Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD755 Yanmar 3cyl Starts but immediately shuts down

View my Photos
blarneyfarm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-08-13          144652

I have a JD755 with Yanmar 3cyl, 17HP engine. Engine equipped with inline fuel pump and solenoid linkage. The fuel pump runs, but on starting, the solenoid linkage snaps shut and the 10A fuse blows (maybe it's the other way around). In any event, as long as I do not engage the starter, the pump continues clicking. I changed the fuel filter to rule out excess current draw caused by a clogged filter. The engine first quit as I was replacing the left (looking from driver's seat) engine shroud (coincidence maybe?). Obviously, the hot wire from the battery runs right near the shroud, but I can't find any damaged insulation. Any thoughts y'all. I would appreciate any help you can provide.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-08-15          144716

I bought a trencher like this. Seller said it wouldn't run. Turned out to be a starter swicth that was wired to cut out the pump. Switched the wires and ran like a rabbit.

You might have an internally-shorted coil in the solenoid. ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-08-16          144733

Most likely "the other way around". :)

The solenoid needs power to stay open, losing 12 volts shuts off the fuel supply and stops the engine. Something is wired wrong. When you let go of the key, the power supply is likely being shorted to ground, causing the fuse to pop, and the solenoid stops the engine.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
blarneyfarm

2008-11-06          157706

My apologies for not thanking you for your prompt reply. :-(

After blowing a box or two of fuses I disconnected the (+) battery cable at both ends, reconnected it and the problem has not reoccurred. Just to be on the safe side, I carry a box of 10A fuses with me.

Thanks for your reply. ....

View my Photos
blarneyfarm

2008-11-06          157707

My apologies for not thanking you for your prompt reply. :-(

After blowing a box or two of fuses I disconnected the (+) battery cable at both ends, reconnected it and the problem has not reoccurred. Just to be on the safe side, I carry a box of 10A fuses with me.

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-11-06          157713

It sounds like you had a relay or switch that had to reset. ....

View my Photos
blarneyfarm

2008-11-06          157716

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthompson | view 157713
It sounds like you had a relay or switch that had to reset.

In my original post I didn't mention (because I hadn't observed it yet) that a substantial bounce on the front end from dropping in a hole or slamming the cowling down while the engine is running would blow the fuse. I think I had a loose starter cable, because since I removed/replaced it, the problem has gone away.

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-11-06          157723

Don't you hate it when you fix something and not sure how? ....

View my Photos
blarneyfarm

2008-11-06          157725

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthompson | view 157723
Don't you hate it when you fix something and not sure how?

You bet, because the question always hangs in the air "is it really fixed or am I going to be stranded at the furthest possible point from the barn?" ....

View my Photos
blarneyfarm

2010-06-12          171504

Well, a year and a half later the problem is back. I think it is in the wiring around the fuse block. The 10a fuse is the one for PTO fuse. When the fuse first blows it is always when the PTO is being engaged. When I replace the fuse, the fuse will blow as soon as the tractor starts. If I don't engage the PTO the fuel pump solenoid clicks away. Removing the shroud from the left hand side and jiggling the wires more often than not will allow the engine to run - then it's time to head for the barn. I'm guessing that two wires are rubbing together somewhere inside of the wire harness wrap or there is a loose connection at the PTO switch or ....

Wish me luck or something. I'll post what I find if, uh, when, I find something.

Oops: It 's not the PTO fuse it's the top fuse (picture of a piston and rod in a crankcase) ....

View my Photos
DeereGreg

2010-12-10          175656

The fuel-on solenoid takes 30 to 50 amps from the starter circuit during cranking.... that is the white wire on the solenoid. The high current is needed to pull the solinoid in initially. That white wire runs from the starter motor positive (after the solenoid) directly to the fuel solenoid. That 50 amps must return through the black wire on the fuel solenoid... and you will likely find that that connector has failed at the black wire. Just replace the connector, or bypass the connector and the intermittent issue may dissapear.
When the starter runs, the 50 amps is applied to the fuel solenoid. when cranking ends, 1 amp flows through the red wire of the fuel solenoid and back out the black wire of the solenoid.
If, when you are cranking, the solenoid does not pull-in... push it in with a finger. If it stays in, then the red wire circuit is OK, and the white wire circuit is not working. Of course, when you push the solenoid in with your finger... the engine will start since it will be getting fuel.
When you turn off the key, the red wire circuit has no 12 volts, and the solenoid releases, shutting off the fuel. ....

View my Photos
blarneyfarm

2010-12-10          175659

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeereGreg | view 175656
The fuel-on solenoid takes 30 to 50 amps from the starter circuit during cranking.... that is the white wire on the solenoid. The high current is needed to pull the solinoid in initially. That white wire runs from the starter motor positive (after the solenoid) directly to the fuel solenoid. That 50 amps must return through the black wire on the fuel solenoid... and you will likely find that that connector has failed at the black wire. Just replace the connector, or bypass the connector and the intermittent issue may dissapear. When the starter runs, the 50 amps is applied to the fuel solenoid. when cranking ends, 1 amp flows through the red wire of the fuel solenoid and back out the black wire of the solenoid. If, when you are cranking, the solenoid does not pull-in... push it in with a finger.If it stays in, then the red wire circuit is OK, and the white wire circuit is not working.Of course, when you push the solenoid in with your finger... the engine will start since it will be getting fuel. When you turn off the key, the red wire circuit has no 12 volts, and the solenoid releases, shutting off the fuel.
Thanks! I'll give that a try and let you know.

View my Photos
DeereGreg

2010-12-10          175660

Good luck. I just repaired that connector on my machine... had to learn all about the fuel solenoid.

In your case... it starts... so the white wire from teh starter is OK... but there is no HOLD_IN function powered by the red wire to keep the fuel on after the starter stops. So... if there is 12 V on the red wire after you finished cranking and the black wire has a good ground... and the solenoid still releases after cranking .. the solenoid must be bad. ....

View my Photos
jdgreen

2010-12-12          175717

Quote:
Originally Posted by blarneyfarm | view 171504
Well, a year and a half later the problem is back.I think it is in the wiring around the fuse block.The 10a fuse is the one for PTO fuse.When the fuse first blows it is always when the PTO is being engaged.

I'm just wondering, have you looked at the wires going to the pto electromagnet on the pto lever linkage? That magnet moves with the lever each time the pto is engaged/disengaged. Maybe those wires have rubbed through or maybe the pto linkage is rubbing on the harness somewhere. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login