Go Bottom Go Bottom

KUBOTA L2350

View my Photos
JAY ROGERS
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-01-11          34448

RECENTLY WHEN I START MY L2350 TRACTOR LARGE AMOUNTS OF BLUE SMOKE COMES OUT OF THE MUFFLER TAILPIPE. IT RUNS ROUGH FOR A LITTLE WHILE BUT EVENTUALY CLEARS UP. HOWEVER YESTERDAY WHEN I TRIED TO START IT LARGE AMOUNTS OF SMOKE CAME OUT, EMGINE WOULD TURN OVER BUT WOULD NOT RUN. OCCASIONALY IT WOULD RUN FOR A SHORT TIME AND DIE. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM MIGHT BE?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

KUBOTA L2350

View my Photos
TomG

2002-01-12          34458

I'm running late today, but will get back to this unless somebody else covers it. My off the top of head comment is to be certain the smoke actually is blue. Black, white and gray smokes indicate different types of problems.

Blue is oil. The two basic sources of oil in the exhaust are down the valve guides and past the piston rings. Generally ring problems also produces blow-by out the crankcase breather. Either problem may be accompanied by low compression. However, compression getting past a valve can sometimes be detected by pressurizing a cylinder and listening for a hiss in the intake manifold. I guess an overfilled crankcase might make blue smoke.

KUBOTA L2350

View my Photos
Jay Rogers

2002-01-12          34477

Since this tractor has a diesel engine the smoke could be gray or white and not blue as i first indicated. I though that i had run out of fuel when the engine would not start so i went and got some fuel, also cleaned the air cleaner as it was quite dirty, but engine would still not start. After continually cranking and holding down the accelorator it seem that it wanted to start but would not contiue to run. ....

KUBOTA L2350

View my Photos
TomG

2002-01-13          34493

It could be a simple problem that the tractor did run out of fuel and got some air in the fuel or injector lines, which now need to be bled. A diesel that has air in the fuel lines usually will start and run for a few seconds and belch gray smoke. If air gets past the pump into the injector lines, a diesel may not start.

I'd start by following manual procedures for bleeding the fuel lines. If that doesn't fix it, continue with procedures for bleeding the injector lines (Care must be taken when opening injector lines because 2,000# pressure may be present even with the engine off). If a lot of air is present, bleeding procedures may have to be repeated. I'd also replace the fuel filter if there's doubt about its condition.

Hope bleeding will do the trick. If not there's a bunch of discussion about this type of trouble-shooting in the archives, and new questions usually receive useful responses.

KUBOTA L2350

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2002-01-13          34500

Jay, your description of what's happening sounds much like I had happen once when I had some water in the fuel. ....

KUBOTA L2350

View my Photos
Roger L.

2002-01-13          34508

On poor starting and smoke. If you are getting white or grey smoke smelling very strongly of diesel, then this is called diesel "fog" and you will get it from several reasons. Sometimes it is from a fuel-flooded motor because of trying to start it when it is too cold and/or the motor not turning over fast enough and/or the compression being low. But if the engine is generally OK, and the battery is spinnning the motor at a good clip - then it is probably either water and crud in the fuel or an injector that is spurting fluid instead of spraying a mist. The cure is the same in either case. Drain the fuel, throw it away, replace with good fuel. This means draining the tank and filter housing and swabbing them both out. Add some injector cleaner to the fresh fuel. Good luck. Most diesel problems are simply fuel problems or not enough cranking speed. ....

KUBOTA L2350

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-01-13          34522

In some cases of contaminated fuel with a Kubota it is easy to look at the fuel filter without removing anything and see if you have water in it. Water is heavier than fuel and oil so if to let it sit it will go to the bottom of the tank and filters for easy removal without having to toss it unless you have serious contamination. We do sometimes have to drain as Roger suggested in those conditions. ....

KUBOTA L2350

View my Photos
Jay R

2002-01-13          34525

Thanks For the info ....

KUBOTA L2350

View my Photos
Jay R

2002-01-13          34526

Thanks for the info ....

KUBOTA L2350

View my Photos
Jay R

2002-01-13          34527

Thanks for the info ....

KUBOTA L2350

View my Photos
Jay R

2002-01-13          34529

Thanks for the info ....

KUBOTA L2350

View my Photos
Jay R

2002-01-13          34530

Thanks everyone for the info ....

KUBOTA L2350

View my Photos
TomG

2002-01-14          34550

Water gets into fuel from condensation, especially during the winter. Keeping the tank topped up minimizes condensation. Storing fuel in well sealed cans also helps. For bulk drum storage, drums can be stored on their sides with the valve down for filling cans. However, the drums should be tilted toward the bottom slightly. Tilting the drums keeps the heavier water away from the valve.

The problem described could be gelled fuel if it's a cold area. #2 diesel will gel, and winter blends or anti-gel additives are used (they don't work after fuel is gelled and gelled fuel doesn't really ungel when it is warmed).

The fuel doesn't have to actually get thick for it to stop an engine. At the cloud point (as high as 32F for some summer blends), wax crystals start to form that can eventually clog the fuel filter.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login