Go Bottom Go Bottom

IMMEDIATE ATTENTION KK tiller buyers

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-03-12          107835

Sorry for the harsh subject title I thought it was needed in this case to get any prospective buyers attention.
The MILLS FLEET FARM stores in the upper central states have a great deal going. Other members turned me on to a price at a wausau Wi. branch. I called the one nearest me and explained I am 75 miles away and the sale ends today. The deal I cut was on a 72" KK tiller and I can pick it up next week. Sale price is $1199. Thats a good price alone but if you sign up for their mills fleet card on the day I buy it I will get an additional 10% off anything I buy. That make the price of this tiller $1079!
If your goping to buy a KK tiller this spring I highly recomend you call and do the same as me. (If your in our area or Search for store locations near you)
That is a 72" KK tiller for $1079.
the 60" $1099 and with the credit sign up it would be $989
Great deals and it all end today unless you call and give em a sob story of why you cant make it there today. I was impressed that they told me dont worry about it and they would hold me the price till next week. Cool huh! Looks like I am a tiller owner

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DK35vince

2005-03-12          107836

Great price on that tiller, congratulations.
If I remember right I think I paid just under $1100 for a KK 60" tiller 5 years ago. ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-03-12          107848

Although I dont really have the fluid money available right now I should have it in a month or two. I am selling my old tractor soon. I need to bite the bullet because the price is not going down in the future of steel (I see that now) I will buy one sometime this year and for the price I need to buy it now. The standard price is between $1450 and $1600 for the 72" model around here. The price tag of $1079 I can't beat and I would be a fool to wait and pay more in a few months. I hope this helps someone else out that is looking to buy one soon. I know its last minuite but ya never know. ....

View my Photos
staufferma

2005-03-18          108216

That's an incredible deal! I just bought a new 48" KK II and paid $1136. It works like a charm though. ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-03-19          108298

I need to amend my posting. It was $100 more than I stated
$1195. I ave no idea how I came up with 100 less. I am looking right at the flyer and must of had a brain fart. The price is still a great one though. Now Its killin me cause its sitting on my trailer in my driveway. We just got around a foot of snow up at my place and I defered the trip there cause of the strom and the contract vote this morning. ....

View my Photos
DK35vince

2005-03-19          108307

Its a good time to put the tiller on the tractor and see how it fits.
Sometimes the PTO shaft may need shortened to fit your machine. You may get lucky and the shaft is just right without cutting.
They also come shipped without oil in the gearboxes. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-19          108330

DK, I'm glad I noticed that sticker talking about no gear lube when I picked up my 60" KK tiller today. Course, I only bought two quarts of gear lube. So I had to make another run to town. Sucks because they have tubs of baby chickens and ducks. I had my 10 yr old sister with me and I couldn't drag her away!! I wanted to go play with my new toy!!

I don't have it running yet as I had to get dinner ready. It's also in the high 30's with a strong wind. No time be outside as it's just bloody cold on the ears. ....

View my Photos
DK35vince

2005-03-19          108338

One other thing to look for on KK attachments is sometimes they tape the owners manuals up underneath the deck.
It was either my tiller or brushmower (don't remember which) that I used for some time, just happened to look up underneath one day and there was an owners manual taped under the deck.LOL
Wasn't in to good of reading condition any longer... ....

View my Photos
Iowafun
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-20          108356

I had been following discussions of the KK tille before I went and bought mine. I certainly agree that part of the cost savings is in their paint system. Whew! It ain't pretty and the shipping crate took it's share of paint off. Then they obviously spend no money on gear lube or grease.

Did anyone try to adjust the side skids? Ever notice that you can't use all the holes? Why spend the money on making holes in steel if you can't use them? Also, the side plate of the chain drive had a bolt missing due to the plate not aligning with the casting perfectly. I'll watch that one for a possibel fluid leak.

It's clear they don't run the same quality standards as other manufacturers. But then, the cost is less. I'll run it through the garden after church and see how it works.

BTW, it would be nice if they listed the amount of fluid needed in the manual. ....

View my Photos
bmeyer

2005-03-20          108362

Just got thru the Sunday paper and I see that Mills Fleet Farm in Wausau, WI is continuing their KK Tiller Sale. The 60" is priced at $1119.99; the 72" at $1384.99. In addition you still get an extra 10% if you open a new account with them. ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-03-20          108363

Woth out sounding like or trying to defend a product I just bought (you know the type, and I am not one of those guys LOL) I do know a bit about manufacturing. Even in the best manufacturing envirenments, crap get out the door.
QC does not have a 100% record no matter what you are making especially when it comes to broken bolts or missing bolts. Here is what I have seen a few times in anouther place I worked once. There was 16 bolts holding a face plate. (the production workers were on piece work and a "new employee was on the job") they machined the parts and in the cycle time also partially assembled the parts. (This is a clasic!) 3 tapped holes had screwed up threads. This bozo came to the product delelopement area and asked if he could have me cut off the heads from 2 bolts leaving just the straight un threaded portion. (this is a odd request from a production worker, for home projects they usually ask for the threads to be cut down, not off!) Low and behold if a day later I did not have a call to go out to the QC area and see what I could do for a screwed up thread, they found a bolt missing. Me being the jerk I am, all of a sudden got hip to this. (For I saw what looked like super glue around the edge of the clearance hole) I took a rubber hammer and slammed the rest of the heads of the bolts. I found the other 2. LOL
He had super glued the bolt portions in place to look like they were normally installed. This was disiplined for his lack of brain function.
I thought this was a cute story to tell because the place I worked was a TOP if not the best in its buisness.
What I was getting at is even though you buy expensive or cheap, it does not gaurentee the workers have the same quality that a company has in mind.
Dont take this wrong, I am not trying to dispute what your saying, KK is a lower priced brand. probably there are a few reasons for that, one for sure is the paint. In some of KK's products it also is the lack of support or beef in supports. A hole not lining up IMO does not mean the company does it on purpose but more like the workers made a poor choice in either, not finding it or did not care.
When did you find it? Have you tried to contact the company about this? I would. Take a pic. and send her in to the companies VP. (do a search and find his e-mail from the buisness reports.) If nothing gets done about it, I would like to know
Good luck ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-03-20          108365

That makes me feel good! Because of you! I was able to get the 72" tiller for $1265 (give or take a few bucks) and ALSO got the 10% off of that which took it down to around $1150.
I really appreciated yo informing me on that, THANK YOU!
Iowafun?
Just looked at your pics. Whats up with all the snakes in your state? That is a classic, finding a snake in the electronics!! I have heard of "bugs" but never snakes. LOL ....

View my Photos
StephenR

2005-03-21          108442

Iowafun,
I just put a 60" KK tiller on layaway ($1220.45 + tax). A guy bought one the day before and was complaining that his came dry and the manual didn't state how much oil to put in the case. I didn't look at the case to see if all the bolts were in place. BTW, the "heavy duty" tillers are gear driven. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-03-21          108451

It would be nice if they told you how much gear lube to buy before you left the store. The sales guy said 2 quarts should be enough. Wrong!! The side case takes about 2 quarts by itself. The top gear case takes about 1 quart. So I ended up having to run back to the store (17 miles each way) to get more lube. I bought 2 quarts as I had no idea how much I needed and $2.50 per quart was cheaper than the fuel I'd spend running back to the store.

B-arrow, I'm not trying to bash KK tillers, but it is clear they do not operate at the same levels as other manufacturers. I've been working in some sort of manufacturing environment since 1987 so I understand quality. They don't invest in an expensive powder coat paint system. Saves money. Things happen. They just choose to pass more along than others.

On the other side, the tiller worked slicker than snot. What have I been wrestling with a hand tiller for the last 2 years? The results were awesome! A great looking seed bed was the result. The tiller works. I may have to spray-bomb it to prevent rust, but it worked great. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-03-21          108452

B-arrow, regarding the snakes, it happens. I work in the appliance industry. A co-workers has a picture of a dead gecko laying on a washer motor. Talk to servicers in the southwest and they wear welding gloves when opening up appliances. They can find scorpions, tarantulas, small diamondbacks, black widows, etc. Not my idea of a fun surprise. ....

View my Photos
StephenR

2005-03-21          108459

IF,
Here is the response I got back from KK:

"There are two gearboxes on the tiller. The top gearbox will need to be filled 1/3 full. The side gearbox will have a fill plug. The two gearboxes together will take a little less than 1 gallon of 90 wt. gearoil. Please do not substitute synthetic oil."

Since I don't have the unit yet, is there a way to tell if the top gear box is full? ....

View my Photos
Billy

2005-03-21          108462

I'm only familiar with two types of gear boxes. One has a dipstick, which you fill to the full mark. The other has a fill plug somewhere close to the top and another plug below the bottom of the shaft. Take the bottom and top plugs out and fill from the top plug till it starts running out the bottom plug. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-03-21          108479

Stephen,

The side gearbox is easy as you take out the plug on the side and fill from the top. That took about 2 quarts of oil. The top one is a guess. The manual said to fill it half full. I had to use a light to see down in there and I still ended up using a clean wire as a dipstick. I put in just over 1 quart, about 1.2 - 1.25 quarts. ....

View my Photos
StephenR

2005-04-13          109811

All the KK tiller guys, I picked up the TG-60 the other week from TSC. I have not used it in the dirt yet but turned the PTO on and before I got it up to speed, had to disengaged the PTO. It seemed to vibrate the tractor excessively. I was doing other things with the tractor so I didn't pursue the problem at the time. I was barely, if at all, at 2000 rpm. The tiller is supposed to run at 540 PTO rpm and I think that is somewhere around 2500 rpm on a TC33 New Holland. Anyone else have the similar vibration? Is it normal?

The manual states to bring the tiller up to speed in the air, and then lower it as you move forward. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2005-04-14          109824

Check the angle of the PTO universal joints when you have the tiller lifted to where you had it when the vibration occured. Try lowering the tiler closer to the ground before starting it, U-joints at a too sharp angle make an awfull racket. Look the whole unit over good for anything that could catch a moving part, etc., but the U-joint angle would be my first guess. Best of luck. Frank. ....

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2005-04-14          109830

As far as the vibration, I would say the tiller was too high in the air as Frank said. On my tiller (not a KK tiller), it states in the operators manual not to raise the tiller off the ground more than 8 inches when engaging the PTO or with the PTO engaged.
Good luck ....

View my Photos
StephenR

2005-04-14          109831

Thanks guys. I was using the loader to move mulch, pull up trees and general cleanup. After I'm done with the garden, I think I'll leave the tiller on. It sure does alot for ballast. ....

View my Photos
StephenR

2005-04-15          109876

I used it last night, the vibration went away when I lowered it a bit. Worked great. Had the existing garden done in 15min.. It would have taken 2 or more hours with the walk behind.

It seems the gear box is in the way of getting a deeper till, I don't think 8" depth is possibly. ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-04-17          109969

Back off the skid plates all the way and angle the tiller with your top link so the open face is more (facing the ground). then lower and see how deep you can get. The blades on mine dont seem to be 8" long beneah the center shaft. Never measures them though. Most all of my food plots never need to be deeper than 4" deep. There is more to that than meets the eye (in my area). We are in the morain of the glacials departure. The deeper you dig, the more rocks you need to pick EVERY YEAR!. 4" is deep enough for me!. ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-04-17          109970

Frank
That was good solid advice you gave. I did not know that but will forever remember that now! Thanks.
Tom ....

View my Photos
taheide

2005-04-21          110191

A couple years ago I picked up a KK Finish mower, grader blade, landscape rake and 60" tiller for my Bota. I have to agree with the paint, ALL the implements have lousy paint, and the tiller and mower came crated, both had paint rubbed off where the crate touched it. I wrote KK about the paint and where to get iut, and got back a not so nice reply letter that said, go back to where you bought it, they should have paint, if not, at least a color close enough to match. Not very good customer service.

Aside from that I have not had one problem, except for a blown belt on the finish mower from not adjusting the tensioner, that wasnt cheap, darn belt cost near $30, and had to be ordered. I didnt like the way they have the wheels attached to the mower either, so I replaced the cotter pins with spring clip pins to make them easy to adjust the deck height, and found that wasnt a very good idea, from all the bushes around my place, I somehow knocked a pin out, and when I raised the deck to clear something a wheel fell out, and I ran it over. That cost me another $50. Grr, so keep in mind, if you get the finish mower, dont change the pins, use the same type cotter pins and keep an eye on the tensioner for the belt.

The Tiller, no complaints at all, it works hard and works well, and have not had any adjustment issues except that its a pain that you have to unbolt everything to adjust the height, so quick field adjustments cant be done. It also adds a great amount of weight in the back as ballast when using the loader, but drags on the ground if you go into any sort of incline. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login