Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 4400 hydro differental

View my Photos
Hillbilly
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-04-09          26535

My JD 4400 has been in the shop for 10 days,should be back this week,several problems,2 minor ones some safety switches not making up right,a major one: fuel pump had to be replaced, and as stated earlier my differental lock was not working,well they tore into the tractor and found the differental to be in bad shape and about a ton of metal and brass shavings,said they were ordering a new transmisson to be installed,I was told by a very reliable source the differental assembly on these units had seen a degradation of the differental lock cams.Usally the diff lock failure was on units that had the ring gear bolts backing off and damaging the right side diff bearing carrier. I guess there was some kind of update on these,well mine updated itself.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Anthony M. Parente

2001-04-10          26543

Hillbilly,
What were the symptoms prior to the differential lock failing? I am experiencing a lot of vibration when backing up a grade on my 4700 HST.
Tony ....

View my Photos
Hillbilly

2001-04-10          26553

The noticable sympton to me was,when I pressed the pedal to engage the rear wheel it was not engaging all of the time,and at times I could feel it chatter a little when holding the pedal down,like it was trying to engage but it couldnt,the dealer asked me after they had the tractor if it had been feeling sluggish in performance,I told them I had not noticed because,it was gradually happening over time,I think the sluggishness was due to the metal getting in the transmission,FYI,the tractor was manufactured in 11/99 and I bought it new in 6/2000 and it has about 175 hours on it. ....

View my Photos
Jim

2001-04-10          26555

should have bought Orange. ....

View my Photos
Hillbilly

2001-04-10          26557

No doubt about it Kubotas are good machines,I always thought John Deere was on the same level as Kubota,the main reason i did not buy a Kubota was,I got burnt by a japanese company,I bought a Mitsubishi new in 1983 and it was buy that or a Kubota at the time,the Mitsubishi was a tough tractor,but later on when it came to parts, man you talk about highway robbery,if and when you could find the parts and by Kubota being a Japanese company,I didnt ever want to get in that situation again,I figured that with John Deere I did not have to worry about the demise of the product or parts availability or the company merging like International/Case and now Use to be Ford,now it is Newholland/Case and that is the reason I never looked at New Holland,no doubt New Hollands are fine tractors too,but I cannot help but wonder about Case/New Hollands future. ....

View my Photos
Ted Kennedy

2001-04-10          26558

Hillbilly, I'm very sorry to hear about your problem with the Deere. I hope you can get it sorted out without shelling out. I think back on the days when my uncle started the family landscaping business and I recall at least six small, what we'd call compact today, tractors. My favorite was the Farmall Cub with a FEL that had a gravity dump bucket. Many changes have taken place since then, in particular, foreign domination of what was once an American market. Like it or not, we just can't get away from Japan. ....

View my Photos
Hillbilly

2001-04-10          26563

Ted,
Thank you for the kind words,my dealer told me they were turning it all into John Deere,I think everything will be ok,hey if it becomes a reoccuring problem I will trade before the warranty expires. ....

View my Photos
Jim

2001-04-11          26594

Hey Hillbilly,
not to throw salt in your wounds, but the JD is also a jap tractor. I Have a friend who is a john deere dealer and his whole world is green.He has mentioned to me that the 4200 - 4400hst tractors have been a nightmare of problems and wishes they never did away w/ the 55 series. This sound strange coming from a dealer that kisses the ground deere drives on.
Jim ....

View my Photos
Hillbilly

2001-04-11          26600

Thats kinda of dissapointing to hear that they are Jap tractors,I figured Jap tractors were built better than this,like I say the big reason I went with JD versus Kubota was the fact I owned a Mitsubishi tractor and Mitsubishi pulled the rug out from under me(I did not want to get in the situation again being left high and dry in need of parts) when they quit selling Mitsubishi tractors in the states,the dealerships dropped the parts and when and if you needed them,they were more rare than hens teeth and higher priced than gold.If Mitsubishi was still selling tractors in the states,darn tootin I would have probably bought another Mitsubishi,I had the tractor for 18 years and the tractor was a 16.5 hp 4x4 and never went back to the shop from the day I bought it,then only thing that ever failed were some dry rotted hoses to the fuel lines and the seat came apart,nothing else failed,and I used the heck out of it,but I needed a bigger tractor something that was more suited for the 90 acres I have.I doubt it if Kubota will ever close up shop like Mitsubishi.I do not know why Mitsubishi did(anyone know why ?)This JD 4400 the only thing I have used it for so far was bushhogging and grading,no heavy pulling that would have put unrealistic excpectations on it 173 hours on the clock. So Jim I do not have a problem with Japanese tractors.I will be watching this JD 4400 like a hawk and if it appears to be problem prone it will be traded off before the warranty expires.When I find out exactly what all had to be done to it I will post the details.
Hillbilly ....

View my Photos
Hillbilly

2001-04-11          26602

I forgot to mention,here is the kicker in this episode,I had already noticed the differental problem and while looking underneath the tractor,I noticed a little bit of a hydraulic leak from above,on a weekend well two days in a row when I noticed all of this the tractor was very hard to start.So Monday morning I go to work and make arrangements with the dealer to pick the tractor up on Wednesday we could not get to it to start(the dealer and I) luckily I have an electric wince,we finally got it on the trailer(fuel pump had to be replaced along with practically the whole rear end)the dealer told me the further in to the tractor they went the more they found wrong.If one good thing has came out of this so far is the dealer has been great through this ordeal. ....

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-04-12          26618

Jim, the JD42-4700 has some Japanese components (e.g., Yanmar engine), some United States components (e.g., Dana front axle, Titan tires), some Canadian components (e.g., 420/430 loader), etc. The engineering was done in the United States and the bulk of the assembly and testing is done in Augusta, GA. So why do you call this a "jap tractor", other than to engage in baiting? The beauty of this board is that members can get honest information and experiences without having to endure sales hype at a dealership or color-based rock throwing. Misinformation detracts from the effort spent by all the members on this board trying to help each other, regardless of what color paint is on the tractor. Although not 100% U.S. content, it is a FACT that there is far more US labor and content in the JD 42-4700 than its Kubota or New Holland competition; whether that is a good or a bad thing is up to you. ....

View my Photos
Rob Munach

2001-04-12          26620

The big question on the 4200-4700 is who makes the transmissions and rear axles - which seem to be a big source of problems. Of course, we know Dana made the famous front axle. ....

View my Photos
dsg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-04-12          26635

JeffM, I agree with you. This JIM that does not want anyone to see his e-mail sounds alot like a trouble-maker I use to see on an Ag-Farm (Machinery Board) afew years back. David ....

View my Photos
Jim

2001-04-15          26743

OOOh looks like I rained on the green parade. I didn't mean to offend any JD owners ( I realize on this board they far outnumber the others). The FACT is,
JD manufactures very little of their own tractor. YES, the final assembly is done in the US. With Most of the TRACTOR components coming from Japan. There is everything right w/the tractors made in Japan. I don't like to see dealers mis-lead the buyer on the product he is buying. Obviously Hillbilly thought he was buyin an American tractor because of the JD name. I think the 100% Yanmar produced JD's were the best tractors of their time. I've had numerous ones.
650-1070, 1250, 1450, etc. My opinion based on what we see coming in for used DEeres is that their Q.C. has gone down hill. Almost all of the 55 series units we get in can't keep front tires on them and the original paint is coming off in sheets due to no primer/sealer from the factory. I feel w/JD your no longer really getting the product you should from the MFGR. for the price they demand.
As for product bashing I'm not. i'm relayiong my expierences and after all the post I read w/the troubles the new JD owners are having, I don't think I'm too far off base. As for the dealer I refered to,His opinion was a direct quote.

View my Photos
Hillbilly

2001-04-16          26754

Nope your wrong again!!!!!!! I new these JD tractors had Yamnar engines and was assembled in Augusta Georgia,and you make it sound like I was staying away from Kubota for the fact it was Japanese made,Japanese made are great,I said the primary reason I went with JD was the backing of the company,if they had told me these tractors were made by Mitsubishi but just had a John Deere emblem on them I would have been happy,because I know Mitsubishi/Yamnar and Kubota are fine tractors,amongst the very best!!!!!!!
Besides like I say I had a japanese tractor for 18 years and it was a great piece of machinery,just to small for my needs.
Like we say we come to this board to talk and interact in a mature way and help each other and get along and enjoy the dialogue amongst ourselves.

View my Photos
Jim

2001-04-16          26795

Hi Hillbilly,
when you first posted you made it sound like you thought you were buying a good ol' USA tractor (few and far between). I get a lot of customers who come in looking at used and WILL NOT hear of anything but JD. (That's OK cause I'll never Drive another GM product). The Mindset is that JD is as American as Apple Pie. Not the case anymore, but not neccesarily a bad thing either. I happen to sell a brand of a different colr as you could have guessed, But I will admit, JD's Parts & Tech support are second to none (as I eat Crow). I just don't like sales tactics that mislead the consumer. Give the buyer the truth, like it or not, and let them decide. Jim ....

View my Photos
Hillbilly

2001-04-16          26797

Not a problem and I am sorry about the confusion!!! ....

View my Photos
Chuck Westerfield

2001-05-04          27753

Hillbilly, from the overview of your posts, it appears you were engaging the diff lock on the go. I question doing this as you could only grind the gears...I don't think it was designed for that purpose, traction...and only a last means for getting the tractor unstuck. I may be wrong, but I don't use theone on my 4400 except when stopping...have not had any problems.... ....

View my Photos
Hillbilly

2001-05-04          27756

As far as the differental lock goes,I try to not have the tractor moving at all when I engage the pedal,it does not always engage when the tractor is motionless,sometimes it has to roll just a little when engaging the differental lock,it does not grind or make a noise when engaging,it just falls in place.When to use? The only time a person would use it is when you need extra traction,such as moving dirt with the blade or pulling a log or some other heavy object,especially on an incline when one wheel spinning is not enough traction.
I talked to a mechanic who told me he had worked on some of these differental locks and there was some problems with a few of them ....

View my Photos
TomG

2001-05-06          27794

I think most diff locks work by engaging pins in holes, and there aren't any gears in the mechanism. As often as not, the pins wouldn't line up when the differential is stationary and some diff motion would be needed to engage the lock. As I understand, the risk is when operating at high RPM and loosing traction on one wheel when the other has good traction. The tendency is to try to 'pull out' by stepping on the lock pedal. When it engages, the effect is to force the wheel with good traction to come to ground speed instantly. There would be no clutch slip to dampen shock to the drive train. ....

View my Photos
mark

2001-05-06          27811

TomG,

Ah, thats why my diff-lock only engages when my tires are slipping. One needs to rotate while the other remains stationary (or moves at a slower speed) for the holes to line up!

I agree if that is the way the mechnism works that high speed engagement could be deadly. That would be a huge impact load on the pins and over time would surely cause damage. Impact loadings can be extremely severe.

Mark ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login