Go Bottom Go Bottom

3-pt hitch help - please

View my Photos
Mark_in_NH
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-05-08          3596

I hate to sound like an idiot, but in this I am...I just got a Deere 4300 (my first tractor) 2 weeks ago, and a Bush Hog cutter delivered yesterday. It took me nearly an hour to get the two connected! The tractor manual says to hitch up an implement according to the implement manual, and the cutter manual says to refer to the tractor book for how to hook up the hitch. The cutter weighs about 600 lb, so I am totally unable to shift it around. I must have backed up to it zillions of time trying to get the draft links aligned with the pins. Eventually I resorted to dragging the cutter by the top link to get it as straight as I could then pounding the hitch arms onto the pins with a piece of wood and a maul.I know one should "refer to the manual," but it would be GREAT if someone would describe the sequence of events in hitching up an immobile implement. How does one get all the tabs and slots aligned without resorting to violence? For that matter, I was surprised at how hard the PTO shaft was to get hooked up - the plastic shield and the tractor's PTO shield made getting my hand in there to fool with the PTO pin nearly impossible - how does one do this? How about adjusting the sway bars? HELLLP!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

3-pt hitch help - please

View my Photos

1999-05-09          3606

Here's how I do it:1;Use a bungee cord to hold the draft links together at approximately the correct width. 2; Back up squarely to the BH with the draft links directly below the lift pins on the BH. 3; Connect the draft link that is HIGHER if one is higher than the other. 4; Adjust the lift link on the tractor to shorten the link not connected till it lines up, or lengthen the lift link on the draft link that IS connected, which will bring the other one into alignment. 5; Raise the hitch as required to connnect the top link. 5; connect the PTO shaft. Trim the plastic safety PTO shield bell to provide a reasonable compromise between safety & function, a functional altered shield is safer than a complete one lying in the weeds. Adjust the sway limiters to provide no less than 2" of lateral sway throughout the lift range, they should need no further adjustment. ....

3-pt hitch help - please

View my Photos
Steve F.

1999-05-09          3611

Welcome to the world of tractors and 3-point hitches. The first time is alwaysthe hardest, its the nature of the beast. Besides what "RickB" stated you will haveto make several adjustments with to the draft arms. This may require hard mallet and brute force. It's O.K. to get angry you'll learn from your mistakes, Just don't do anything stupid with the PTO until you are sure it's on correctly. Rotary cutters are the most dangerous implementsmade. I don't know about the compact JD's but my 100 hp tractor has telescope draft hitches to make it easier to get it around the draft hitch pin. You will need to adjust the lift draft to level the implement. The PTO shaft should align with the implement, if it does not check withthe dealer. The tractor should have a retractable guard that lifts out of the way giving access to the PTO shaft. Just remember patients and safety. ....

3-pt hitch help - please

View my Photos
Steve F.

1999-05-09          3612

Welcome to the world of tractors and 3-point hitches. The first time is alwaysthe hardest, its the nature of the beast. Besides what "RickB" stated you will haveto make several adjustments with to the draft arms. This may require a hard mallet and brute force. It's O.K. to get angry you'll learn from your mistakes, Just don't do anything stupid with the PTO until you are sure it's on correctly. Rotary cutters are the most dangerous implementsmade. I don't know about the compact JD's but my 100 hp tractor has telescope draft hitches to make it easier to get it around the draft hitch pin. You will need to adjust the lift draft to level the implement. The PTO shaft should align with the implement, if it does not check withthe dealer. The tractor should have a retractable guard that lifts out of the way giving access to the PTO shaft. Just remember patients and safety. ....

3-pt hitch help - please

View my Photos

1999-05-09          3618

Rick B's advice is good, so is Steve's as getting the hang of it is the hard part. Once you have one of the lift arms attached, you can usually get the other to align by raising you 3pt slightly and then lowering it. Watch your feet when you do this as it's best done standing along side of the tractor so as to allow you to watch how the pin lines up. With only one or two points attached (assuming the top link), the implement will twist sideways as it lines up when you lift it. Don't worry about hammering directly on the lift arms with a 3-5 pound hammer. It won't hurt it, but don't hammer directly on the ball joint either.Lee ....

3-pt hitch help - please

View my Photos
pete

1999-05-09          3621

I was also frustrated until I bought a 3-point quick connect attachment. It is a metal frame that you just back up into the implement and lever the connectors onto. It works well, especially if you need to change attachments frequently. ....

3-pt hitch help - please

View my Photos
JonB

1999-05-09          3622

I got my JD 4100 about two weeks ago, and have changed attachments frequentlyw/o problems of any kind. My heaviest implement is about 700 lbs. (my tractoris smaller) but the procedure should be similar. Also, since I'm new to tractors, my terminology is probably not the best.First, I raise the 3-pt hitch to its highest position (with nothing attached).The middle/top arm is held up by a hook on the tractor. I also remove a rubber bungee tie that holds the hitch arms together--when they spread open, they seem the perfect width to "fall" in place.Second, I back up to the implement, as close to dead center as I can. A coupleof times I've used a right or left turning brake to align the lower arms evenlywith the hitch points. I hydraulically lower the two lower hitches.Using this method I've been able to get one or both arms to the correct height,and slip the pins in without hammer or other force. One time I could only get one lower pin in, so I started the tractor and used the hydraulic lift/lower control to move the arm about 1/8"--and it then slipped in easily. Another timeI physically rolled the tractor backwards to align the second pin (remember mytractor is lighter than yours--you might consider starting it up and letting itmove itself that final 1/4" needed).The top arm hitch has never been a problem. I have simply used the lengthadjustment screw to align the ball joint with the pin. Of course, once connected, I have leveled and straightened the implements using the appropriate adjustments.Hope this helps. I do agree with the prior posts, patience and practice.Best of luck. ....

3-pt hitch help - please

View my Photos
Steve Hansen

1999-05-09          3627

Mark,As a new tractor owner with a bush hog I suggest you read the article on "Choosing, Mounting, and using a Bush Hog Type Mower" in the on-line "YESTERDAY'S TRACTOR MAGAZINE." Got to[http://www.ytmag.com]. Go down the left side bar to "Research & Info" and click on "Article Archives." When the second page comes up click on the last article in the first section titled "General Tractor Information." Have Fun!! ....

3-pt hitch help - please

View my Photos
triplenet

1999-05-10          3656

What a revelation!!! I always taught that it took2 people to hook up a 3 point, and I never got to drive the tractor!I'm smarter now.I get as close as I can and connect one of the lower arms. Then pull ahead or backalign the second. The upper link can then be aligned with liftin or lowering thearms. ....

3-pt hitch help - please

View my Photos
Roger L.

1999-05-12          3718

Don't get discouraged! It took all of us a long time for a while. Beating on itwith a maul is perfectly acceptable, and you might find a 5' pole handy too forfor levering the ol' hog the last 1/4 inch or so. Try not to break anything. You will get better at it. The trick is to hookon one lower arm and then move the tractor a few inches to align the other arm.Raising and lowering the second arm with the hydraulics can help. if you don't have telescoping draft links you will need the pole refered toabove! The top link comes LAST! (usually). Good luck........Roger L. ....

3-pt hitch help - please

View my Photos
Dave

1999-05-12          3744

Mark -All the advice given is good, especially that from Pete about a quick connect device. When my JD 4300 was delivered, I watched an old pro with 30+ years of experience "fight" the 3-pt hitch. That convinced me that I was going to need a quick connect.John Deere's "Quicktach" is over $400 - I got one for $179 at a TSC (Tractor Supply Co.) store. ....

3-pt hitch help - please

View my Photos
scott

1999-05-12          3753

mark I have space under my shed so I hung all my 3pt equipment from swing chains 4"or 5"off the groud this lets you move them around. this works for mescott ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login