Go Bottom Go Bottom

Are these dozers more reliable now

View my Photos
postman907
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-11-06          147874

I am thinking about buying one of these dozers. Are the new ones more reliable? Do you still hear of bell-housing bolt problems, blown gaskets and leaking seals on low-hour tractors?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-11-06          147875

Postman907,

Not sure what you're referring to here. If you attempted to post a picture, it didn't go through.

Please explain further.

Joel ....

View my Photos
postman907

2007-11-06          147879

Wow! I just looked at my posting and I understand why you didn't know what I was talking about... Sorry! I'm talking about the NorTrac dozers that Northern Tool is selling. Has the quality improved over the years or is it still kind of a risky investment? ....

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-11-06          147880

Postman907,

I'm a big fan of Northern Tool. I've purchased a whole number of items from them, and always had good luck with their tools, pumps, etc.

I've considered buying some of their tractor implements, but the closest store is more than 200 miles from me. Tractor Supply is much closer, at 40 miles.

Now maybe I'm wrong, but if the tractors being sold by Northern Tool were causing all kinds of trouble for them, I believe they'd drop the line. Instead, Northern Tool continues to expand the tractor business.

From my own point of view, I can purchase a used D3 Cat for about the same money, and I can always sell the Cat when I'm done using it. Selling a used NorTrac might not be as easy.

Click on the following link. See lot Numbers 536 and 537.

Joel ....

Link:   Proxibid Equipment Auction - Caterpillar D3 -- Lot 536

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-11-06          147881

I've had mixed experience with Northern Tools and usually buy from them only as a last resort. That said, if you're comfortable doing your own mechanical work on this type of machine you could probably do fine. With Northern backing it at least parts are probably available. If you're not, well, something with local dealer backing would probably be more satisfactory. If you've got a business riding on the equipment you'd probably be better off with a major brand. Nothing worse than losing money while equipment is down waiting for parts and repairs. ....

View my Photos
kleinchris

2007-11-06          147883

I'm a big Northern Tool fan. I also believe in you get what you pay for. Saying that, what is the price of any Nortrac machine compared to a similar HP machine of any other brand? About 50% to 30% less? The way it was explained to me by the guy who owns Ag-King tractors is this: Nortrac is a company name that Norhtern tools calls it's tractor line. Northern buys these tractor from Jinma (China), and Jinma ships them over here in crates, with decals that Northern has ordered to say "Nortrac." Ag-King does the exact same thing. I have taken a pretty good look at a few of these models, and I even considered one, briefly. (However, Jinma does not make a HST model, and that is a deal breaker for me.)

As for service- I think that will depend on your local store and manager. Northern in general sells a full range of stuff, from top of the line to the worst this planet has to offer. Based on the price of the Nortrac, it's not the best tractor made- however, maybe it's good enough for what you need to do. Heres a good example: Northern Tools sells a few different models of parts cleaners. I bought the cheapest one they had- why? Because I am not a professional mechanic. The cleaner I bought works for me when I need it, but if I was running a garage, I might have chosen a better model. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-11-07          147894

Klienchris makes good sense. I have only been on two Northern Tool stores and they did not have any sort of repair shop there that I saw. Then neither does Tractor Supply or any other such chain that I have been into.

If they have a good shop that does the work it might be good. At any rate I do not believe the person who buys from Lowes or Home Depot and than carries the lawn mower or saw to the local what ever brand shop it is gets the same level of service as the person who bought from that shop. No doubt some will tell me I am totally wrong, but there are too many other variables than just doing the exact work. kt

View my Photos
postman907

2007-11-07          147923

Well, can anyone recommend a good compact (Chinese/Korean) dozer that is supported in the U.S. but that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? I'm looking for something about the size of a D2.

Thanks,

Eric ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-11-07          147930

Postman, the issue is am I better off with a new tractor of this brand or a used one of a major brand it seems. With either repairs are to a point unknown. You may wish to look at used and if so would suggest the link below. It list many machines and you can search it about it way you wish by brand, location and so forth. My experience is many of those listings are Companies and not individuals such as with ebay. Again, based upon my limited experience expect some price flexing but not a lot. kt ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-11-07          147943

My Caterpillar book says they weigh about 7000-7500 lb.
And were built between 1947 and '58.

Why don't you buy a bobcat with steel tracks (I can hook you up with them for around a grand)?

With tracks they're almost like a dozer, and much much more versatile. And if you have to cross driveways you can remove the steel tracks and have use of the tires.

There aren't many attchements for dozers, but bobcats have over 200 and increasing daily. ....

View my Photos
kleinchris

2007-11-07          147948

Postman,
What all do you plan on doing with this machine? It could be that a Nortrac could work well for you- I don't know about the dozing part however. They is a lot of experience around here that could steer you in the right direction but you would need to get pretty specific about what you want to do. Dozing, no probably not. Mowing, grading, loader work, cement mixing? Or do you want to run a party trailer like me? ....

View my Photos
kleinchris

2007-11-11          148111

Postman, if you are looking for a low dollar tractor, I don't think you are going to do much better than a Jinma. However, the salesman I was talking to warned me that the Jinma's backhoes wouldn't do too well in the Rockies with the rocky soil and frozen ground half the year. And that was a good point for Colorado- just going to be worse in Alaska. I know you didnt ask about the backhoe- I'm just using it as an example of the overall machine quality.

Have you considered a gray market tractor? What HP are you interested in? ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-11-12          148118

Chris, why the connection between lower quality and not being able to use a backhoe? ....

View my Photos
kleinchris

2007-11-12          148121

I was told the backhoe thw back hoes was a lower quality unit. Low breakout force, thinner gauge steel than other hoes, and also about half the price. ....

View my Photos
conteracing

2008-04-20          153133

I think everyone got off track, I also would like to hear from owners, not so called experts! Has anyone braved the unknown, and bought one of these mini Dozer's? For $15,000.00 you can't beat the price even if it only runs for 1000 hr.s ....

View my Photos
Murf

2008-04-21          153143

After 6 months if you haven't found someone who has one, the chances are pretty slim you ever will.

As for a $15k dozer, I'd take a old used machine for that money over a brand new import every day of the week.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-04-21          153152

Quote:
Originally Posted by conteracing | view 153133
I also would like to hear from owners, not so called experts!

It has been my experience a company can provide a potential buyer with real life buyers if they are asked for on a product of a large price. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-04-21          153157

I keep hearing that contractors are downsizing and getting rid of any equipment they can turn into dollars. You could put the word out to contractors in your locale of your interest. Also look for auctioneers that specialize in construction equipment and get on their mailing lists. ....

View my Photos
conteracing

2008-04-23          153188

Well Fellow tractoaholics, I just talked with a gentleman that said he will ship it to your closest port for 10,000.00+ship of 896.00 to San Diego. I have also been talking with a gentleman from Oregon somewhere, and he has owned his since 2003 with no problems. The only thing that he had a problem with was a leak from a hose he installed. I think I'll take the plunge. I think 11,000.00 is an excellent price for this mini dozer with a Perkins Diesel, Cat Controls, and Italian Hydrolics. Have fun guys. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-04-23          153193

Good luck on your purchase. Please come back when you get it to tell us how the transaction went, how the machine is, and most of all post some pics :)

View my Photos
Paul161

2009-03-05          160811

You can take this for what it's worth. I retired after 40 years in the construction business. My farm activities are just a hobby. I agree with the gentleman that said earlier, he would rather spend 15 Gs on a used popular brand dozer than a new Chinese one. As I said, I agree with him whole heartly. One reason is the rollers, track rails and pins are made out of a poorer quality material than most popular brands and I'm only talking about Chinese built dozers. They'll wear out twice as fast. Japanese Dozers are extreamly well built and are of the highest quality and a pleasure to run. Cat, John Deere, etc speak for themselves. Cat dozers lead the industry for years in design and quality. They still do, but the cost is high. I would buy a used Cat or JD, their out there if you look hard enough. Good luck! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login