Go Bottom Go Bottom

green or orange

View my Photos
Rick
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-05-28          4441

First off thanks to those of you who responded to my posting of a couple weeks ago and kept me from buying a graden tractor that I now realize would have been a waste of money. "Thanks, thanks thanks. $9,000.00 worth of thanks.So... after reviewing this forum and lots of research in the last two weeks I have narrowed my choices down to two.First: The JD 4100. Local dealer quoted me $14,690.00 with a 54" mower deck. It rides like a dream, runs smoother than the Kubota and for what it's worth the Hydrostatic foot controls seem better laid out. Also I haven't seen specs but the JD feels like it has a tighter turning radius which is a concern for me as 80% of usage will be for mowing. Second the Kubota B2710hst. Local quote $15,500 with a 60" deck. The Kubota has 7 more HP and I can really feel the difference when I drive it. It seems heavier and more solid than the JD but like I said runs a bit rougher. It also seems like it would be better able to handle the rough cut mower and tiller which I will be renting 3 or 4 times a year at least at first. Both dealers seem good (from what I can tell) and both are close. So... 2 questions. How good are the quoted prices? I have seen others quoted cheaper on here and have not started to neqotate yet. So I'm not sure if they will come down or how much. To be honest I'm not sure how to approch them with a cheaper offer. Also, How do these two tractors compare? I know that everyone will have their favorite color and that is fine. But I am also intreasted if anyone has first hand knowlede of either unit?Thanks in advance. I can use all the help I can get. Especially on the negotation part. I know that there are some dealers who read this forum so I would be really intreasted in your perspective on this. Turning radis

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

green or orange

View my Photos
dsg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

1999-05-28          4442

Rick; I own a JD 755 which is what the 4100 replaced. So I like green and will probably again buy green. But you really should compare apples to apples. The 4200 would come closer in comparison to the B2710. With that said, If mowing is 80% of your work the Kubota may be the better machine because of less weight. I do not own a B2710 nor have I tried one out, but from the spec's it looks to be a tough, lite weight hard working machine.Hope this helps,David ....

green or orange

View my Photos
mel

1999-05-28          4444

Dealer in Warrior, Al quoted me a price of $13,450 (tax and all) last month for a 4100 w/R4 tires, HST drive, DSCV and 60" belly mower, so I would think that you've got a little bargaining room left. I really liked the 4100 a lot and was going to purchase one to take care of my 4 acres, but I managed to buy an additional 7 acres of land next door and I opted to move up to a 4400, which I ordered on 4-15 and from what I've been reading it may get here some time this Fall. Sorry I can't help you on the comparison between the two, I've never owned a kubota, my dad and I have 4 JD's between us and I can't complain about any of them. A good friend of mine recently bought a 4100 and the only complaint that he has is that he can't get his wife off of it. I really don't think that you can go wrong with green or orange, you'll just have to decide which one suits you the best. Hope this helps. ....

green or orange

View my Photos
Mike

1999-05-28          4446

WOW!!! A John Deere man with an unbiased opinion.Whats this world coming to? ....

green or orange

View my Photos
Ben

1999-05-28          4447

How about the warranties? Check those out too. Also, look ahead 10 years (if you plan on keeping it that long). If you start making repairs, I hear Kubota's parts prices are quite high. Not a big deal now, but maybe in the future. ....

green or orange

View my Photos
Ben

1999-05-28          4448

How about the warranties? Check those out too. Also, look ahead 10 years (if you plan on keeping it that long). If you start making repairs, I hear Kubota's parts prices are quite high. Not a big deal now, but maybe in the future. ....

green or orange

View my Photos
JonB

1999-05-29          4455

I love my 4100 Hydro. The foot pedals were one reasons I chose the 4100 over aKubota. I also like the local dealer more, but having the right and left brakecontrols on the side opposite of the hydro controls was important to me. If I droveprofessionally, the Kubota would be okay, but for a weekend warrior, the layoutof the Deere is easier to learn--at least for me. I would like more power . . . but then I'd also like more acreage . . . and more money . . . and . . . the listgoes on. The 4100 more than meets MY needs. Best of luck. ....

green or orange

View my Photos
James Dominici

1999-05-29          4458

green or orange

View my Photos
Paul

1999-05-29          4460

Go to your dealer and tell him that $14,690 is a little high with only a 54"mower go 60" at least. GET A REAR DISCHARGE MOWER. The lawn will look alotsmoother. Nit Pick the hell out of the deal. Blame your wife or what ever to get the lowest deal. If he can't get the price lower go home he will be calling if your both serious about buying and selling. Yall aint sleeping together so it don't matter if the dealer gets pissed off. Then tell the Orangeguy the same thing. You aint the first guy to tell them this. They heard itall before and know how to answer before you finish the question. It don't matter how you approach them words don't mean nuthin. Just tell them that itstoo much money to drop for what little they are givin ya. No matter how good the deal let THEM THINK that YOU FEEL that your getting screwed. Don't jump upand down and shit sparks no matter what they offer you. Your in control as longas you gotta write the check. Let me know how you do. ....

green or orange

View my Photos
Rick

1999-05-29          4471

Thanks Paul. I suppose your right about the words not mattering. But unlike a car deal I don't really have any other service options ifI get off on the wrong foot with the tractor dealer. Just not sure howto approach it and how far to push it. From what I have seen posted theKubota price is pretty good for a first offer. I am leaning oranger rightnow. Unless there are some horror stories about the 2710 that I haven't foundhere or at kubota source. ....

green or orange

View my Photos
Alan

1999-05-30          4489

I can't comment on the JD 4100 as I have never seen one, but have owned a Kubota B2719 HST for 8 days and I love it. I have only used it 15 hours so far and all I have done so far is brush mow 14 of my 24 acres. A terrible mess, with thick weeds and grass 6 feet tall, hills and draws, along with a honey locust tree every ten feet, some in clumps. I have a 5 foot Rhino rotary mower and the combination goes through this mess with ease. The tach stays right on the 2600 RPMS it takes to maintain 540 PTO RPMs - NO lugging at all experienced. This property had not had a cow on it or been mowed since 1984. It is a real project getting it ready for us to build on it, but the Kubota will make short work of it. The trees I run over don't slow the mower down at all - the only thing that does at all are the large fire ant mounds in our heavy clay soil. Even then I just let off the pedal momentarily and then go right back at it.The engine seems very smooth to me, and I like the position of the hydro pedals. I have yet to use the brakes, except the emergency brake, since the tractor stops real quick when you let off the hydro pedal.The tractor seems very high quality, and tough as nails.The reason I didn't bother look at JD is because once I decided I needed a NEW tractor I didn't want to wait for the JD. I walked in the Kubota dealership and picked out my tractor from stock. Got it the next day. I probably would have decided on the Kubota anyway, since the 4200 is much heavier. The kubota rides on a 16 foot trailer real well.I got R4 tires and I have mowed with the 5 foot Rhino finishing mower with excellent results as well. Takes 25 minutes to mow my one-acre personal playground.I'm not selling Kubotas, but you asked. Hopefully you will get some more feedback from 4100 owners, who seem to be very happy as well. Seems like I heard you can't put a backhoe on a 4100 if you're inclined to do so, and the loaders on the other JD tractors seem to be short supply.If you're considering JD, I would look at the 4200, which is pretty much equivalent to the B2710 according to specs I've read. A lot heavier tho. ....

green or orange

View my Photos
Alan

1999-05-30          4490

Oops. I typed B2719 - meant 2710. ....

green or orange

View my Photos
Doug

1999-06-02          4653

I paid $17,200 for an L-3010 with HST, front loader and R-1's after playing "poker" with the dealer, no hard feelings either way. I got my tractor last weeek and just love it. Green is good but I don't think I would trade what I have for anything! Good luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login