Go Bottom Go Bottom

Mounting license plate on tractor - where

View my Photos
Mark_in_NH
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-05-01          3361

I just picked up a license plate for my John Deere 4300, since to get it from one side of the place to the other I have to use about 200 feet of state highway. Now I'm going nuts trying to figure out where and how to mount the thing. I *REALLY* don't want to drill anything. What I see most of is the plate wired to one of the side loader arms, but since the loader goes off and on so easily it's often off. The area behind the operator is filled with the SMV, and below that the plate would run into the PTO cover. So far the best I've come up with is to wire it to the hood protector bracket. Has anyone come up with anything better?BTW, in this state with no sales or personal income tax, fees and personal property taxes are pretty high. Registering a car can be a financially painful process. I went into the town office Thursday and was surprised to be charged $6 for the town's part. When the clerk noted I'd have to pay the state "three fifty-five" when I picked up the plate my heart sank. Turns out the state tractor registration fee is $1, and I pay $2.55 to cover the cost of the plate itself. Kewel!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Jason MacKenzie

1999-05-02          3404

Mark, I live in New Hampshire also.. in the seacoast area. I have never bothered to mount my plates. I figure as long as I took the time to register the machine I should be all set. When I had my 855, I used to keep my plate with me for awhile.. I slide it down in a crevice that was out of my way between the seat and the fender. I have never had a problem with it, or the police giving me a hard time about it.. I mean, Hell if they see that you at least register your machine..when they ask you once.. I am sure you would be fine from there on out... It would be a pretty tight Pinch on the cops part if they write you up, knowing your situation, and knowing you at least registered it.. But, overall, just register your machine.. I am sure they won't give you a problem.. you never know, but just a human gut feeling.. I am sure they wouldn't.. ....

View my Photos
Brent Pepper

1999-05-03          3410

That is unbelievable. You actually have to register your tractor with the DMV? Here in Alabama there is no need to register your tractor or get a tag and we can use tax free offroad farm fuel in our tractors. 55 cents a gallon for farmfuel!Brent ....

View my Photos
Mark_in_NH

1999-05-03          3422

>That is unbelievable. You actually have to register your tractor with the DMV? Yep, if it's driven on public roads. If you don't need a tag, Alabama may be the only state where a motor vehicle is permitted on highways without registration. In any event, I've seen tags on tractors on the road everywhere else I've lived.>Here in Alabama there is no need to register your tractor or get a tag and we >can use tax free offroad farm fuel in our tractors. Of course, you pay sales and income taxes, and we don't :) I think tax-free agricultural fuels are available everywhere. My problem is getting it - diesel is hard enough to find, let alone red diesel. ....

View my Photos
Mark_in_NH

1999-05-03          3423

>I am sure they won't give you a problemProlly right. This is a town of about 600, and one of the local cops lives more or less across the street - I think that's about a third of the force. I doubt anyone is in the least interested in hassling me. OTOH, I'm a physician and my dad's a retired federal judge, so I've got this motivation to "do things right" coupled with the pessimistic assumption that if ANYone gets busted it'll be me... ....

View my Photos

1999-05-04          3459

Farm equipment is the only motor vehicle catergory in Alabama that is notrequired to be registered or have a license plate. ....

View my Photos

1999-05-04          3467

The only "license plate" I have is an orange triangle. Our property taxes and gas taxes are sky-high, tho. ....

View my Photos

1999-05-04          3468

nm ....

View my Photos

1999-05-04          3471

. ....

View my Photos

1999-05-05          3512

. ....

View my Photos
jd

1999-06-15          5124

virgina has no such reg... in fact you can go up to 30 miles on public road w/oregistration/plates... if you are going to/from repair place, or to/from lands you are working...in fact if you have no licence and a DUI, you can do the same up to 5 miles...-jd ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login