Go Bottom Go Bottom

I want to buy your ___ e-mail scam from overseas

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-05-25          129803

Hey guys I have an advertisement here on TP (for a trencher/backhoe). Today I got an e-mail from overseas that said:

Hello,
I read the advert of your tractor item/part listed for sale on www.jplan.com. I would like to know if it is still available for sale as i am interested in buying it from you. and also in your response to my inquiry notify me on the present condition and your asking price.I would be looking forward to your immediate response with all requested info.
thanks
Thomas

What they do is offer you a check for much more than the purchase price, then they want you cash it. The check clears long enough for you to send them back, or they send a currier by to pick it up, for the difference which can be in the thousands. They say they will arange shipping and thy never call or come back. That's not so bad yu get to keep your tractor and they keep the difference, right? NOT SO FAST---your bank calls you to tell you the check was a forgery and you have to make the check good and pay back the money to them.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-05-25          129806

This week they told how many billions were stolen by such on the national news with the international arresst of 500 plus people.

It is really amazing how many scams there are and then how often they work.

Two old saying are still true: If it sounds too good to be true it and buyer (seller) beware.

GD - GB ....

View my Photos
wingwiper
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-05-25          129811

I have a bridge for sale and there is only one like it, so the first people who sends me $10 million U.S. dollars, I will arrange delivery.
Thanks so much, it bridge nice for you. ....

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-05-25          129814

If you're stupid enough to fall for a scam like that, you deserve to loose your money.

WW,
Do you know if I can put a toll booth on that bridge? ....

View my Photos
Peters

2006-05-25          129816

Ditto ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-05-25          129827

I had a similar email message from several people when I posted stuff for sale. It was so obviously a scam that I didn't even bother replying.

I had one person that was so lazy, they never changed the email responding to a motorcycle ad to be one responding to my tractor ad. ....

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-05-25          129828

The emails are written in very poor English and the Sales Pitch is a real basic classic and yet the Fools get seperated from their money and then yell for the Police.
The real leeches are the Anna Nicole Smiths and the ones who take advantage of the dying, those people should be lined up and well you all fill in the blanks. ....

View my Photos
charlieK

2006-05-25          129862

yeah, earthwrks.. I too had an ad here on TP and today I got the same exact e-mail from Thomas....some times I answer and even get them to send me a check which is many thousands over the price.. and that's according to how I feel and how many beers I've had; but most of the time I just delete it. I think last count I have eleven [and that's checks and not beers] I've given them to the police before but nothing comes of it. You're real dumb if you go thru with it. I like 'em to send the check and it's drawn on a bank in Fla. most of the time. I give 'em one of my cat's mane and the postal lady knows who is up to no good. Have a good day and thanks for posting this. It should be very benefical to the members here. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-05-26          129863

Charlie: Too funny! I did the same thing just to screw with them. 'cept mine wasn't beer-induced. I figure any time they waste with me is valuable time they can't spend on someone else. Eleven checks----daaaaang! I gave them a reply giving them a sob story that me and the (non-existent) wife were in a bad car accident and we both lost our jobs and gonna lose our home so I'll take many thousands less for my trencher (things keep going they way they are and I'll have to! LOL). ANd of course they want to see "recent photos", you know number, they don't want to get taken hahahahaha. He offered his fax but I told him I don't have a fax, but give me his address and I'l be more than happy to send pix (and the FBI) to his house! ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-05-26          129864

charlie: "I give 'em one of my cat's mane" ----that poor cat. To lose his mane over a stupid crook---oh the h-u-m-a-n-i-t-y. ....

View my Photos
charlieK

2006-05-26          129873

ah..well I never... the cat gave me the idea to toy with 'em. Sometimes I would like to go directly to their "bank" and cash the bogus ck: but in the long run it would eventually put a hurt on some innocent person. Hope they never get smart enough to steal anyone's idenity. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-05-26          129877

The banking industry has a lot of room for improvement.

A friend of mine had a business check stolen from the mail box. His business and bank are in South Carolina. THere were about a dozen fake checks written in Florida on his account and honored by his bank. None with the correct business name, bank name or even state for such. The numbers on the check itself were the only thing read.

If you think the thumb print is safe per police it is very easy to defeat that.

With the fraud in so many areas we are hearing and you will hear more on an identification system that is fool proof. You will also find it addressed in 13th chapter of Revelation in the Bible.

GD, GB ....

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-05-26          129879

which is why I'm all for going back to hard currency. A silver coin is a silver coin, no matter how you look at it. There was none of this scam business back in the day when financial operations depended on the exchange of actual commodities. ....

View my Photos
charlieK

2006-05-27          129935

and the sad part is the scammers are still gettin money. if ye ain't got that plastic on ya w/pic & thumb print in a few years, ya ain't gonna be able to buy jack squat. ....

View my Photos
bvance

2006-05-27          129951

Horse Farmer,

Scams have been going on since man has been walking on this earth. New technology/old technology; silver coins/yellow metal; good ole American Green Banks/Counterfeit money.

Even commodities have been scammed. Remember when the Hunt brothers darned near cornered the silver commodity market? Remember when JR Simplot the Potato King from Idaho darned near cornered the Spud commodity market? Remember the infamous Tulip scam of the 1500's? They actually traded tulip bulbs as currency until guess what? That too collapsed. See link and read thru down thru it.

I'm a banker (please don't hold that against me) and yesterday I saw 10 new $100 bills that I guarantee if I bought your tractor with them, you would have taken them. They were complete with the embedded hologram....talk about scary. Some poor local store owner took a $1,000 loss when we determined they were darned good counterfeits. Only our sophisticated machine could determine they were fake. I've seen a lot of counterfeit bills in my days and most are easy to spot. These were by far the best I've seen.....and after we just changed all of our currency so it was supposed to be harder to counterfeit. So much for that idea. Now what do we do?

So....scams are as common as your next door neighbor....and it's a good possibility that he's one too. What can one do? Know who you are doing business with and even then be careful. Even if you take silver coins, good ole American cash, you still have no guarantees.

We can't go back and even if we did, it wasn't any better then than now....

Good Luck!

Link:   Scams

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-06-06          130542

bvance,
thanks for the reminder on the historic scams - you're right people have been scaming other people ever since one caveman sold a dog skin to another caveman and said it was a beaver...

Your note on counterfeit money with water marks is just buffling - how DID they do it?

My point though is, wealth is intrinsically safer when it's invested in something that has intrinsic value, like real estate and commodities, including precious metals. Our paper money / electronic bank accounts are only as good as the economic state of our country - which is not getting better - I just heard this morning that the federal government has underfunded their pension plans by $4.5 TRILLION! So, if I had to take my compensation in greenbacks or gold coins, I'd take the latter. ....

View my Photos
bvance

2006-06-06          130564

Denis,

I generally agree with your comments and thoughts as to where to invest. But just remember one thing....there are never any guarantees! Never. Just know who you are dealing with. REALLY know them. That's our best protection. And then even sometimes our family and friends will get us.

In my business I see unfortunate, honest folks scammed almost every day by these scum bags. There are getting better and better every day with more inventive, convincing scams.

How did the counterfeiters do it? Treasury would love to know. Remember when they came out with the new bills and said they would be very difficult to counterfeit? Well, they did it almost over night and even better than they did the old bills. Technology has allowed this.

Believe me when I say I could have bought your tractor with them.....they were that good. If anyone out there insist on taking cash for a big sale and someone offers you $100 bills and you don't know them....really know them...take the purchaser and the bills to your local bank and most will have a machine that will determine their authenticity. If the purchaser refuses, you know you have a live one!

Good Luck!

Brian ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login