Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 4400 HST Maintenance Frequency

View my Photos
Chuck R
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-02-20          12984

I read somewhere on this board that JD has changed the suggested initial maintenance of HST from 500 hours to 50 hours. Can anyone confirm this? Do you have a dealer bulletin number?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Mike S.

2000-02-20          12987

Chuck--Although I cannot quote the JD bulletin (it is on my desk buried somewhere), JD did change the time for the first hydrostatic transmission fluid change down to 50 hours. The only reason that I am aware of this was a verbal notification from my dealer. If interested, the total cost of JD materials was about $120. It would be worth your while to check with your dealer about this mopdification of the service interval as stated in the manual. After finding about a teaspoon of metal filings on the suction screen, I concur with JD about this revised service interval. (IF I can find the copy of the JD service bulletin in question, I'll post its number.) As an editorial comment--it would be nice if JD would post such bulletins on their Web site for customers to view as they do on their DTAC Web site for their dealers. I fully appreciate my dealer that thinks enough of me, as a customer, to let me know of such a change. ....

View my Photos
CHRIS

2000-02-21          13038

Mike Is this on all 4000 HST series or just on the 4400 ....

View my Photos
Mike S.

2000-02-22          13071

Chris--I got the impression from the dealer that it was for the 4200, 4300 and 4400 HST tractors--BUT it would be best to contact the dealer for your particular tractor. ....

View my Photos
CHRIS

2000-02-22          13087

Mike--I talked to my dealer today and he knew nothing about a 50 hour fluid change. He wanted to know where I was getting my information because he thought it was incorrect. All I know is Im having some kind of problem with my 3pt hydraulics. ....

View my Photos
Mike S.

2000-02-28          13212

Chris--The JD SOLUTION NUMBER is 44683 and the DOCUMENT ID is LV44683 in which it is indicated that the HST oil change interval be changed to before 50 hours in which the suction screen is also cleaned and the AM102723 Oil Filter is changed and replaced with a larger and more efficient LVA10419 filter, which will be used on all 4200-4400 HST tractors. With the above two sets of numbers, your JD dealer should be able to advise you on the new transmission oil change schedule. ....

View my Photos
Carl

2000-03-02          13367

Mike: I don't have my manuals with me. Do they show where the suction screen is?

I just went to the big regional dealer to talk to their Turf Equipment Service Manager. He confirmed the new filter number and the 50 hr. first service interval. (He had to go to a web site to get the bulletin. You are getting us the information faster than the dealers are getting it.) By the way, you got a good deal, filter and 7 gallons of oil cost me $145.

View my Photos
BrownBuck

2000-03-02          13369

Mike, thanks for the info on the JD Solution number for the HST maintenance interval change...I will be getting a 4400 HST that is yet to be shipped from factory...I presume that the tractor will have the Larger filter you have mentioned. Is your impression that I still need to do the first filter/fluid change and suction screen cleaning at 50 hours, or should I be able to revert back to the 500 hours if I have the newly spec'd filter?...Thank You!

View my Photos
Mike S.

2000-03-03          13404

Brownbuck--From my attempt at ciphering the wording of this JD DTAC bulletin, it appears that all 4200-4400 tractors with HST transmissions should have their HST fluid changed at 50 hours; OR, it might mean just those that have experienced some transmission difficulty. It would be best to check with your dealer. ....

View my Photos
Chris in IN

2000-03-03          13436

What kind of oil & filter are you buying. I bought 2 gallons of Low Viscosity HY-GARD (JDM J20D) last fall for my 425. It cost $6.59 per gallon. The manual for my 4400 says it takes the same oil. $6.59 X 7 = $46.13. Is there new math involved here or is it the filter that is expensive. ....

View my Photos
Mike S.

2000-03-03          13444

Chris--you were correct in your assumption that my math has some problems--I forgot that I also picked up a spare oil filter and some grease. The new and improved HST filter was 21.53, a five gallon pail of low viscos was 43.11 and two single gallons of low viscos was 18.12 and the suction screen gasket was 5.00 for a total of $ 87.76 and then add 6.56 tax (a Missouri ripoff at 7.475%) for a grand total of $ 94.32; therefore I paid a greater amount per gallon for the low viscos than did you. While I will shop around for oil for my automobiles and other purchases, I don't mind paying a little more for the low viscos from my dealer. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login