Go Bottom Go Bottom

Power for my backhoe

View my Photos
Rick
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-08-31          95064

I recently purchased a grey market Shibaura SD1840 tractor with front loader. I found a backhoe attachment brand new and all it needs is the hydraulics to power the unit. I'm inclined to find a pto pump and a reservoir for the power versus adding to the tractor's existing hydraulic pump. Anyone have or know where I can get a cheap PTO pump and reservoir? I'm a newbie with tractors so any advice concerning the hydraulics, 3PT hitch, or PTO operation would help me as well. I didn't get any manuals with the tractor or the backhoe attachment.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Power for my backhoe

View my Photos
shortmagnum
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-31          95070

Rick, I just did the same thing. Northern tool (formerly Northern hydraulics) sells the Prince PTO pump for $350. I also ended up getting a 10 gal tank and inline filter and suction strainer there for another $110. They are not the cheapest place but they have a store right in town and the difference was not that much. I still need about 6' of pressure line and about the same return line distance.

Some of the grey market tractors run their PTOs at 1000 rpm. They make one for that speed also.
David ....

Power for my backhoe

View my Photos
oneace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-31          95135

WARNING: Any 3pt back hoe should be used with extreme caution. You may end up turning your one tractor in to two. ....

Power for my backhoe

View my Photos
dfkrug

2004-09-01          95281

You can use the tractor's hydraulics if you can access the loader valve "IN" hydraulic line, placing the b/h stack valve in series with the loader valve, upstream. If the loader valve has a marked power beyond port, the hoe's valve can be plumbed in series downstream of the loader valve.

As stated, if your hoe does break the tractor in half, it can rip out the toplink bracket.

Which hoe is it? ....

Power for my backhoe

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-09-01          95286

I don't know the hydraulic pump output of the Shibaura Rick is talking about but the Prince PTO pump puts out over 11 GPM. That's half again what my 3130 puts out. This is the same setup that the previous owner had when I tried it out(he wouldn't sell me the pump) and I wouldn't want it to work any slower.

Yes, you can damage anything by attempting things it was not designed for. If the BH works as I hope it does, I plan on fabricating an extension on the loader frame.
Dave ....

Power for my backhoe

View my Photos
dfkrug

2004-09-01          95289

Shortmagnum, your 3130 is rated at 8.3 gpm for the implement hydraulic pump. I assume that spec is at the same RPM that will give you 540 RPM at the PTO. It is also plenty of flow for most CUT hoes. Most CUTs give you 6-9 GPM, which is more than adequate. With a PTO pump, using the 540 speed, you will have to race the engine at the speed required to give you the rated flow. Because of this, some PTO pumps have gear increasers to give you a good flow at a lower engine RPM. A 1000 RPM PTO option is a very good thing, if you don't have an increaser pump.

BTW, Kubota sells an adapter for $90 that allows you to plumb into the tractor hydraulics just below the right side of your seat. ....

Power for my backhoe

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-09-02          95352

dfkrug, there were other issues for me. The hoe has gone through a couple of previous owners so I was a bit worried about hydraulic oil contamination. I suppose I could clear it out OK but how many $25 jugs of oil will that take? Another is that the hoe is not set up for power beyond. For me that means taking it to a shop somewhere and another couple of hundred $$. Also, I have some other uses for it that will require 10+ GPM so it made the most sense to me.

FYI: this pumps 11+ GPM at 540 RPM. I don't see the need to "race" the motor any more than with the Kubota pump. If anything, as long as it's making enough horsepower, I might be able to back off the rpm a bit and still put out 6-9 GPM. ....

Power for my backhoe

View my Photos
dfkrug

2004-09-02          95388

Your tractor only needs 10-15hp to run the hydro pump at the rated volume up to the relief pressure. Therefore, running the engine slower is a desirable thing (noise, stench, engine wear). ....

Power for my backhoe

View my Photos
rhellerjr

2004-09-06          95685

dfkrug I got the hoe off of ebay manufactured new by atvmotorsports with all heavy duty parts. It didn't come with any power source. When you and another respondent say be careful not to rip my tractor in half, what is meant exactly? I'm planning on digging out stumps and doing some trenching with this hoe for my own personal use. Can you tell me what I need to do to run the PTO? It's got 3 speeds and I'm a newbie to tractors. ....

Power for my backhoe

View my Photos
TomG

2004-09-06          95687

The 'hoe breaks the tractor in half' thing is mostly related to 3ph mounted hoes but sub-frame mounted ones aren't bomb proof either. Tractors really are designed for pulling things. A hoe with its long arms has a lot of leverage that applies loads in ways that tractors aren't specifically designed for.

I've used a 3ph hoe for about six years for occasional moderate work without apparent damage to the tractor. It's not an especially large or strong hoe for the tractor but I take care not to use it aggressively and our soil is sandy here. No guarantees that my experience would be the same for anybody else though. ....

Power for my backhoe

View my Photos
dfkrug

2004-09-06          95712

RHELLERJR, I do not know of any b/h made by ATVMotorsports, and I have some familiarity with most current 3pt backhoes out there. Can you provide any more info on it?

First thing you must do is get an operator's manual for the hoe, but more important, for the tractor. Your Shibara prob has some sort of gear trans with single or dual-stage clutch for turning the wheels and the PTO. You have to operate the clutch before shifting the PTO spd lever into one of the 3 positions from neutral. If you get a direct-drive PTO pump, you will probably use your 1000 RPM setting.

Backhoes on all tractors require counter-weight in the front of the machine. A loader or weights are the way this is done. You must have or get one of those. The moment (bending) forces placed on a tractor by a b/h (or loader for that matter) are so severe that they can break the casting or the bolts that hold the middle of the machine together. Also your Cat 1 top link is only a 3/4" pin that goes through a bracket with only 4 or 6 bolts holding it into the rear casing. I have never personally seen this kind of failure, but at least 3 tractor repair companies I know claim to have seen it, and I have seen some very interesting photos.

BTW, larger tractors (over 5-6K lb) with Cat 2 3pts don't
have the same problems with 3pt-mounted backhoes, I am told. ....

Power for my backhoe

View my Photos
rhellerjr

2004-09-06          95720

$2800 for the hoe from ATVMotorSports located on Long Island, NY included shipping. It's an alternative to the name brands. 1-866-999-3501 New 6'3PT Tractor Backhoe. I can send the description if you like with the specs. I did not receive an owner's manual due to the freight company destroying the box it was shipped in. Ripping power 2600 lbs, Operating pressure 1900 psi, 93" reach, digging depth of 72". Also I am not a Premium member yet and I can not read your entire reply. heller at us.ibm.com ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login