Go Bottom Go Bottom

Backhoe PTO Pump Pricing

View my Photos
jb85302
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-05-20          28386

Hello All. Has anybody bought one lately? I'm looking at a used small 3pt backhoe attachment and I know I'll have to have a PTO pump to use it. It's an older model ARPS 70. Need to know before I buy it. You can buy the whole unit from Northern (hoe and pump for 5K)TIA

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Backhoe PTO Pump Pricing

View my Photos
Elkoboy

2001-05-21          28402

Northern also sells PTO pumps; you can price one out on their website. ....

Link:   

Click Here

Backhoe PTO Pump Pricing

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-05-21          28426

I wonder if your Arp 70 is like my little 3pt pto-powered Yanmar backhoe was built by Arps back in the late 1970s. It digs to 6 1/2 feet and has legs that slide down instead of outriggers that fold out. The swing is via a chain driven by a cylinder instead of directly by a hydraulic cylinder. If this is like the one that you are looking at, I have the specs on it. ....

Backhoe PTO Pump Pricing

View my Photos
jb85302

2001-05-22          28437

Roger, it is a newer model close to what they are selling right now(as Amerequip) I haven't bought it yet(have money down on it though). I ran it on the sellers tractor(a 1520 Ford)(wish I had the Hydro specs for the Ford). It was rather impressive. The prices I have on the pump are 599 retail, 577 from dealer local, and 525 from internet dealer. I'll probably stay local(shipping etc) How does yours hook to your tractor(does it have a subframe or just 3pt).
Thanks, Jeff ....

Backhoe PTO Pump Pricing

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-05-22          28461

Jeff, thanks for the info. I didn't even know that Amerequip existed! None of their current backhoes look like mine, but the 6600 has about the same specs. Note that it does not lift very high to dump, and this has been the biggest drawback to mine. Other than that, it is a nice little hoe. It iis 3pt only. No subframe. It does have a bar built into it that jams against the lower 3pt arms and sort of helps to stabilize the hoe. It doesn't work well. Frankly, the hoe jumps around all over the place. But it still beats a shovel. I'd sure buy a subframe support next time. But ONLY if I could get one that was quick to mount and quick to return the 3pt to normal service. I'm not interested in spend ing an hour with a wrench in my hand to switch implements. The PTO pump prices sound a little high to me. Remember that you also need a fluid reservoir, hoses, and a filter...and these are generally built into the body of the 3pt hoe and serve as part of the frame of the hoe. Often beneath the seat. ....

Backhoe PTO Pump Pricing

View my Photos
jb85302

2001-05-23          28478

Roger, I should have been more specific the prices are for pump kits(pump, sump, hoses,etc)nothing else is needed. About locking the hoe...this one has a homemade bar that goes from top link to drawbar with a piece of square tubing on the bottom that slides over the drawbar, then you put a pin through it, it locks it up pretty good. The hoe won't bounce unless you bounce tractor and all.
Jeff ....

Backhoe PTO Pump Pricing

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-05-24          28511

Well, another way to support a 3pt hoe! On the drawbar. I like it because it spreads the load around, but wonder what that drawbar is bolted to......This system might work on other tractors like mine where the drawbar slides in and out of a heavy metal piece bolted to the bottom of the sump. It would be even better if that piece was tied into the bottom of the ROPS or the rear axles as well as being bolted to the sump . Hmm......Well, maybe that is possible. That gives me something to think about. What I'd really like is a 3pt hoe that is just as rigid as a frame mounted one! ....

Backhoe PTO Pump Pricing

View my Photos
TomG

2001-05-24          28515

Roger: What you describe is pretty much the Kelley mount. There's a plate that bolts through and also is u-bolted to the drawbar. Two top-links used as stabilizing arms run from the plate to each side of the top-link mount on the hoe. Adjustment of the links distributes the load between the drawbar and 3ph mounts. The links also serve to lock the 3ph down. However, the plate must be mounted within 1" of the drawbar support, which can require drilling a hole. I also have a sliding drawbar, and I met the 1" requirement by removing the drawbar top-plate and using the front hole. I've also wondered about what the drawbar mount is connected to. I’d guess that downward loads are taken by the drawbar support, which is pretty far back. Upward loads would be distributed between the rear of the cases and the drawbar mounting point, which is further forward. Most of the load probably still is absorbed fairly far back on the cases. Even so, the mount seems to distribute load better than a pure 3ph mount. At any rate, I don't experience my hoe bouncing around like is sometimes described. Somebody on another board did mention awhile back that he bent a Kelley mounting plate, but the company replaced it with a redesigned model. He also mentioned the 3ph raising up while using the hoe. It sounded like he didn’t have the stabilizing links adjusted quite right. I check the adjustment on mine every hour of use. Your idea of using the ROPS mounts for additional bracing sounds interesting. ....

Backhoe PTO Pump Pricing

View my Photos
jb85302

2001-06-02          28889

Has anyone else ran a Hoe this size with one of the pumps from Northern?? Their smallest PTO pump is 11GPM the hoe only needs 4.0 to 5.0 GPM. It seems a like it would mess something up. Also will a 15 PTO hp tractor be able to run an 11GPM pump? If the pump was around 6 GPM I wouldn't be worried but 11...?? I'm not real familiar with Hydraulics characteristics(or spelling for that matter) This is the smallest GPM PTO pump I've seen anywhere, except the Hoe manufacturers.
Jeff ....

Backhoe PTO Pump Pricing

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-06-03          28910

With proper precautions you can run a large flow rate pump on your tractor. It won't hurt anything (pressure will be the same) as long as the pressure relief valve and piping is sufficient to handle the larger flow. The pressure relief valve is a safety component, so it should have the specs printed on it. To cut the flow rate down you just run the motor slower. Doing so causes the PTO to slow proportionately, as does the GPM output of the pump. Large PTO pumps do make the operation of the hoe somewhat jumpy when doing swing and crowd moves. If anyone wants a somewhat longer explanation on this, email me.

Backhoe PTO Pump Pricing

View my Photos
Tim

2001-06-03          28913

Jeff: I just finished digging and installing 100 ft. of new swimming pool pipe.
I have an Arps 70 backhoe on a JD855. The hydro is supplied from the tractor at 2050 psi and 5.6 gpm The hoe is a 3pt mounted version. I found the hoe very slow in hard packed soil, but after it rained and the soil loosened up, the hoe dug pretty well. It does have a bad habit of jumming around. It took me awhile to get used to the swing to slow it down. Also I used the hoe with the tractor throttle set a little above idle speed. I found with the throttle cranked up it moved faster, jumped more, but did not have any more power since the pressure relief kicks in.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login