Go Bottom Go Bottom

Rover Diesel

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-10-04          135701

I did a little hunting around the foreign sites the other day searching on land Rovers. There was diesel from a 93 Discovery that they listed as a Perkins. Does this fit with what others have heard? Does anyone know who is supplying the 2007 diesels for the Rovers to be imported? Perkins/Cat would be sweet in my mind as the Perkins and Cat have always been reliable.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Rover Diesel

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-10-05          135705

Eric, it is true, the older Rover diesels were Perkins, they were sort of the British equivalent (superior?) of the Toyota Land Cruiser and the Mercedes G-wagon.

The new L-R diesels however are the first steps towards L-R's parent company, Ford, making it's own units, they are breaking new ground with special new composites and casting processes.

This came up in a thread about a diesel-powered Audi race car. See the link to the thread below.

Best of luck.

Link:   Land Rover Diesel Discussion Thread

Rover Diesel

View my Photos
Peters

2006-10-05          135708

Murf;
I grew up on the westcoast so the first Land Rover I drove was a 1953 88 I think although it was used offroad on logging roads and had little body work. The biggest thing I like about it was that unlike the north american equivalents it did not beat you up on a mountain road.
I recall that information now that you reminded me. I have a great memory!! It is just not very long. I never knew the old engines were Perkins. I don't think they ever imported them here. They probably should have as the little four was quite thirsty and you could run about as fast.
The Ford engine plants in the UK have made some good products over the years so hopefully the TDI will also be winners. ....

Rover Diesel

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2006-10-05          135711

FWIW, back in Southern Africa in the 80's and 90's the Land Cruiser (diesel) was considered to be more reliable than the Land Rover, as such it commanded a greater price. ....

Rover Diesel

View my Photos
Murf

2006-10-05          135713

There is an old joke in the "serious" off-road circles, the guys that off-road in Rovers, Cruisers and Unimogs....

"The British only ruled half the world because their Land Rovers kept breaking down before they could conquer the whole thing!!"

That and "Why do the British drink warm beer?", answer, "Because Lucas makes their refridgerators as well as their automotive electronics....".

Best of luck. ....

Rover Diesel

View my Photos
Peters

2006-10-05          135718

The landcruiser diesel is a good truck, but the bodies did not stand up to the salt in the north. The Cruiser is a heavy vehicle and the first diesels were under powered. The economy was not stellar most opted for the Tacoma 4x4 which was about the same milage and held up well to abuse at 1/2 the price. The 4 doors were better but never caught on due to persistant body rust problems and high dollar.
Importation of the Land Rover started early on the West Coast. I think my friend had a 1948 short pickup. Thirty years later when I was in college it looked the same as it was bought.
A old british car is not for the neophite in automotive mechanics. In Vancouver Trev Deeley sold the cute MGB to the young single women and they normally ended up on the side of the road with the hood up. I think the guy on TopGear referred to Lucas as the Darth Vader of automotive electronics. ....

Rover Diesel

View my Photos
AV8R

2006-10-05          135719

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V-6 diesel - $40k+
2007 VW Tourage V-10 TDI - $70k+
2007 H1 Humvee - still available? - $80k+

Where are the entry level diesel suv's? Little help here?

Rover Diesel

View my Photos
Peters

2006-10-05          135720

AV8R definately someone is missing a market. You would think a new FJ with a diesel would sell well, but the price I saw lately was not the 18K they were targeting. ....

Rover Diesel

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-10-05          135721

A Jeep Liberty diesel is somewhere around $25k. ....

Rover Diesel

View my Photos
Peters

2006-10-05          135722

Ken I also thought about that but 2006 = 25K, 2007 = NA. ....

Rover Diesel

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-10-05          135723

What, they discontinued it already? Maybe due to the disappointing mileage? ....

Rover Diesel

View my Photos
Peters

2006-10-05          135724

We babbled about this on another thread, but the Italian diesel they are using will not meet the new 2007 diesel specifications so they dropped it or more precisely went back to using it for the export Jeeps and Minivans.
You might note that VW is in the same position with a delay getting the diesel up to emmissions. ....

Rover Diesel

View my Photos
AV8R

2006-10-05          135734

VW V-10 TDi diesel is here. Put on my fancy clothes and drove one, but who really can afford $72k for a small-ish SUV, really? If you got that much money, fuel economy isn't a factor.

Libby CRD will be back, possibly 2008 with the ULSD. The deck is stacked against light diesels here in America. A bunch of BS, if you ask me. ....

Rover Diesel

View my Photos
Peters

2006-10-06          135743

AV8R - You are correct it is the 1.9L that is delayed in the Jetta, Rabbit (nee Golf) and new Beetle. The Passat has flirted with the diesel in the US but never really been consistant in the model years.
I did not drive the Touareg or the Phaeton they are a little more than I want to spend on a vehicle. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login