Go Bottom Go Bottom

Buying From Local Dealers

View my Photos
Roger L.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-04-22          27089

On another thread, (New Holland TC45D Price) Mike K. was looking at the back of his warranty sheet where it said: I quote "Repairs or replacements will be performed by the SELLING DEALER, following deliver of the product by the PURCHASER to the dealers place of business. When the purchaser has moved a LONG DISTANCE from the selling dealer or the selling dealer is no longer in business, any New Holland dealer authorized to sell and service the described products may perform the repair at its dealership." I know some of the members here enjoy doing long-distance price shopping. Will this sort of restrictive warranty change anyone's mind about where they buy? Do other brand names of tractors or implements have the same sort of "selling dealer" warranty clause?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-04-22          27091

Roger, doesn't sound like the John Deere warranty on the 42-4400 has the same limitations to "selling dealer" as the New Holland warranty quoted by Mike K. From page 174 of the model year 2000 JD 4200-4400 owners manual: "You are responsible for presenting your utility or lawn and garden equipment to an authorized John Deere Commercial and Consumer Equipment Retailer as soon as a problem exists. The warranty repairs should be completed in a reasonable amount of time, not to exceed 30 days." And from page 175 of the same manual: "Warranty service shall be provided during customary business hours at any authorized John Deere Commercial and Consumer Equipment Retailer located within the United States of America." Sounds like John Deere does not allow "service blackmail" by its dealers, while the New Holland wording seems to promote it. John Deere even states in its warranty a time limit on the warranty repair. How about Kubota? ....

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-04-22          27092

The more I think about this, the more I would consider the warranty wording of the New Holland before buying one. What if I buy a TC35D from my local dealer down the street, and then become dissatisfied with his service or whatever? The NH warranty effectively forces me to continue to do business with that dealership if I want warranty service on my tractor. Makes me a captive customer. Severely limits my free market choice. It's downright anti-American. (That last statement was tongue-in-cheek.) Seriously, that New Holland wording sounds like a warranty that protects the dealerships more than it protects the consumer. ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-04-22          27094

Jeff, we may not be looking at equivalent situations. Mike is quoting from the NH "warranty agreement" - an actual contract that has to be signed when you take delivery of the tractor.
I think you are quoting from a more general statement of warranty policy in the JD owner's manual...I don't know that the documents would be equal. Maybe some lawyer can tell us that.
Hmmm.... I agree that what we have so far doesn't look so good.....but also think we should slow down here. Most importantly -and before we take another step - I would like someone else to confirm whether or not what Mike K. reported is typical wording on the NH warranty. I'd like some more info. After all, Mike K's last name could be "Kubota" for all we know right now.... :-) ....

View my Photos
mbjacobs

2001-04-22          27095

My Kubota Owner's Warranty Guide says: "...Kubota recommends that you take your equipment to the dealer from whom it was purchased, for the warranty repair. If that is inconvenient, it may be taken to any authorized Kubota dealer. However, the dealer's own customers may have priority." ....

View my Photos
Mike K

2001-04-22          27096

Slow down guys.

I dont think New Holland is trying to force you to do business with a dealer you dont want to. I'm sure if you have a problem with a local dealer or for that matter with the dealer that you bought the tractor from then another dealer would take care of you. I am also sure that if another dealer wanted to perform repairs under warranty for a machine that they did not sell then they can. But most of you are saying that a dealer is obligated just because they are a dealer. The truth be known the dealer is not obligated.
Roger did you have to start another thread. I thought we could go for the record of the most responses on one thread.

Mike Kubota

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-04-22          27097

Roger, very good points you make. I just checked the warranty stated on the back of my purchase order for the JD4400. The only statement relevent to this discussion is: "To secure warranty service, purchaser must (1) report the product defect to an authorized dealer and request repair within the applicable warranty term, (2) present evidence of the warranty start date and (3) make the product available to the dealer or service center within a reasonable period of time." There is no mention of having to use the selling dealer or even a Kubota-like recommendation that you should use the selling dealer. Based on the information shared so far (and assuming it is all accurate), my view is that the NH warranty protects the dealers more, the JD warranty protects the consumers more, and the Kubota warranty adroitly straddles the fence. Another point is that the JD warranty states that the purchaser is responsible for transportation to/from the dealership for warranty service, as would be expected. As I stated before, the dealer I bought from transports my machine 45-60 minutes each way for warranty or for-fee service at no charge. To me, this is one of the extras that will keep me a happy customer and I consider my reward for buying from him. I still think any authorized dealer of a brand should honor service and warranty work on that brand. Provide additional service or enhanced service to your loyal buying customers as opposed to denying service to those who bought elsewhere. Carrot vs the stick. You'll be ahead in the long-run. ....

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-04-22          27098

Mike Kubota (cute, I like that), I agree that it seems that the truth is that a NH dealer is not obligated to repair the New Holland brand, but the JD and Kubota warranties certainly imply that all their dealers are obligated to repair the brands they sell, not just the particular machines they sold. If you are a paying customer, which policy sounds better to you? If I buy a tractor 5 hours away and then that dealer goes out of business, it sounds like I might have to go from dealer to dealer begging for service, even a warranty repair. I can see where this helps to land dealers for your brand, but please try to explain how this is good for the consumer. ....

View my Photos
Mike K

2001-04-22          27099

I think if you were at that dealer a couple of months before getting prices on a tractor and then show up looking to get warranty on a tractor that you purchased elsewhere then I'm sure you are going to have a long wait if that dealers shop is busy and they in fact agree to perform the work. i think most dealers would be more sympathetic if you moved into the area or if the dealer with whom you purchased the tractor from went out of business. I dont think this problem is privy only to New Holland. I think you will find this problem at most any dealer regaurdless of the color of tractor they sell and regaurdless of what the warranty paperwork says. Lets be realistic. Car dealers make money off warranty. Tractor dealers loose money on warranty repairs. ....

View my Photos
Hillbilly

2001-04-23          27110

Well,
I can speak for experience,I bought my JD 4400 at a dealer about 40 miles away from where I live,and I had several problems with the tractor and there is another JD dealer a little closer to my home and they told me it said John Deere on it and they would be obligated to fix it and they kept there word,they worked me right in just the same as if I had bought the tractor from them,and guess what my next tractor I buy I will go to this dealer instead,because of the way the have treated me and the fact they are closer to me,there is still a small leak and they are assuring me they want to get the tractor back up there to make it right.I am very pleased the way JD has treated me. ....

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-04-23          27111

Hillbilly, I maintain that the dealer you describe is a smart businessman. Rather than punishing you for buying elsewhere, he is backing up the brand he sells with good service, and is obviously aiming to win your future business. I guess that is the part that impresses me: this dealer is working to win your business instead of feeling entitled to it because of his location. And as everyone on this board knows, the JD 4200-4700 series have had more than their share of warranty work, so this dealer isn't doing it for the service profits. Mike K, I respect you for the way you have presented your opinions on this topic and I have enjoyed the debate, but my hard-earned cash will continue to go to the dealers who work to win customers with better service and value rather than to use the punitive approach of "if you don't buy it from me, I won't service it". ....

View my Photos
Hillbilly

2001-04-23          27122

I bought some wheel weights through this very same dealer,before I ever even mentioned warranty work, when I went to pay I did not have enough cash soI offered my JD credit card he wasn't set up to use one(none of the dealers I have been to have seen one)he handed me a bill and didnt even ask for any ID or my address,he said send me the money when you get around to it.When my tractor came back from the shop and I had a list of repairs that had been made,I emailed John Deere and told them it was disturbing to find I had this many things go wrong on a new tractor,a John Deere district representive was calling my house the next morning and told me he was aware of the problems I was having and to contact him if I needed anything else and I told him I was afraid of the problems I might have after my warranty expired and he said just call him and he would help me out if these same problems re-occured after the warranty expired.I had the dealer do some scheduled service work while the tractor was in the shop and I have not even gotten a bill yet for there services or for picking the tractor up and taking it in for warranty repairs,which I know I will eventually get one, if not I will call and ask for it.This is abig dealership too,they have 6 or 7 stores in 5 different states,and the thing of it is I am a small customer compared to some of there clients,who buy dozers,graders industrial John Deere equipment as well.If these car dealers treated there customers this way,car buying would be a lot less of a hassle and aggrevation. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login