Go Bottom Go Bottom

Snow and Ice Chains

View my Photos
D.Baroni
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-09-03          7616

I need to get chains for my Kubota tractor, so that I can use it for blowing and plowing snow this winter. Any recommendations on type of chains, should chains gp on all four wheels, and a source to purchase? Thanks.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Snow and Ice Chains

View my Photos
Ted

1999-09-03          7621

ALWAYS run 4 chains, otherwise you could have driveline problems, you change the diameter of the tire with chains, besides slipping front, gripping rear (or vice-versa) doesn't do any good either. ....

Snow and Ice Chains

View my Photos
mike

1999-09-03          7624

I was always told never to run chains on a MFWD tractor?? Possible damage to front diff and driveline? Better to have in front slip in the long run. I could be wrong? ....

Snow and Ice Chains

View my Photos
Ted

1999-09-03          7625

Unless you drive around with your foot on the diff. lock pedal the differential will do as the name suggests and equalize the drive load, it CANNOT however change the relationship/gearing between front and rear......... ....

Snow and Ice Chains

View my Photos
gene

1999-09-03          7626

Get R4s for the snow and a sali spreader for the ice.Cheaper and chains are a real pain ....

Snow and Ice Chains

View my Photos
Mike

1999-09-03          7630

Sorry, I meant I heard it was bad to chain up the front, but OK for the rear only. But under no circumstances should chains be on the front due to drivetrain problems on the front. ....

Snow and Ice Chains

View my Photos
Ed C in Vt

1999-09-03          7639

I've got a Cub Cadet 7260 that I bought about a year ago. After talking to several fellows in my local area about running chains on a FWA tractor such as mine, I ran chains on the front of mine all last winter. It worked GREAT! I could steer it while plowing with my back blade angled to one side, something I was having a hard time doing before the chains. I'm using old dump truck chains that I made up to fit my tractor. I got them for nothing from the guys at the town garage. They are glad to get rid of them, and if any of you have priced tire chains lately, you know they are real expensive. All I bought was a pair of tire chain pliers from Gemplers to make them up. Worked great! As far as the concerns some folks have about changing the outside diameter of the tires because of the chains, don't be. Because the cross chains are spaced about every 6 inches apart, and they are a little loose by design, it is really not any different than running your tires over a small bump in the road. Several friends of mine have also gone to the same system as I, all with the same results. ....

Snow and Ice Chains

View my Photos
mike

1999-09-03          7641

Thanks ed, I think I might give it a go on my tractor. I have chains for the rear and as you said I have problems with the front sliding thus no steering. ....

Snow and Ice Chains

View my Photos
Paul in Alaska

1999-09-04          7643

I have a JD670/4WD and have run chains on all for tires for four years. They are one of the best investments I have made and the tractor is almost unstoppable. I put them on when the snow flies and take them off when I stop plowing (about 7 months). Never had any problems. I got them at our local JD dealer and the fit perfect, although the do take about 45 minutes to install, start to finish. Hope this helps. ....

Snow and Ice Chains

View my Photos
Ted

1999-09-04          7648

Try www.easternfarmmachincery.com they sell them. ....

Snow and Ice Chains

View my Photos
Carl in VA

1999-09-08          7745

I have used front chains only on my 1710 MFWD with no problems for the last 4 years.Try tirechain.com for the chains. They seem to have great prices/selection. ....

Snow and Ice Chains

View my Photos
Matt

1999-10-02          8451

I own a commercial snow removal company an we use JD lawn and garden tractors to remove snow off of side walks. We started out using chains but soon found out that they can be a real headache.The problem is that they still spin and can cause damage to pavement,they are bumpy and if a cross piece comes loose it can scrath up your tractor. Also chains wear and eventually break and a tractor with chains on one side is almost as bad as not having them at all. What we started using were bar tires with some weight on the tractor. The tires seem to hold up well and in reality do not cost much more considering the number of chains you will wear out. If you deside to use bar tire make sure you price around , the price differnce can be pretty healthy. Good luck and remember YA GOTTA LOVE THE SNOW!!!!! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login