Go Bottom Go Bottom

tractor tipping

View my Photos
tom stanley
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-09-05          19510

I recently purchaced a JD955. It is the first tractor I have ever owned,and do not wish to make any fatal mistakes. I have heard several heartbreaking tales about farmers tipping their tractors. most of the time it seems to have been older equipment. since I live on a piece of property with various grades,ranging from slight to steep enough to be difficult to traverse on foot,I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to determine my tractors limitations without damaging me or my tractor.(I have enough sense to avoid the slopes I can't easily walk on) I had a lawn tractor,before,and could traverse most of the slopes with little problems.I suspect that this experience will not transfer to my tractor.The manual only covers this subject in general terms. Any advice you more experienced guys could give out could help keep us newbies out of deep kimchie.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

tractor tipping

View my Photos
Jack in IL

2000-09-05          19513

Briefly, set your wheels to the widest possible tread width, ballast the tractor with proper rear wheel weight (cast iron or liquid) to improve traction, always operate with 4WD engaged on hills, and mount a tiltmeter on the tractor if practical. Also in advance of operating on the slope, you can get an inexpensive ($5-7) carpenters protractor level at places like Lowes or Home Depot so that you can measure the slopes without taking the tractor onto them. Finally, use a lot of common sense. In general, compact tractors are less stable on slopes than garden or lawn tractors. Don't assume that because you could operate on a given slope with your lawn tractor that it is "probably" OK for a compact. ....

tractor tipping

View my Photos
Kenny

2000-09-05          19514

There are lots of things to consider to prevent roll-overs. First of all, I hope your tractor is equipped with a rollbar and seatbelt. Second, WEAR THE SEATBELT!!! The rollbar won't protect you if you fall off of the tractor and get pinned under it. Third, set the tires out to the widest position you can that will allow you to do the jobs you need to accomplish. Fourth, use ballast as neccasary for stability. Front and rear weights are available as well as fluid filled rear tires. Finally, if you have a front end loader or a rear mounted implement, keep it as low to the ground as possible for stability, especially on hills. Good luck and be careful! ....

tractor tipping

View my Photos
KenB

2000-09-06          19519

Lots of good suggestions so far. More in the FAQ, below. ....

Link:   How can I operate my tractor safely on hillsides?

tractor tipping

View my Photos
MikeC

2000-09-06          19528

It occurred to my as I was changing my front tires to their widest setting that this may only be a small factor in preventing rollover. My front axle is attached to the tractor frame by only a single pivot pin, providing the front end of the tractor no resistance to rotation until the axle hits a stop. This means that as my tractor starts to tip, the axis of rotation is an imaginary line between the outside edge of the lower rear tire and the front axle pivot. Once the axle hits its stop, then the axis of rotation moves to the line between the outsides edges of the lower front and rear tires. Anyway, I still feel better with both sets of tires at their widest... ....

tractor tipping

View my Photos
william

2000-09-06          19535

i just read the fao link. it has some very good points but.......i just do not understand two of their points. #1 they say turn down hill. this is a no-no unless you have way more tractor than you need. more bad things happen when you are trying to go down hill than when you are going up hill.
#2 they say when pulling a load back up the hill. unless you have 4wd, a tractor will pull itself up a steep hill, much less pull a load. the rest of article seems pretty good. ....

tractor tipping

View my Photos
william

2000-09-06          19536

i should have said that a two wheel drive tractor WILL NOT pull itself up a steep hill. ....

tractor tipping

View my Photos
tom stanley

2000-09-06          19539

Ken B.: The link you supplied is terrific! I heartily endorse your tip to anyone that is serious about avoiding a rollover. I fear I may have been treading on dangerous terrain. Thanks! Of course,any more input is appreciated.Thanks,to all,for your responses. Tom S. ....

tractor tipping

View my Photos
Frank R Taylor

2000-09-07          19551

I too have a steep and hilly 10 acre pasture. As has been stated on this board before the standard for the maximum angle is 20 degrees across the slope and I think I read somewhere that it was 30 degrees for straight up and down a slope. Liability and lawyers being what they are there is probably some "safety margin" built in to these numbers. Having said that, if you feel safe and comfortable running a tractor across a 20 degree slope you made of sterner stuff than I am. As a result of advice from this board I installed a tiltmeter on my tractor and discovered that my pucker factor increases exponentially above about 15 degrees. ....

tractor tipping

View my Photos
Branch

2000-09-07          19556

Ditto the pucker factor @ 15 degrees. I'm also new to tractors and my gut tells me the same thing my tilt indicator says. I purchased the tilt indicator with alarm and feel it's the cheapest safety investment I ever made. I was moving a fruit bin filled with about a 1,000 pounds of load on what appeared to be a relatively flat area that quickly turned sour. I was backing up with it held real low but my rear tire went up on a burm and the opposite front tire went into a depression. The alarm sounded before my gut kicked in thank God. The tractor slowly started to roll over until I quickly hit the lever and dropped the load. My anxiety over the mess I'd just gotten into lasted for quite awhile. Everything I tried to do to extricate myself would sound the alarm again. The forks under the bin left me little manuevering room either forward or backwards. Anyway this has become too long winded. I survived, drove the tractor very slowly and cautiously for the next hour or so of run time. The tiltmeter was essential in getting my confidence back because 10 degrees kept feeling like 30.

PS
A final note that no one seems to mention is rear roll over. It supposedly can happen in about 0.7 seconds by trying to pull with anything but the draw bar. ....

tractor tipping

View my Photos
william

2000-09-07          19560

BRANCH, WHATM KIND OF ALARM ARE YOU REFERING TO? ....

tractor tipping

View my Photos
Branch

2000-09-08          19589

William,
I got a 7490 with beeper from R&B. You can set the alarm to go off at any point you want. I set mine for about 18 degrees. You can get info on them on the link I've included. Rick at R&B is a great guy to talk to if you have any questions. ....

Link:   R&B Manufacturing

tractor tipping

View my Photos
Chris in IN

2000-09-08          19592

I just received 7489C slope indicator from R&B. Where is a good place to mount it on a JD4400. Chris ....

tractor tipping

View my Photos
Jack in IL

2000-09-08          19593

The front of the canopy. If you don't have a canopy this is a very good reason to consider getting one. They are not very expensive. Consider also the added benefit from reduced risk of developing skin cancer. ....

tractor tipping

View my Photos
william

2000-09-08          19596

BRANCH, THANKS FOR THE TILT/ALARM DATA. I THINK I WILL CALL THEM. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login