Go Bottom Go Bottom

Tiller Purchase - Befco Woods KK Bush Hog

View my Photos
sesails
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-04-04          141028

Have decided to take the plunge and buy a tiller. Major considerations include 1.)durability, 2.)results 3.)bang for the buck. All opinions appreciated. Have a L3400 Kubota with HST and looking at the five foot size.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
WillieH
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-04-04          141029

sesails -

I have a 58" Befco that I have had for years - trouble free...(I know...famous last words!)

Seriously, I cut gardens every day in the warmer weather for years (since 1987), and it has performed TERRIFIC, short of the occasional bent or sheared tine, but that will happen with all of them.

The primary considerations, would be making sure a)having a slip clutch on the tiller drive. Without it, if you jam up or hit something, either the shock will travel into your tractor pto drive and potentially damage it, or the chaincase of the tiller will take a hit, or both. I know of guys that have one without the slip clutch, and they break chains quite often.
Secondly, the pto of your tractor coupled with the lifting capacity is important. One does not think of the added weight when lifting the 3pt, when you have the tiller loaded with real wet soil attached - that is a HUGE addition of weight, above and beyond the weight of the tiller. Having the tractor that you have, a five footer would be no problem that I can see. I think my pics still show my tiller, fyi

- Willie H ....

View my Photos
sesails

2007-04-11          141230

Willie,

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a good plan especially the slip clutch.
BTW, your 55 gallon drum will be a perfect idea for pressing in the grass seed at planting time. Fabrication seems simple enough. Did you use a plastic barrel or metal? Also, do you think it would be possible to mount two together and expand the coverage a bit?
Pic 7 is definitely your best. That was has some good rollers too! ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-04-11          141237

Sesails; I agree with Wille all the way only my first choice is a Landpride. I'm on my second one now, Model 1558, We had kind of drifted away from gardening so I sold the first one to a fellow a couple years ago. When we decided to give gardening a try again, I caled the guy back thinking he might have tired of gardening and I could buy the first Landpride back from him, no deal, he said he would'nt sell it at twice what he gave me for it. So I bought the new one this past December form the LP dealer. Looks this morning like I'll need to wait till the snow we are getting today melts to try out the new LP. Enjoy whatever you buy. Frank. ....

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-04-11          141239

Yes, slip clutch - no question.

One thing to look out for is offset. Kubota specs your rear wheel width as ~51" and PTO hp as ~27 - both of which make a 60" tiller a good choice. Normally you'd thing that's plenty wide to till up the tire tracks. But be careful to note whether or not there's an offset. Some tillers don't mount directly behind the tractor. A Caroni 60 incher for example, has a 6.5" offset to the right - which means it would likely miss part of your left tire track

//greg// ....

View my Photos
sesails

2007-04-11          141245

Great advice Greg. Would have never thought of it. Much Thanks. Kevin ....

View my Photos
WillieH

2007-04-13          141290

sesails ~

I am glad you like the pics. One of these days, i'll get around to dropping a few more on here.

As far as the roller (lawn roller lol) is concerned, I used a 55 gal plastic drum, a couple of 1 1/4" pipe flanges, and some high quality construction adhesive in a caulk tube, that is a moisture curing adhesive. Along with this, I used some self drill and tap 1" hex screws (8 per flange) and screwed it all on center to both sodes of the barrel.

The rest is merely framing. There should not be any problem piggy backing a second barrel for width, so long as the respective joining pipe and flanges are large enough to accommodate the center twist force - a 2" should work fine as long as it is kept as close together as possible.

The Befco Tiller that I have has the offset ability as well. Funny thing is, I have never needed to make use of it. Usually where I get into, I still have sufficient room to maneuver without having to utilize it. But it is there just in case. It to is labeled as a 1558, as is the LandPride, and without question the LandPride is certainly quality as well.

- Willie H ....

View my Photos
KEPPIE

2009-04-16          162090

JUST JOINED AND READ YOUR POST ... I AM THINKING OF BUYING A BEFCO 54" OLDER TILLER. TINES ARE WORN... DO YOU KNOW WHERE TO PURCHASE NEW TINES. ....

View my Photos
sesails

2009-04-16          162092

Hey Keppie,

I'd go to - http://befco.com/ Their site has what you need. ....

View my Photos
KEPPIE

2009-04-16          162093

THANKKS SESAILS ....

View my Photos
peter_vii

2009-07-08          163898

I have 88" Buhler on my JD5083E.
Solid machine, moves everything including stones.
Check them out www.buhler.com ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login