The smallest unit requires about 30 PTO HP minimum. I've also been told to spread about 250lbs of grass seed per acre, at least for the type of seed I'm told would work best in our soil. I'm not sure if this varies by seed type, or if that is just a rule of thumb. Secondly, things may vary by geographical location. And yes I had a quote for having it professionally done...Give or take $5,000-6,000. ....

Planting a Lawn

View my Photos
Paul Fox

2000-02-02          12452

I've done this a few times. The power rake is a GREAT way to prep the surface. The only other things I would add is that I broadcast the seed, cover with clean straw, and then roll the whole surface to ensure good seed-to-dirt contact. I get great germination. You can cover with hay, but you'll get a lot of weed seed that way. I usually fertilize and lime when raking to get the nutrients mixed in and avoid burning the seed. ....

Planting a Lawn

View my Photos
Bruce Pirger

2000-02-02          12458

For those who don't know, like me, what is a power rake? What does it do? Will
it take the top few inches of dirt, chop it up, screen out the stones/clumps, then lay down a nice few inches of level, loosely packed dirt? I have an acre clearing in the woods which I have been mowing down. It is primarily golden rod and other weeds...very little grass. One of these days it will become the back yard...once I build the house. I been wondering how to plant this. ....

Planting a Lawn

View my Photos
bud in oh.

2000-02-03          12469

Bruce, a power rake is run off your pto,it has a reverse rotating drumb that keeps the dirt churning in front of the rake so as to pulverize clods to leave a fine ssed bed 1-2 inches deep.Most power rakes swivel from side to side hydraulicly to windrow stones and or grass,weeds,and other trash into piles so you can clean them up with your loader.They say you can dethatch a lawn or go in a yard needing complete renovation and make two passes,one pass to tear existing grass out and a second to fine tune the seed bed.Finn corp.and Harley make a power rake Harley being better known here in Ohio.Most rental places usually carry some sort of power rake. ....

Planting a Lawn

View my Photos
Chris

2000-02-03          12472

What kind of grass seed works best for new lawns? Where can a guy get it in bulk? I have about 4 acres to seed this summer. ....

Planting a Lawn

View my Photos
Paul Fox

2000-02-03          12473

What seed to use depends mostly on the climate in your area, and to a lesser extent, your soil type. Your local Feed and Seed outlet (ie, Blue Seal Feeds or Agway or some such) should have a good idea. ....

Planting a Lawn

View my Photos
Greg franklin

2000-02-03          12485

A college instructor on turf management told us that to wait a couple of weeks or so between the application of lime and fertilizer. The lime will "lock-up" the nutrients in the fertilizer. I am in the transition zone between warm and cool season grasses. I use K31 fescue until established (i.e. killed ALL the bermuda) and then over seed with a turf fescue (thinner leaf, darker green). Good luck, Greg ....

Planting a Lawn

View my Photos
CHRIS

2000-02-03          12501

I am trying to seed rye on 3 acres and it all wants to wash to the low spots every time it rains. I am just broadcasting it with a spreader. Does anyone have any ideas. ....

Planting a Lawn

View my Photos
DanaT

2000-02-04          12505

I put the seed in the ground, If you have a loose seed bed,or make it loose-broadcast the seed-light setting on a tiller or harrow or springtooth to stir in the seed & then drag bed springs over it to smooth & settle the loose ground. I don't have to add any water if timming is right, if mother nature will rain alittle. this is the way I do it & it works for me every time but your location & rainy season could make a differance. the deeper the seed is in the ground the moister it will be just don't go to deep depending on the type of seed. It will take longer for it to come up but I have a good stand when it does & I don't pump my well dry! Works for me in Kansas. ....

Planting a Lawn

View my Photos
Bill

2000-02-04          12512

First thing to do, is to go to your local Agway or whatever farm stor is in your area, and get a soil analysis kit. The one from Agway is from Penn State Ag and is only about $7 including the testing. This will tell you exactly how much fertilizer and lime you need for the seed that you want to use. You can't just assume that the basic fertilizer needs are in the soil, and using those starter fertilizers are great after the basic balance is right, but certainly not good enough all alone. I have found that tilling the soil to a depth of 6-8 inches works the best after you have put all the lime, and basic fertilizer required down on the soil. These must be mixed into the soil in the top 6 inches to establish a good root system. These basics do not easily migrate through the soil. I have seen many lawns which were planted in the top two inches of soil, go brown and have to be replanted after last summer, with the drought that we had here. MLS, you qoute for $5,000-6,000 I'll bet only included roughing up the top 2 inches. Yes you'll get a beautiful lawn, but not one which is drought, and therefor disease resistant. Think about it, The roots need to go deep, and if your soil is hard, it ain't gonna be very easy for them to do so if it isn't tilled. So what I would say is to get a tiller rental, then some type of rake to sift out the rocks (I used a Rock Hound on a Skid Steer, I am not sure if they can be mounted in place of a bucket, but it needs independant hydrolics and controls, so the skid steer is maybe the easiest) My lawn was beautiful again after the rain we had in the fall, but those others I said about above, all died out. Do as you wish as it is your money, but it didn't cost me much more to do it this way than not. Good luck to all and pray to the rain gods. Bill ....

Planting a Lawn

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

2000-02-04          12514

Bret,
The dept on a power rake is adjustable...I think up to about 6" deep. Of course, I wouldn't expect to go that deep the first time around, depending upon your soil type. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login