Go Bottom Go Bottom

Post hole digger downpressure kit worth it

View my Photos
funchy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-07-23          113817

Is a down-pressure kit worth the $ to add to a 3pt post hole digger?

I have a Land Pride PD10 mounted to my Bx23. It worked great last fall when the ground was wet and soft. But I'm trying to put in fencing now and am getting almost nowhere in the sunbaked clay soil. I've tried putting water on the spot to soften it, but it's VERY slow going. Got 1 hole done after fooling with it all evening.

Land Pride says they do offer an optional down-pressure kit for my model. Will this solve my problem? Roughly how much does it cost? I can't get pricing on it anywhere.

Auger bit isn't that old and for fun I sharpened the teeth, but it didn't help.

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-07-23          113818

Check to see if the teeth on the auger are sharp. That is the first thing that should be done. You might want to check on additional cutters that might be able to be added or a different one that might be more aggressive. You don't have a lot of weight with the rear of a BX to begin with. Making sure the rest is the best it can be first is the best move. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2005-07-24          113834

Me thinks the most important part of a auger is the point. It centers the auger and starts the bore. If the point is not working good the rest of the hole is going where it wants if you can even start one.

I have rebuilt mine several times and think longer and fluted is better. ....

View my Photos
beagle

2005-07-25          113871

I Agree with the previous posts. A down pressure kit may be a good addition, but make sure the augher is in good working condition first. Once you get through the top foot of soil, it should perform like last year.

The down pressure kits require rear hydraulics. Make sure you have a rear circuit or include adding them in the cost of the kit. I priced a Worksaver kit several years ago, not sure but I believe it was around $300. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-07-25          113872

Cut to the chase..... use the backhoe. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-07-25          113874

We cut the chase even shorter.

We used a flex coupling and mount traditionally used to hook a motor to a hyd. pump, to hook a hyd. motor to the auger's gear box directly using the 4 bolt holes around the input shaft. Hang the auger from the FEL and away you go.

More down pressure than you can shake a stick at, and if it gets stuck you now have reverse!!

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2005-07-25          113883

I feel bad now I always thought my 36" pipe wrench was a good reverse... :-( ....

View my Photos
funchy

2005-07-25          113888

THANKS for your replies.

re: auger. It was only used twice before this and I saw nothing really wrong with it. It does break into the soil with the tip (bout 6")but as soon as the wider digging teeth make contact isn't just not strong enough. I sharpened the teeth, but it didn't seem to help.

re: downpressure kit. Called my kubota dealer today and they highly recommend it. I ordered it for $400something.

I already have a rear hydraulic hose. Dealer didn't indicate I needed anything else, but I'm worried they have no idea what I need. Any guesses if I'd need to add a valve or anything else unexpected?

re: backhoe. No way can use it to put in fenceposts. The bigger the hole I make, the more concrete I need to pour into the hole. I'm using a 12" auger which is already a pretty big hole.

When I'm done I'll be installing tensioned "horse-rail" fence. It installs alot like hi-tensile so I need to have strong posts, especially at ends. But it's bonded with strips of plastic so it looks like rail from a distance.

Downpressure kit is supposed to be in stock in about a week. I really hope that solves my problem, as I have 150+ posts to install. ....

View my Photos
JAZAK5
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-07-25          113889

MY FRIEND HAS THREE TYPES OF BLADES FOR HIS POST HOLE DIGGER
1. STRAIGHT/LOOSE SOIL
2. SERATED/CLAY
3. CARBIDE/EXPENSIVE !! i THINK HE HAD THESE MADE,TURN ROCK INTO DUST/A LITTLE WATER IN THE HOLE AND YOU WILL DIG TO CHINA
I AM NOT A PRO HOW EVER I HAVE DUG MORE THAN 500 HOLES AND NEVER HAD DOWN PRESSURE ON ONE,I HAVE TO SIDE WITH THE SHARP POINT AND THE PROPER BLADES. ....

View my Photos
denwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-07-25          113891

Having a hose on the back sounds like power beyond and you will need a valve. Down pressure is gods gift to hole driling. A local fence installer still uses a tractor with a regular post hole digger???. He can't drill at times in the summer if it gets really hard. I told him I could dig anytime with my mini excavator auger attachment and he thinks I am kidding. I am probably lucky to still be intact. I remember as a teenager drilling holes sitting on top of the auger unit to add more weight, not very sensible looking back, didn't work well either. ....

View my Photos
funchy

2005-07-28          114010

Even after the rain showers, I'm still having a heck of a time digging. It grabs with the center drill part but when the teeth on either side made contact, it just goes nowhere. I tried sharpening the teeth but maybe I didn't do it right? Is there somewhere online I can get info about what angle auger teeth should be?

My dealer (Kubota) called today to say the downpressure kit I ordered came in. I double-checked with him asking if he's sure that's all I needed. Salesman: "Duh, I dunno." He guessed if I really needed to know he could ask someone and call me right back. Hours later he calls back. I need all sorts of parts (at over $500) to hook to the $400 downpressure kit. I did tell him when I ordered the kit it was for the BX23 which I bought new from them. It shoudn't be such a mystery what things are needed to make it work with their tractor. ((annoyed))

Asked about replacement teeth for this auger (bought it from them, too). They only sell "Bobcat (brand) teeth" and they had no idea if they'd fit or what my teeth looked like.

I wish I could just order these things online without having to deal with the idiot local dealer. The reason for buying local was supposed to be service & expertise, and I am now very disappointed.

Now what do I do? Do I pay the $900+ and hope they didn't forget to include some other parts? (price didn't include installation)

Are we sure it'll solve my problem? $900 is alot of money to me. Isn't there some other way I could add a little weight to the end of the digger for the same result?

Should I try a smaller diameter auger (current one is 12")?

Or where can I get a sharper auger designed for dry clay?

Where do I get new Land Pride auger teeth if my dealer is also the local LP dealer and won't order them? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login