Go Bottom Go Bottom

Backhoe misuse

View my Photos
boyrac
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-08-27          94760

Hello everyone, I`m a new guy on the block, just been sitting back and reading, alot of good info.
What are the donot do with a subframe hoe to keep from breaking things. Thanks in advance. boyrac

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Backhoe misuse

View my Photos
oneace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-27          94767

The best advice is to read and completely understand your ops manual. Every thing is always laid out in very plain English. If you follow the guidelines you will be OK. Use common sense if you are digging and lifting the front of the tractor you need to take smaller bites. Use smooth fluid movements and don't be ramy. Remember it is a digging machine not a hammer or a crane. If you need to lift with it again use common sense as far as weight and size of the object. ....

Backhoe misuse

View my Photos
TomG

2004-08-28          94779

Banging things around isn't great for hoe or tractor. Full buckets on the end of long poles have a lot of inertia and it's pretty easy to slam them into their stops.

You'll likely get the hang of feathering the valves to control the speed of some operations after a bit of experience. When I first started I ran the rpm a bit low to slow down the hoe speed but it didn't take very long before I wanted it at pro rpm. ....

Backhoe misuse

View my Photos
boyrac

2004-08-28          94824

Thanks for the info, I was wondering what people are doing to break a tractor in half, is it bad practice to move the tractor front or back with the hoe? Thanks again ....

Backhoe misuse

View my Photos
Archdean
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-28          94828

"is it bad practice to move the tractor front or back with the hoe?"

Not in my opinion as long as the FEL is raised off of the ground and the out riggers are not in ground contact as well as HST is not in gear and brakes are not set!
Dean ....

Backhoe misuse

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-08-28          94830

Anything that causes the bell housing area of the tractor to be heavily stressed is bad. As an obvious example, say you have a lot of weight in the FEL and are using the backhoe to pull up a stubborn stump. The weight on the FEL is pulling the front down and by pulling up on the stump the back of the tractor is also being pulled down. This puts a bending stress stress on the center of the tractor. Sort of like holding a stick in both hands and bending it in half. ....

Backhoe misuse

View my Photos
boyrac

2004-08-28          94833

I don`t keep the fel loaded when using hoe, usually drop it down and put some down pressure to it, correct or not? ....

Backhoe misuse

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-08-28          94835

I do the same thing but usually I point the bucket edge down which digs it in a little. ....

Backhoe misuse

View my Photos
oneace

2004-08-28          94836

Kw has the right idea. It will not hurt if while you are digging if the hoe pulls the tractor a little. Usually what you can do is change the angle of your bucket teeth. ....

Backhoe misuse

View my Photos
boyrac

2004-08-28          94837

Thank you all for your imput. Good day ....

Backhoe misuse

View my Photos
oneace

2004-08-28          94847

no problem and happy digging/ playing. ....

Backhoe misuse

View my Photos
TomG

2004-08-29          94860

The main purpose of digging in the loader bucket is to prevent the hoe from dragging the tractor into the hole or maybe sliding into it if an excavation wall collapses.

Most of the 'breaking in half' stories are related to 3ph mounted hoes. I haven't heard these type stories with a sub-frame mount, but maybe there are some. A sub-frame doesn't make a tractor bomb-proof and good digging practice still should be maintained. Basically, move the tractor more often to avoid long reaches and don't dig hard soil by fully extending the bucket and curling it back--especially when the stick and boom are extended. The long arms provide leverage that places huge stress and the tractor.

Most digging is done by pointing the bucket teeth toward the tractor (you'll find the best angle) and pulling back with the stick. Avoid dragging a full bucket though. Pulling the stick back increases the depth until the stick reaches vertical. Adjusting the bucket angle or boom keeps level trench bottoms. ....

Backhoe misuse

View my Photos
Chief

2004-08-29          94873

One other backhoe misuse item you may want to DEFINITELY keep in mind is to LOWER the diperstick to the lowest possible point or at least as low as the tractor ROPS or the lowest obstacle that may be on your route when transporting the machine by trailer. I remember a customer bring in his brand new Deere 510 backhoe many years ago with the diperstick ripped off the back of the machine when he hit a steel bridge girder with the diperstick going down the road at about 60 mph. I didn't think it was possible to tear the hoe off the back of the machine like that but this guy proved the VERY expensive exception. Replacing the cylinders and attaching points for the repairs was fun. Not! ....

Backhoe misuse

View my Photos
oneace

2004-08-29          94908

I have seen the same thing with a brand new NH LB.75 hoe. What a mess. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login