Go Bottom Go Bottom

Prairie Dog Backhoes

View my Photos
texbaylea
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-03-14          79858

I picked up a mention of Prairie Dog Backhoes in a tractor discussion. Supposed to be a re-engineered Woods backhoe. An internet search could not find them. Does anyone have contact info for them.

Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Prairie Dog Backhoes

View my Photos
Tom Ficeli

2004-03-18          80329

These Prairie Dog backhoes are made in Michigan. I just bought one from West Michigan Trailer & Equipment, phone-(toll free)866-223-6945. Haven't picked mine up yet but saw one in the lot. Looked good and well built and half the cost of the Deere I was looking at. Will put it to the real test soon. ....

Prairie Dog Backhoes

View my Photos
jeff r
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-25          81051

Tom,
The Praire Dog Backhoe is made in Bulgaria to U.S. specifications, basically cloned from a Woods 7500 but with heavy duty upgrades, and is imported by the designer, Dave Steiner of Grand Blanc, Michigan. I am the proud owner of serial 103 and I am here to tell you IT WORKS WELL. ....

Prairie Dog Backhoes

View my Photos
MIFarmin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-28          81414

I just picked up a 7.5 model and I am dissapointed it did not come with a subframe. I have a JD model 4310 compact tractor and now I am wondering where to get this subframe. Any Ideas ....

Prairie Dog Backhoes

View my Photos
jeff r

2004-03-29          81480

3 point backhoes like the PRaire DOG don't come with subframes due to the unique subframe mounting characteristics of every individual tractor. Unfortunately there are no one-size-fits-all subframes, to fit every tractor That is why the Praire dog 7.5 is cloned to a Woods 7500. Woods makes most subframes to fit your individual tractor. What you need to do is get ahold of a Wood's dealer and have him to order a Wood's 7500 subframe to fit your model JD tractor. Woods will make a subframe to fit your make a model tractor. It will cost your 400.00 or more dollars. The Wood's subframe will fit like a glove to your Praire Dog 7.5. I have a Wood's subframe on my Praire Dog. Make sure you have your tractor equipped with a heavy duty top link bracket if one is available for your tractor. I loaded the pix of the light duty and heavy duty top link brackets on my profile pictures under picture #7 (I hope it erased the old #7 picture). The light duty bracket is in my hand and the heavy duty bracket is on tractor. BIG DIFFERENCE in the heavy duty bracket. ....

Prairie Dog Backhoes

View my Photos
PushRod

2004-03-30          81578

What do these BH's cost compared to others? And where does a person get more information?
thx
Jim

Prairie Dog Backhoes

View my Photos
Tom

2004-03-30          81649

I paid $3895.00 for a 7.5 ft BH. I found a subframe that will cost me $675.00 for my JD4310. I'll let everyone know in a week how it all works out. ....

Prairie Dog Backhoes

View my Photos
jeff r

2004-03-30          81652

http://www.rustictractors.com/

I hope Dennis doesn't get mad but if you go to this website all your questions will be answered about the Praire Dog Backhoe 7.5 model. I see from the info the manufacturer has what looks like to me like a NEW 10.5 BIG BOY backhoe that looks to be a clone of the Wood's 1050. I am not a salesman for the Praire Dog backhoes but I think as a purchaser of the 7.5 model, it represents a whole lot of equipment bang for the buck. I wish the mfg. could change that gawdy yellow to better color....Like orange maybe. I painted my Praire Dog Kubota orange and it looks GREAT. ....

Prairie Dog Backhoes

View my Photos
jeff r

2004-03-30          81653

Tom,

Gee they sure do charge alot for a subframe for a JD model subframe. My Wood's subframe for my Kubota B-2150 cost 400.00 plus Michigan sales tax. ....

Prairie Dog Backhoes

View my Photos
MIFarmin

2004-04-05          82219

Thanks for your help Jeff. I will check into the extra strong plate you show in the picture. I made the mistake of adding rear hydraulics thinking this would power the back hoe. JD dealer now sold me the power beyond kit. This is what I need for a steady flow of fluid and to keep the oil cool. I am picking up the Woods subframe this week and I hope I now have everything covered. Tom ....

Prairie Dog Backhoes

View my Photos
jeff r

2004-04-05          82221

Tom,

With what a dealer charges you for them to install rear hydraulics and the power beyond kit external PTO pump option charge for the PD Backhoe looks to be quite a deal heh????

I can't believe what tractor dealers'quote for rear hydraulics installation when all it involves is a Tractor Supply bought 67 dollar valve and some hydraulic hose and fittings run to the front loader. My local Kubota dealer wants 800 dollars to put 2 wet lines to the back of my B-2150. I got the valve, hose and fittings for less that 140.00 and plan on doing it myself when I get some time. IT is not a big deal and it surely should not command a 800 price tag by any tractor dealer. ....

Prairie Dog Backhoes

View my Photos
MIFarmin

2004-05-01          84911

It's been a month since I bought the Prairie Dog backhoe. After driving a day to get a subframe and then mounting the backhoe on my JD 4310 (drilling 2 extra holes)I found the seat did not fit without interfering with the hoses. It took some modifying. Then, when I tried her out the boom cylinder had a pin hole in the weld. I took it back for warranty work and they replaced the cylinder. It now seems to be performing well. A problem I did have was hooking the hoses up. They were not labled and I got them reversed and nothing worked. I switched them and wam! I got hydraulics. I keep telling myself the extra work I had to do to get this hoe together saved me $2000. I guess that's the difference in getting a "matched" hoe from JD all assembled and ready to go. Tom ....

Prairie Dog Backhoes

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-05-01          84916

If you get a chance I'm curious to see a picture of your new backhoe setup. Also, how easy is it to remove and reinstall? ....

Prairie Dog Backhoes

View my Photos
jeff r

2004-05-04          85137

MIFARMIN,

You must have got a PD out of the crate??? I got mine with all hydro hoses hooked up and the bucket was installed. I don't know how much assembly one would have to do if it still is in the crate. All I know is I never did any On my PD. ....

Prairie Dog Backhoes

View my Photos
dfkrug

2004-05-04          85184

The Prairie Dog backhoes are shipped on a pallet, with everything assembled, except the bucket and outriggers are not attached. I will post a picture to a web site I am building for the PDog. Also, the JD CUTs I have worked on use an 80c JD power beyond plug and off-the shelf fittings to provide remote hydraulics. If you buy the whole kit from JD (about $120), they provide a bracket for the quick disconnects, right behind the top link. That could interfere with a backhoe seat. My solution: use hoses and standard fittings instead of the JD kit. ....

Prairie Dog Backhoes

View my Photos
MIFarmin

2004-05-31          87344

I've posted a couple of pictures of the PD backhoe with the Woods subframe on it. It mounts real easy but the 3 point hardware has to come off first. Using the hydraulics on the backhoe you just lift the frame in place and then pin it. My PD came all assembled except for the ends on the hydraulic hoses and I had to put the bucket on. I'm still working on the seat problem, it's on a slight tilt to keep it off that hose bracket! I am very impressed with the hoe so far. With a little digging first it rips out my 6 inch diameter trees like pulling weeds. It does have the power I expected. ....

Prairie Dog Backhoes

View my Photos
dfkrug

2004-05-31          87374

Nice pix. I especially like to see the different frame mounts. Did Woods include a special top link? How easy to mount/dismount?

More Prairie Dog Digger pix are at my site:
http://hometown.aol.com/dkrug/myhomepage/photo.html ....

Prairie Dog Backhoes

View my Photos
jeff r

2004-06-02          87573

DKrug,

Nice pix of your PD, do you have it 3 point mounted or subframe. I forgot what you told me?

Jeff ....

Prairie Dog Backhoes

View my Photos
jeff r

2004-06-02          87575

MIFARMIN.

IS that the 12 inch bucket or the 18. I should sell my 18 inch bucket, I got it brand new and I know I will never use it, about the time I sell it I will have a need for it and have to go out and buy another and end up paying double. I think I will keep a little while longer. Any hydro line leaking fittings? I think they got that problem fixed with all the complaining I did.

Jeff ....

Prairie Dog Backhoes

View my Photos
dfkrug

2004-06-02          87590

Jeff, the link I gave shows a picture of my Kubota L2550
with a 3pt mounted Prairie Dog Digger. After setting it up on this tractor (total weight 4500lb with loader and water-filled tires), I realize there is no way I would subject this tractor to such 3pt punishment. I have nearly completed a subframe for the b/h on my JD955, which weighs somewhat less, but has a full frame. I will post it as soon as I put the engine back in it.

BTW, any objections if I submit your B2150 picture to a Prairie Dog web site? Have anything better than your pict #1? ....

Prairie Dog Backhoes

View my Photos
jeff r

2004-06-02          87591

DFKRUG,

I will get you a better less background cluttered pix. Are there any pix size limitations at the site?

Jeff ....

Prairie Dog Backhoes

View my Photos
dfkrug

2004-06-03          87595

4x6 size is fine. If too big or too hi-res, it can be shrunk. Can't go the other way. Thanks.

I love the orange paint, and the small tractor frame mount.
Did you paint around the logo?

-Dave ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login