Go Bottom Go Bottom

Upstairs Storage for a Pole Barn

View my Photos
shinefeak
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-02-24          106745

I am in the process of having a 24X40 pole barn built(see pic 15). The builder and I agreed on a price of $24,800 for the shell with concrete poured. When the trusses showed up it was obvious that my storage is going to be a 4 ft high crawl space, which for me (knees and back) kinda useless.
Clearly I should have seen a drawing up front, I know better now. The builder has offered to put in 4 posts in the center and return/re-order the trusses so that I can get a 10 ft wide, 6 ft high, 40 ft. long space upstairs.
All this for another 4,800 ( 1000 return on the trusses). My question is does this seem like a fair price and/or worth the money?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
grinder
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-02-25          106774

A few questions come to mind. What are you going to store up there? What is the attic truss rated for(dead weight).
What about stairs cost? location? 10'x6' they are going to be out in the room a little. You will also have to light the stair and storage area, as well as isolate it if you are insulating,doors?. IMHO that 5 will turn into 10 real quick.

Options; (Lean to) on the side. No climbing or weight limits.you have one wall already.
For $5000.00 seams like you could build a nice stand alone
storage building.
I have a 14 or 15 step stair going up to the overhead in my
garage,as my walls are 11' tall. I would not do it again.
Lugging things up and down is a pain. I will be building a small storage shed soon.

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-02-25          106775

I've had an upstairs storage areia in a shed for a long time. It was a lot better deal 25 yrs. ago than now. The stairs do take up room and they have become a challenge. If you've got the room to do it I'll agree with Grinder, just use the building as you have it and either add a lean-to or another stand alone. That way there are no weight limit issues and a lot more comfortable when it's 100 in the shade. Best of luck. Frank. ....

View my Photos
shinefeak

2005-02-25          106784

Thanks for the replies. You guys make a good point about the lean-to/ storage building, unfortunately I don't have room close to the barn without a lot of grading/fill.
I wasn't thinking of keeping to many heavy things up there, but I can see lugging stuff could get be a pain.
I will consider a shed type structure in another location. ....

View my Photos
jwngej

2005-02-25          106820

shinefeak...where are you located. Looking at your pics, you sure have some beautiful views.. JohnJ ....

View my Photos
shinefeak

2005-02-27          106933

jwnngei,
NY, Catskills. Yes I enjoy the views myself. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2005-02-28          106947

I have an 12' ceiling in my shop. I built a loft 8' by the width for storage. I have my work benches and other tools under it. It's about 7.5' high under and 3.5' storage.

It seemed the best way to keep a nice ceiling and grab some storage space, which by the way after a couple of years the novelty of climbing up there to store stuff wore off. I go up there once a year now, maybe. The kids have more stuff stored up there than me.

I built a decent shed for storage, of course the kids want to fill that with their treasures also...

View my Photos
steve4300

2005-03-10          107761

around here they have what they call attic trusses or 2nd floor trusses. The trusses are built so that you get a room 12' wide by 8' high on a 24' wide building. built acording to the estimated load and if any walls under it. ....

View my Photos
im-rich

2010-12-19          175836

View my Photos
im-rich

2010-12-19          175837