Go Bottom Go Bottom

Moving Day

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-03-10          140344

Today is moving day from my old shop which we sold to the new shop here at the house, I don't think I've been more excited since I got my Erector Set for Christmas when I was about 10 or so, and I do still have it and the motor runs. As most of you remember I've been rambling on about this for most of the winter, so after a few setbacks like an unexpected Prostate surgery, a fall on the ice resulting in a broken pelvis, the super cold spell, and all "The Big Day" has finally arrived. I still am confined to a walker for a couple weeks yet, so I can't help much, but I've got 6 local football player type teen agers, and three or four friends who are experienced with the equipment we are moving. The Mrs. has prepared a "Threshing Crew" type meal for them, teen agers require lots of food and I enjoy watching them eat, I can't keep up any more on the food part. So the new "Keep Frank out of the Tavern" woodworking/machine/welding/shop is about to get completed. The wife still gives me that kind of a bewilderd "Why" type squint, but I guess it's just a "Man Thing" to fulfill one's NEED for lots of tools he'll probably never need. Enough from me. Frank.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Moving Day

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-03-10          140347

Congrats. Are you sure you didn't arrange for the walker so you wouldn't have to help move the heavy stuff? :) ....

Moving Day

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-03-11          140368

KW; You bet, I did feel guilty just being kind of in the way while othere did the work. Six friends, armed with 5 pickups, four trailers, two hay racks and a forklift, plus 6 local teen agers came and made light work of a big job. Two of the neighbor wives came by to help my wife prepare a "Threshing Crew" type meal. A lot of hard work got done, lots of good fellowship was had, nobody got HURT. Friends and neighbors like these can never be repaid in money terms, but I've helped out too and will again in times of need, just another blessing of living in the country. God bless every one of them. Frank. ....

Moving Day

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-03-12          140389

Congrats Frank, I know you'll get much enjoyment out that new shop, can't wait to see some pictures of some of the end results.

As the old (tongue in cheek) saying goes, "A good friend is someone who helps you move, a REALLY good friend is someone who helps you move a BODY!!!" ;)

Best of luck. ....

Moving Day

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-03-12          140395

Murf; Things are in a total state of disaray as we speak, soon as I get somewhat organized I'll post some pictures. I got a new camera a few months ago that I haven't fully mastered yet so soon as i figure that thing out I get some pictures. Frank. ....

Moving Day

View my Photos
harvey

2007-03-12          140397

Frank I just finished a sandwich at work.

MAN DID YOU BRING BACK A FLOOD OF MEMORIES! Threashing meal. Mouth is just watering now. Fresh home made bread, taters, beef, gravey gobbs of butter, fresh veggies, thick slabbed beefsteak maters, more than I should ever admit to eating in one setting. Pies you name it. Wash it all down with gallons of lemonaid, ice tea...

Most of my dad's generation always had a huge lunch/dinner meal...everyday especially during harvest! ....

Moving Day

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-03-12          140399

Hardwood,
My youngest son in law has proven to me the reason I must have a shop, for him to borrow tools! That also brings joy, joy let the joy bring the tools back home in good condition. :)

Congratulations on the move and just think off all the fun you will have as your find tools you forgot you had as you set back up. kt

Moving Day

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-03-13          140415

Kthompson; The "Moving Crew" took care of all the heavy work, so now I can concentrate on sorting and moving the small stuff. You are right, I've allready came across enough screws, bolts, etc. that I had forgotten I had and bought more to last for quite a while. Several small tools have allready emerged that I thought I had lost and bought replacements and I've only scratched the surface, so hard telling what might show up next. Anybody need some extra welding rod, I think I've already found over a hundred pounds of 6013 in unopened boxes. having a ball. Frank. ....

Moving Day

View my Photos
yooperpete

2007-03-13          140418

The move must have been a hard thing to do. I'm sure you have lots of memories from the old place plus cleaning up and sorting everything in the new place is lots of work.

I'm torn between doing the same thing. Somebody offered me a pretty good price for my old farm house and barn that's on an acre and a half. The house is in good condition but needs some work (it was built in 1915). The barn is huge and one of the nicest in the area. It has several generations of people's (ancestors') stuff in it from years gone by. You literally cannot walk anywhere in it without tripping over something. The job to clean it up is immense and what do I do with all of stuff! There is lots of junk in it but some good antiques, old tractors lawn mowers, lathes,lumber etc.

I'll need to build a pole building just to keep a small percentage of the stuff. My wife says why, get rid of it all! It is a guy thing isn't it? ....

Moving Day

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-03-13          140420

YP, not sure if it is a male thing or not. I think part of it is what the tools represent to us. Many of mine it is not the tool but who gave it to me or who's it was. Sadly a good tool often out last relationships or fathers. For fact when they are gone, they are gone. So best be sure what you are doing. kt ....

Moving Day

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-03-14          140430

Yoper; Yes the decision to sell was a tough one. My parents farmed most of their working lives but never owned a farm so their was no "Home Place" for me to go back to. So what the Mrs. and I call the "Home Place" is the farm we just sold that we bought in 1969. We raised the family there, raised big gardens, built onto the house a couple times, and fully replaces every building except the house and a double corn crib. So memories, you bet, a tear or two were shed, but it had to happen. It wasn't a big enough farm to sustain a son or daughter to continue in farming and without family help the young people have a pretty tough time getting started. We as many of you too have saw some rock solid familys be torn apart by from helping one child more than the other, we didd'nt want that to happen. So about mid December when the new owners showed up with a very generous offer, it more or less told us it was time. Now that it has happpened all things have worked out for the best, yes some of my stuff will have to go to the auction or the dumpster but thank God we have our health, the kids are happy for us and I have a new adventure. So yes Yopper you too can accept what kinda has to happen. Keep safe. Frank. ....

Moving Day

View my Photos
yooperpete

2007-03-14          140433

I have sentimental feelings toward both of my country properties. The barn and farmhouse were purchased by my father from an aunt and uncle on my 10th birthday. It has 40 acres surrounding it that I won't ever sell. The other house is about a mile away and is on 1 3/4 acres and was built in 1969/70. That is the only piece left from the farm that has been in our family 150 years this year. An old shed remains with hinges dating back to 1903. So I know it is old. Still have out houses at both places. ....

Moving Day

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2007-04-15          141332

Hardwood
Great advice, my father-in-law a year ago received 2 grand ($2,000). From his mothers estate. His brother got 2K also. The (other) brother, who did NOT go off to the war (instead, stayed home to "help" with the family farm) walked off with the farm! Infact, 6 months after his mom passed, he sold it to a developement for 6.4 million!!!!. Yep, my father-in-law and his brother got a medal or two, and their other brother got the farm worth a ton!
Your advice and your actions were very good! ....

Moving Day

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-04-16          141337

Broken; Thanks for the response, yes things were working out good till we dicovered that the "Small Stuff", in the former shop at the farm was just more than we ever imagined it would be. We had built a loft in the shed here at the house, it is already to the ceiling with lumber, so we built another loft along the opposite wall, it's full. There is still Stuff (good stuff) at the farm, all the junk and marginal has bee sold or hauled away I've got room for the 4310 and the Gator but no room for any of my impliments or another 2000 ft. of lumber, the wife's mower and her complete collection of every John Deere adult lawn toy they ever built, they arer sitting outside. Really was an easy sell to conmvince the Mrs. that another shed was needed to store things, I've got the same firm UBC that built our house and the shed to build a second shed. We havent made a firm decision yet as to the size, probably in the 40X60 range, but I've never saw anyone have to saw off one end of a shed and take it back bcause the shed was too big, there just isn't such a thing. But to the meat of your response, yes we are adding to the value of property that kids could squabble over someday, but the wife and I kind of have an agreement that soon as the firs of us are gone the one left is going to sell the rest of the farm (50 acres) and the acerage where we are now and either rent an appartment or maybe buy a condo, just to help prevent things like happened to your father in law. All our kids get along pretty well now, but as was said the strongest of familys can be torn apart over the almighty dollar. Frank. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login