Go Bottom Go Bottom

Loader Maintenance

View my Photos
Jerri Neese
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-09-18          19869

So here goes, loaned my tractor to a friend for a few days and not sure what he did but it came back with the loader bucket riding low on the left side as you lood at it. Now worthless for digging. After trying to determine what happened I discovered that one cylinder is running 1/2 to 1" difference in extension. Do I need to just bleed the whole thing down? Extension will match at the loaders limits but in between will return to the 1/2 to 1" mismatch. I can't see where anything is bent, any help.Thanks, Jerri

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Loader Maintenance

View my Photos
Rob

2000-09-18          19876

Hate to say it, but it sounds like something is bent in the loader frame and/or mount to the tractor. The cylinders will tend to equalize since they are on the same hydraulic circuit. That is why it's OK at the extremes. Most loaders have some sort of torque tube connecting the two arms and that's really all that keeps the arms even. Have someone slowly raise the loader to the stops while you CAREFULLY watch for flexing. It will likely flex when one arm hits the stop until the other one catches up. Wherever it flexes is probably the area that is bent. Not sure how to fix, perhaps the dealer or a frame shop? Hope this helps, Rob. ....

Loader Maintenance

View my Photos
Rob

2000-09-18          19877

Hate to say it, but it sounds like something is bent in the loader frame and/or mount to the tractor. The cylinders will tend to equalize since they are on the same hydraulic circuit. That is why it's OK at the extremes. Most loaders have some sort of torque tube connecting the two arms and that's really all that keeps the arms even. Have someone slowly raise the loader to the stops while you CAREFULLY watch for flexing. It will likely flex when one arm hits the stop until the other one catches up. Wherever it flexes is probably the area that is bent. Not sure how to fix, perhaps the dealer or a frame shop? Hope this helps, Rob. ....

Loader Maintenance

View my Photos
DanaT

2000-09-18          19901

Well it sounds to me that your loader is sprug. Lifting alot of weight on one side and very light one the other will do this. how far is the bit off the ground when the other side is just touching (level ground). You will think I'm crazy but very carefully do the same thing on high side of the bit. put alittle stran on it and go check it, then repeat as needed. You can spring it back the other way, be careful you don't go to far, Good luck ....

Loader Maintenance

View my Photos
Jerri Neese

2000-09-19          19909

Dana, no I don't think you are crazy and was considering the same idea. Still waiting to hear back from the manufacturer, but I think you are right. Will post what I do.
Take care.....Jerri ....

Loader Maintenance

View my Photos
Craig Dashner

2000-09-20          19928

You have reinforced the idea for me that "My tractor is only loaned with operator". I have always felt this to be a good thing, cuz if a friend breaks something they will not be a friend any more. If they are a friend I am always happy to help them. ....

Loader Maintenance

View my Photos
Jerri Neese

2000-09-20          19933

Craig, I completely understand and under normal circumstances that is what I do. This friend is actually a business partner and owns a share of this tractor. Apparently he likes the messed up part. Anyway, hope to try to torque it back straight and fix the problem.
Take care, Jerri ....

Loader Maintenance

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-09-20          19936

Dana is right, you can bend most anything back straight again. I've done it with car frames, a couple of loaders, and a backhoe. Using heavy chains, some steel blocks to pivot on, some careful consideration of leverage, and looking at just what you can pull against and what you can't, it is usually possible to use the tractor's own hydraulics to pull itself straight again. And I often end up using bucket rotation for the last little bit of pull. Be sure to reinforce the bucket heavily if you attach to it or run a chain over it. I've not had as much luck straightening out bends in the bucket itself as in the loader arms.
A canted loader looks ugly, but it wouldn't surprise me if you can bend it back as good as new. Just go slow. Its only a loader; friends are somwhat more dear. ....

Loader Maintenance

View my Photos
Jerri Neese

2000-09-20          19937

Just an update...heard from the manufacturer who essentially has said much like you good folks have recommended, that we reverse the twist/torque/bend by lifting from the high side so we will give it a try. Roger, always appreciate your insight into these things and yes you are right, I can repair the tractor while repairing a friendship would be much more difficult.
Thanks everyone and will let you know how things turn out.....Jerri :) ....

Loader Maintenance

View my Photos
DanaT

2000-09-20          19946

Jerri, I have alot of people ask to borrow or rent my tractor all the time, I allways tell them it's for rent but the operater comes with it. You would be suprized of the people that would pay to drive a compact tractor. That's my rule of thumb.

Loader Maintenance

View my Photos
Ray Dalton

2000-09-20          19948

I have the same problem with my loader. Although I am the guilty party.My loader is a brush hog brand that seems to be of a universal mounting type. The loader attaches to the tractor via two ear type posts mounted to the frame. One of the things that I am thinking is that one side may have slightly rotated down on this "post" so I'm considering loosing the mounting bolt on that side and putting down pressure on the bucket and then retightning. Would like to hear any opinions on this procedure that any one may have, because I am not all to sure what to do either! I don't know if any of this will help you out with your loader problem, hope it will though. ....

Loader Maintenance

View my Photos
Jim Thomison

2000-09-22          20002

Have a new B2710 Kubota with a LA402 Loader. The bucket cylinders a leaking a little hydraulic fluid. Should I give them a little time and see if the seals
tighten up or should I replace them? Thanks for the advice ....

Loader Maintenance

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-09-23          20016

Jim, if it were me with a new tractor and a leak, I'd be contacting the dealer right away. It ain't supposed to leak. ....

Loader Maintenance

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-09-23          20026

Are these lip seals? If so, I would replace them. It is a simple job, and they won't get better. But that may not be the whole story. Lip seals don't just leak for no reason. Either the sealing edges were cut when they were installed, or the cylinder rod has some rough spots. The only other possibility I can think of is that there is a type of cylinder seal used on some industrial loaders which has a gland that can be tightened to stop leakage. If you have this type, you will recognise it because the cylinder body will have a large nut threaded on where the rod emerges. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login