Go Bottom Go Bottom

Size Barn for New Farmer

View my Photos
kangaroo31
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-07-18          143820

Try to build a steel barn onsite. Don't know what size is suitable to me. What I know is door should be 10'high, 10'wide. I need use it store a tractor with FEL, a 72" tiller, a two bottoms moldboard plow, pto sprayer, and all other misc.
I think at least can let tractor turn inside to attach them. So minumize is 14x20? may be 20x20? I see arrow has some steel shed like that. Also consider some more solider one like the link show. 17per sq with deliver and installation is reasonable price?
Thanks,

Link:   

Click Here

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Size Barn for New Farmer

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-07-18          143821

If you have the equipment you want to park in the barn already, park at as close as you feel comfortable and measure the area you need. You could put up some stakes with string or tape between them to give you a good idea on the walls. Where you place the door will also be important.

If you don't have the equipment, get the dimnensions of each piece, draw to scale and lay it out as a puzzle and that will give you an idea. You will have to allow for turning room and such.

For me, the stuff you want to stow grows in size and amount. ....

Size Barn for New Farmer

View my Photos
kangaroo31

2007-07-18          143823

Thanks, I don't have tractor and attachments yet. I will draw a draft paper first. ....

Size Barn for New Farmer

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-07-18          143827

I just sold my old farm house with (big, big) barn. I have another place a mile down the road. I'm getting concrete poured in the old 25' x 44' shed (had dirt floor) and am thinking about an additional 32' x 48' with 12' x 12' and 10' x 12' doors.

I'm getting prices in the $15.00 - $25.00/ sq. ft. range depending upon how fancy we get. That is without electricity but with concrete floor and approach apron. ....

Size Barn for New Farmer

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-07-18          143828

I have found the drawing to scale has worked very well. However, you will be hard pressed to pick up on the swing needed and such that way. Be sure to allow like 3 feet in length to your tractor and implement's for room needed when you are in line with it and not hooked up. Having to lock a brake to turn on a shop floor is not something I would want to do much off. In my part of the world we mostly use open shelters and often shed on the side of barns where the implements are only parked one deep unless something very small like a box blade. If theft is an issue not the best set up. ....

Size Barn for New Farmer

View my Photos
kangaroo31

2007-07-18          143833

Yooperpete , 17/sq including a steel floor, don't know steel one is good or not.
Thanks, kthompson, learned. ....

Size Barn for New Farmer

View my Photos
kleinchris

2007-07-18          143834

This site is a lot of fun for playing around with dimensions and pricing. ....

Link:   

Click Here

Size Barn for New Farmer

View my Photos
MacDaddy

2007-07-19          143874

I have a difficult time manuvering my 4310 w/ FEL in my 24x36 pole barn. I have built platforms w/ casters to move the implements around the barn so that I can store them more efficiently (60"blower, box blade and 48 backhoe) but I dont do much "turning" in the barn with this stuff on the tractor. It's just not enough room, and if I wack one of my posts with the FEL, the second floor is coming down on my head. ....

Size Barn for New Farmer

View my Photos
iamhistory

2007-07-20          143899

A little something to think about is whatever you decide....you should get your specs down and then consider going a little bigger. There's always something that comes up with the space issue and if you have the space and don't use......no big deal. If you need it and don't have it......it's a pain.

Plus, if you are farming and you are going to have a barn, you may as well have a "real" barn and not just equipment storage. You will then have the versatility to do lots of things with your barn space down the road if you need to. Just think ahead and consider things that may come up in the future. ....

Size Barn for New Farmer

View my Photos
kangaroo31

2007-07-20          143901

Thanks, Jamhistory.
"Just think ahead and consider things that may come up in the future." I will. In the worst case, if space is not a issue, build another:-) ....

Size Barn for New Farmer

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-07-20          143902

Iamhistory,

Good advice!

General rule of thumb...........figure out how much space you think you'll need, and then double it. Even when using this formula, you'll still end up short of room.

Joel ....

Size Barn for New Farmer

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-07-20          143904

Kangarro; No matter what the pole barn builders tell you there just isn't such a thing as a square pole that won't rot off at ground level in 15 years or less since real creosote poles went away. I built three of them at the farm, in less than fifteen years we were replacing poles,
with the same garbage, (the green arsenic treated things). the last two sheds i built are a concreet wall with a regular frame building with a shingle roof. The surprising thing is that here in Iowa, I don't know aboput other parts of the country a frame building actually costs less than a pole shed, labor included. the only extra cost is the concreet stem wall.
I hadn't actually figured it by the square ft. cost on the one just completed this July first till just now. Here is a breakdown. 46X92 with 16 ft. sidewalls divided into four separate rooms. One of the rooms is insulated and lined with barn steel, heated and air conditioned. the other three are not heated just bare 2x6 studa, full bath, single and three pahse wiring, 1550 sq. ft. of loft storage, concreet floor in aprox 60% of floor space, five overhead doors, landscaping and fill. Final cost, aprox. 88,000 turn key. total sq. ft. aprox 5740 including loft space comes out to $15.30 per sq. ft. Frank. ....

Size Barn for New Farmer

View my Photos
kangaroo31

2007-07-20          143906

Thx, Hardwood. Wow, sounds like a stadium to me. This kind of size need go to townhall get a permit right? property tax will increase a lot. Instead of concrete ground surface, did you ever have a steel one?

Size Barn for New Farmer

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-07-20          143918

Kangaroo; We are still pretty fortunate out here in the county to be free of most permit restrictions and codes. Long as you own fourty or more acres all you need is a well and sewer permit. Nothing else requires any permits or inspections unless it is going to be a commercial venture, that's when the smelly stuff hits the fan. Tell me about a steel floor in a shed, I've never heard of that. Concrete is almost a luxury any more that's why the storage only end (40%) didn't get the concreet floor, just 8 inches of packed crushed limestone.(road stone, we call it here.)Frank. ....

Size Barn for New Farmer

View my Photos
Tennslim

2007-07-21          143947

Recc a steel bldg. The folks I dealt with were excellent. Get the square footage requirements and add 10 percent. Also a spec driven concrete floor will support the equipment. Allow for insulation, power, and parts storage.
As one comment made, if theft is not an issue,then an open covered pole barn would be minimal. However, the enclosed barn allows for maintenance, upkeep. etc.
end ....

Size Barn for New Farmer

View my Photos
wr5evk8jj

2007-07-23          143965

Frank, is that generally a "rule of thumb" about the forty acre minimum where one can be reasonably assured of reduced hassle on codes, permits, and inspections? At least I'll know what question(s) to ask for the next place. I am in the job search mode at the time; if we can swing it, and depending on where the four winds blow us to, I'd sure like to be "out" some from any type of "big smoke" area. JJ ....

Size Barn for New Farmer

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-07-23          143967

Wr5,

The western States have many thousands of unoccupied acres waiting to be inhabited. There are even small towns which offer cash bonuses to those who decide to occupy an abandoned farm, simply because their schools are crying for students (along with the federal money that comes with those students).

Schools are closing in North Dakota at record rates. With increasing farm sizes, there are now fewer farmers here than ever before. This has nearly destroyed the rural school districts. Along with the empty schools, we also have empty and abandoned stores.

Consider moving to a rural area in one of the western States. You'd be surprised at the low housing prices, land prices, and job opportunities. Wages may seem low, but when you figure in the low tax rates, housing costs, etc.......most people actually come out further ahead.

Good luck with your job search. I wish you the best.

Joel ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login