Go Bottom Go Bottom

metal fence post needed to be romoved

View my Photos
rogermo
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-08-25          115422

Being a tractor lover and wanting to find new ways to get tractor time, I am going to go to the drive in theater this eveining on mine with the wife sitting in the bucket with the pop-corn. Any way how would one go about pulling up metal fence post. 7 footer I think. I have a 4110 with fel and 3pt hitch. I tried the buck and used it to catch the bumps on the post, it sliped off. Dug with the bucket and it got it lose so I could pull and tug by hand. But I have many of them to remove. What about a chain around the bucket or the hitch. Any ideas.

thanks

roger

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
rogermo

2005-08-25          115424

here is a picture of the real tractor owner, I am just the guy that works with it. ....

Picture Link
Operating and Attachments metal fence post needed to be romoved

View my Photos
AC5ZO
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-08-25          115428

I have removed a bunch of posts with the 3 PH arms. I have a drawbar between the ball joints and I just chain the drawbar to the post and lift. I have pulled out t-posts, wood posts, and metal posts. Generally the 3PH will lift quite a bit more than your maximum loader capacity. It did not work well on a small tree stump which seems to have roots that are pretty deep, but tree stumps always seem to be problematic.

If you don't have a drawbar, you can probably just use one side or use an implement like a subsoiler to attach the post too. The chain attachment technique is somewhat critical. Make sure that you have at least one full wrap of the chain around the post alone and then bring the ends back around to the lift arms. The chain will generally slip if you make just a simple loop. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-08-25          115431

I'd like to add that if you use a drawbar, wrap the chain close to one side rather than the middle. I've bent drawbars by pulling fenceposts if they have been cemented in. ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2005-08-25          115433

When he said a metal post with bumps, I figured that he meant a T post and it probably would not be cemented in.

But, you can certainly bend a drawbar on cemented posts or the tree stump that I was talking about, so I would agree with you about keeping the chain to one side. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-08-25          115434

We have to put in, and later remove a lot of t-bar for construction fencing.

We use a piece of chain and the utility bracket on the FEL usually, we first roll the curl mechanism as far back as it goes, then chain the t-bar up as close to ground as possible and up the back of the bracket to the top of it and secure it there, then with the FEL all the way down, start to roll the curl circuit open, as it passes top center and starts back down we put a scrap of timber in front of the bracket, this causes it to rise up on the wood and force the chain around the bracket and forwrds.

Since you are using the larger side of the cylinder to do this the force generated is maximized, and the timber means you either have to force the timber into the ground, or the t-bar out.

You could probably do the same thing with a regular bucket on a FEL by putting the bucket flat on the ground, and running the chain up over the back of the bucket and hooking it onto the cutting edge. I would be very careful doing it this way though, if the force got to great it could kink either the cutting edge or the back of the bucket.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-08-25          115437

Fence posts generally come out quite easily. The trouble I've found is the surprises that one runs into like when you didn't put the fence posts in yourself.

Like when you take out a whole row of them (like 50 or 100) and suddenly you find that a couple are cemented in like the end posts or when the fence had a T branch. I've also run into bolted crossbars at the bottom. These weren't driven in but dug and filled.

Having farm property that has been in the family for approximately 150 years, sometimes make me feel like I've been set-up by my relatives. (i.e. The nails in trees that totally ruin a chain saw blade and so on).

View my Photos
jegenrieder

2005-08-25          115467

I removed dozens of these by wrapping a 1/4 to 3/8 inch rope around it 7 or 8 times, tie it, that attach the other end to you bucket (teeth if you've got them). Should be no trouble and no slippage.

Jim ....

View my Photos
beagle

2005-08-26          115469

If they have any cement on them, the 4110 probably won't do it, 3-pt or bucket. With a cement ball at the bottom, any root nest that grew above the cment ball makes removal pretty drarn tough. We pulled about 150 cemented posts last year with a 30 ton ram on a T-frame. We used a 2" cable clamp above the T-Frame and jacked them out of the ground. We tried a JCB 210, and it wouldn't touch them either. If they were concreted, it can take a lot of jacking depending on the soil and the amount of growth in the area, and how long they have been in the ground.

Tee posts are a different story. Tee post pullers are around $35 bucks in Northern Tool or Harbor Freight, or Agri-Supply. TSC may even carry them. ....

View my Photos
MacDaddy

2005-08-27          115509

I recently removed some metal fence-posts w/ my 4310 & FEL. Looped a wire cable through the holes in the post, and when I applied uplift w/ the FEL the post snapped at the base. The next one came out concrete and all. A fence post in earth should come out with no problem at all, as long as you can grip the post w/ something. I agree w/ what Murf said... Id knock the post down to the ground, lower the fel on top of it, wrap your chain at the base of the post, then up around the back of the bucket. G'luck! ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-08-27          115510

Harbor Freight used to sell these for about $20 but I could not find them. Looks like Northern Tool sells a version of it. Mine works real good. ....

Link:   Tuggy T Post Puller

View my Photos
Chief

2005-08-27          115511

Something like this would appear to work well also. You could probably make your own and this idea has been around for years in one form or another. ....

Link:   Hydraulic Adapter for Yank-E-Z Fence Post Puller

View my Photos
earthwrks

2005-08-27          115516

I have used in the absence of a tracor either a hi-lift "farm" or "off-roader's" mechanical jack (about $40 from Tractor Supply) to just lift them out. The jack is rated for 7000 lb. lifting or pulling --can be used like a come-along too.

Another way is to use a relatively tall truck rim standing vertically up against the post in ine with the direction of pull. Attach a chain at the very base of the post and run it over the top of the rim and to the pulling machine (car, truck or tractor). The rim must be able to roll in line with the chain. Otherwise, it will fall over. As you pull backward the rim acts as a pulley pulling up the post. I have pulled shrubs and smaller tree stumps this way too. A simple but well-made A-frame made of 4x4's can replace the rim idea too. The taller the A-frame the more available leverage. The top of the A-frame has to withstand having the chain being supported at the top of the A. The bottom of the A-frame (the legs) should be at about a 45 degree angle to the post or ground to be most effective, with the top of it against the post---legs too far from the post and the legs may skid across the ground---too close to the post and you gain leverage but lose up-travel. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-08-27          115517

Took me awhile to find it but this is the same model I have. They are on sale from time to time. It is item 38444 on Harbor Freight's website. ....

Link:   T-Post Lifter

View my Photos
dieseltrctr

2005-08-28          115558

I wish I could remember what I saw a farmer use when I was a kid. He had just some sort of piece of thick metal with a lifting eye on it. It fit over the profile of the post and as you pulled up it held the post tight. It work similar to the way a sheet metal lifter does...if you have seen one of those. Wish I could help more. ....

View my Photos
Ym1110d

2005-08-29          115598

Here's the technique I use:

You need two people. One to operate the tractor, the second to hold the chain. Wrap the chain twice around the post and have the ground person hold the end. The other end of the chain is somehow hooked onto the loader. You raise the loader and the post pops right out. A quick flip of the chain and it's off. Two people used to working together can pull a post every couple of minutes. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-01-16          122865

I took out several fence post for my neighbor.
There were wood, 2'' pipe and steel post like used for chain link fences.
Some I dug out with the BH.
Others I removed by hooking a chain to the post and either the FEL or BH bucket

View my Photos
8x56mn

2007-02-06          139594

Well we own a commercial kennel and I'm constanly building runs and moving T posts. WhatI do that works slick is I have a 10 foot lenth of 1" dia. rope with a loop braided into each end. I'll try to explain the best I can. Take one end of the rope and make two half hitche loops and then take the bottom loop and shif it to the top, you now have two loops one over the other, now slip the loops over the post and slid them down to the ground and then pull the rope tight makeing the loops grab the post hook the other end to your FEL with your bucket as low as possible and pick. The rope will grab the post tight and will not slip. Easy on and easy off. It takes longer to explain than to do it. You can do the same with a chain. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2007-02-06          139599

I cleaned up a dog pen area for my next door neighbor that had a fence around it.
There were several wood, 2 inch steel pipe and chain link fence post.
Some I just pushed back and forth a time or 2 with the fel
then hooked a chain on the FEL or BH bucket and wrapped the chain around the post and lifted them right out. I had to dig around the others a little with the BH before using the chain.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ....

View my Photos
pitt_md

2007-05-23          142390

I have pulled over a hundred metal "T" post using my loader and a short piece of chain with two hooks. put one hook in the middle of the bucket (with it turned up) and tie the other end to the base of the post and lift slowly. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login