Go Bottom Go Bottom

Hydraulic Top Link Cylinder

View my Photos
Tim
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-11-16          10166

Anyone know where I can get a hydraulic cylinder to replace the top link on my JD 4300? Sure would help when blading, then going to the other attachments.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
lsheaffer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

1999-11-17          10175

I have hydraulic top links available. Closed hole to hole lenghth is 21-1/4". Category 2 holes, so for cat. 1 will require a bushing ($.81). Price of top link is $225. Contact me at sheaftractor@coiinc.com or 815-284-3226 for more info. ....

View my Photos
Ted

1999-11-17          10177

There is no mystery to a Hydraulic top link, I have made 100's over the years. All you need is a hydraulic cylinder with a closed lenth of approx. 16"-18" and a pin dia. of 1"-2", some suitable size & length lines and fittings for your cyl. & machine. Your local equip. dealer will sell weld-on replacement "ball ends" for repairing top links (and the cylinder & lines & fitttings too likely). The total cost probably about $150. Take it all to your local welding shop, and, taa-daa, a hydraulic top link. Best of luck, and have fun. ....

View my Photos
ARK

1999-11-18          10201

TISCO, which is probally the largest supplier of aftermarket ag parts and supplies, has these toplinks available. They have the toplinks by themselves or in a kit with valve, fittings and hoses. Kits are available for Kubota tractors which will work on many compacts. Check with your local equipment dealer to see if they deal with TISCO and ask to see their catalog. ....

View my Photos
Mike S.

1999-11-18          10231

What advantage is there to using a hydraulic cylinder for the top link? The only advantage I can figure out is possibly the capability of adding down pressure for rear blades. Am I on the right track?
Mike S. ....

View my Photos
tom

1999-11-19          10233

I also wondered "why."

Guess that you could change the height and blade angle on the fly. However, if
that's the use, I suspect that it would be better to have the hydrolics on the implement and an implement specifically designed for such use. A hydrolic top link may have the capacity to damage the implement or tractor.

But, I don't know much about these things and maybe I'm off-track.

Tom ....

View my Photos
David

1999-11-19          10236

A hydraulic top link will NOT add down pressure as you still have a fixed top link and the lower links are still free to move up if this is a no down pressure tractor. The only difference is now the length of the top link can be changed without manually turning the toplink. This is very handy for scape blades and box blades. A hydraulic toplink can not damage the implement or tractor as long and the range of travel is within the normal adjustment range of a manual toplink ....

View my Photos
Chris

1999-11-19          10251

It really isn't too hard to make one. I bought the cylinder (2"), both link ends and the hoses at Central Tractor for less than $100. Then had to get the two male hydraulic ends from Deere. You can take the plate off of one end of the cylinder to weld the link end onto it, so you don't have to worry about damaging the packing. But on the rod end, you must wrap several wet rags around it to prevent damaging the seals/packing while you weld. Then, just paint Green :-)

Chris ....

View my Photos
Bruce

1999-11-21          10288

Here's two examples of where I wanted a hydraulic center link: When operating a three point mounted snow blower, if you have to go down a road surface which abruptly pitches upward. Such as where a somewhat steep driveway intersects with the main road. The augers on some snow blowers will contact the pavement at that point. Being able to pitch the machine back at that point will keep it paralell with the pavement. Another use would be with a box scraper. The scarafier teeth could be set to cut in or not cut in depending on the position of the centerlink. Granted you won't get as deep of engagement of the scarifiers as can be had by manually adjusting them but it beats the heck out of manual resets. ....

View my Photos
tom

1999-11-22          10295

I'll face the steep driveway problem as well. The tractor and blower are waiting
for the first major snow fall.

Being able to change the top link on the fly does sound convenient, although I suppose that a tractor with draft control would solve the problem.

It may be my lack of experience, but I'm never too successful at changing the
bucket angle on the fly with my loader, and I'm not going backwards while looking over my shoulder. There's far fewer gouges in the driveway if I angle the bucket up a bit and float the boom.

I plan to angle the blower up enough so the skids will hit first anywhere on the
drive and depend on riding the lift control for up and down. Suppose I'll have
to go back to get any deeper pockets I leave with the loader.

Putting on a hydrolic top link sounds like a good idea if I ever get enough experience to operate such a thing without tearing up the drive or driving
into the ditch. Any tips on improving operating technique appreciated.

Tom ....

View my Photos
Steve in Buffalo NY

2000-10-11          20516

So now I'm to the point where I'd like a cat 1 hydraulic top link. I can't seem to find one for sale. Am I missing something? ....

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-10-11          20519

Steve, I've seen a number of messages from folks who got a Gannon hydraulic top link cylinder (but I think their dealers added the cat. 1 ends). I found that TISCO makes a category 1 hydraulic top link cylinder. Their catalog or part number is HTL2102 and the cylinder is 20" long, 8" travel, 2" diameter, and the closest dealer to me said he would have to order it and the cost would be $160. For the dealer nearest you, you might try sending an e-mail request to tac@trupart.com. ....

View my Photos
DavidV

2000-10-11          20522

Steve,

I believe that Bubco.com has them (use as part of their quick hitch system) in a variety of lengths. The cost from Bubco is higher than what Bird mentioned, don't remember the exact figure.

DaveV ....

View my Photos
lsheaffer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-10-11          20526

I have both Gannon & Tisco hydraulic top links available at sheaftractor@coiinc.com or 815-284-3226 ....

View my Photos
TomG

2000-10-13          20534

I got my top link as part of my 3ph pallet forks. The cylinder was supplied with Cat 2 closed loops, and sleeves to size them for Cat 1 pins. The sleeves supplied were too long for the width of the tractor top link bracket, but the dealer supplied shorter sleeves (could have ground one down I guess). From that, it seems like the sleeves are a fairly standard dealer part, and a Cat 2 sized cylinder should work OK if there are problems locating one with Cat 1 loops. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login