Go Bottom Go Bottom

rigging tire chains

View my Photos
Jeff B
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-11-27          21876

Does anyone have advice on how to rig tire chains so that they don't slide off of the lugs of ag tires (into the spaces between the lugs where they are less helpful)? I'm running ladder chains on all 4 wheels for plowing snow on a steep hill. I've made sure the chains are tight and I'm using tensioners as well. I've thought about running additional chain between the cross chains via quick-links, but have wondered whether quick-links would stand up to being run over by the tire. - Jeff

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

rigging tire chains

View my Photos
kay

2000-11-28          21899

To answer your specific question, I don't think you can easily keep the cross links from dropping between the lugs. But after 30 years of plowing snow with ag tires equipped with chains, trying to avoid this is not necessary. I believe the chains should be a bit loose so they clean and move around a bit. They will bite into the snow or scratch the ice enough to help your traction when the lugs contact the ground.
As to the repair links holding up, I have been impressed how long a repair link will hold a cross link together and hold up to the snow, ice, blacktop, and gravel wear and tear. But when they wear thin, replace them as they can become quite sharp and you risk puncturing the tire.
Unless you have experience that tells you otherwise, then I would 'lighten up' on how tight you are trying to get your chains. There are different ways to skin a cat, and different opinions on whether to do it at all. My two cents. ....

rigging tire chains

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-11-29          21934

I really liked what Kay said about chains. The answer was right on as they will never stay on top of the lug. You should also make sure they are not lose enough to come into contact with the tractor in any way! ....

rigging tire chains

View my Photos
Jim Shupp

2000-11-29          21960

You may want to get additional cross links and put them in about 3 or 4 side links from an existing cross link, when the first one falls in between the lugs it will hold the position and the ones that you added will stay on top. I had to replace tires on larger ag tractors, and replaced with staggered lug, which pull real nice in the field but are a pain when rigging with chains. I've done this and it works. My $.02. Good luck ....

rigging tire chains

View my Photos
Jim Shupp

2000-11-29          21961

I wasn't thinking, if you choose to try the method I described, it will have to be an even number of side links from the existing cross link due to the alternating position of the side links ....

rigging tire chains

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-11-30          21980

Kay nailed it. The chains have to be able to creep and move. Not knowing what type of cross links or how many you now have. I'll tell you what I did with my ag tires on little (compact) tires with big (field tractor) side links. I used double ring cross chains in normally installed position then I went to the next middle link on the side chain and installed a regular heavy truck cross link. This way every side link facing up has a cross link. If you are on a side slope driveway with ice I whould use extreme caution, very few things will bite ice. To answer your original question yes you can add connector links between the cross links to hold them up and out of the lugs. Iwould try regular repair links before buying a box of expensive quick repair links with the nut on them. Any way if you have regular truck chains try adding the double ring cross links. Your local tractor supply should have scads of catalogs and chains plus repair stuff you can look at. ....

rigging tire chains

View my Photos
Murf

2000-11-30          21983

Ok, tip o' the week time again. If deep snow is not the problem, which a decent set of lugs will usually deal with anyways, and you are not on pavement or concrete that must not be scarred, or only on frozen ground and ice. Get a box of Carbide Ice Studs, such as those used by motorcycle ice racers. They are basically sheet metal screws with a very sharp 'burr' or rim to the head, they are extremely easy to put in (with a nut driver in a drill), very cheap ($50/box of 500) and work great on glare ice. If you lose one here & there they are replaced in seconds in the field with nothing but a screw driver. Best of luck. ....

rigging tire chains

View my Photos
DAVE SIMPSON

2000-12-01          22037

I have been using tire chains of all types for over forty years and have finally found the right ones for my use. I have a JD 1070 MFWD that I use for snow removal and logging and spent manny hours fitting chains to the rear tires in an attempt to get better traction in snow,ice and mud.All types are a comprimise with both good and bad points the idea is to get more good than bad for a price that is affordable.Try this link below. They make the best chains I have ever seen. I use TRYGG TRACTOR TS on my 1070 and a very similar setup on my two four wheel ATVs. They offer constant traction,smooth running (even at speed)and are real easy to install and remove.
DAVE!! ....

Link:   

Click Here

rigging tire chains

View my Photos
Jeff B

2000-12-01          22038

Thanks to all for the advice. Who sells TRYGG chains? -Jeff ....

rigging tire chains

View my Photos
DAVE SIMPSON

2000-12-04          22108

Jeff, I bought my chains fron CHAINE SELECT they manufacture them right there and are located near Drumondville,Quebec, Canada. Call Helene Filion at 1-819-478-2425. She may be able to give you the name of a dealer in your area.
Good Luck.
DAVE!! ....

rigging tire chains

View my Photos
john

2000-12-18          22587

Dave Simpson, I am planning on picking up a set of the trygg tractor chains, do you recomend rears only or all four. I have a mfwd tractor. ....

rigging tire chains

View my Photos
DAVE SIMPSON

2000-12-19          22616

John, I have them on the rear only on my JD1070 mfwd and have been able to go anywhere I wanted to in the woods. I'm affraid that if used on the front they may put too much strain on the front end because they really get a grip.On occasion I've used the diff.lock but most times just haul along in 4 wheel drive.
DAVE!! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login