Go Bottom Go Bottom

Diesel1 Diesel2 Auto diesel and truck diesel

View my Photos
johnathon
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-10-11          98087

Sorry about the post!!! did not know about the character ###
I Received my NH TC35a and it is time to refuel it. I read through the manuel and it states use #1 for warmer climents and #2 for cooler climents. I went to 3 different fueling stations and the pumps are marked as follows. Auto diesel, truck diesel, #2 red off road Diesel. Nobody could tell me the difference at the fueling stations what to use for a tractor and what #1 Diesel was or the auto Diesel. I have been reading all of your posts since may and I am still not clear, nost seem to be using additives as well which my manuel does not mention. Can someone give me some advice?
Thanks for all your help

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-10-11          98091

First: the numbers are transposed. #1 is for cold weather and #2 for warmer weather.

There is no difference I know of between truck and auto diesel fuel.

You probably will not even find #1 fuel until the weather turns cold and then it will most likely be the only fuel you can buy until the weather turns warm again.

You can create your own #1 fuel by adding some kerosene to the fuel tank as AV8R pointed out.

Diesel additives are not necessary in some regions where premium fuels are available. I get straight #2/home heating oil in the summer and #2/HHO with anti gel treatment in the winter.

I treat all the fuel I buy because there is no guarantee that I will use up my 50 gallon storage in any particular season, and I see a dramatic difference in power and reduced engine noise/smoking with additives. ....

View my Photos
AV8R
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-10-11          98100

Thought I'd move my responce over here for referance.

My OPINION and what I have done with fuel for tractor, cars and truck (all Diesel) is to buy #2 most of the time. When Temps are below +30 Deg F, I get either winter blended #2 or 1/2 #1 and 1/2 #2. I do not use any addatives, never have, probably never will. I have 300K on my 86 VW, 175K on my Cummins Dodge, 60K on the VW TDI and 50 hrs (1 winter) on the Kubota.

I only jelled once in 15 years of diesel-only driving. It was my fault because I did not pay attension to what fuel I bought. Straight #2 in mid January (-30 deg F) in my Dodge/Cummins. Towed it home, put the shop light on the fuel filter, then topped the tank (1/4) with #1. Ran fine from there.

Where you live in NC, you will probably never have jelling problems with a good, fresh #2 fuel.

From my understanding #2 is same as red only #2 has road tax and red has dye.

#1 is higher refined with more addatives and a higher cetane (comparable to gas-octane) rating. #2 has more btu content so should give better efficiency and power, #1 is less prone to tempreture related problems.

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-10-11          98123

Basically you have only 2 types of diesel
That used in vehicles and that which is not used in vehicles.

#1 and # 2 designates wither it's a winter or summer blend.
Those Big Trucks you see at the pump are buying what you might term on road diesel. Wither it's #1 or # 2 depends on if it's winter or summer.

Off road diesel is used off road for such things as home heating.
Kerosene and home heating oil would be off road.

Agriculture is diesel fuel used in tractors and other farm vehicles. It's the same stuff you see the truckers filling up with at the service stations but without the 40 to 50 cent a gallon state sales tax. This is what you want for your tractor.
Your tractor is exempt from this road tax because it isn't driven on the roads.

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-10-11          98139

lbrown59: #1 and # 2 designates wither it's a winter or summer blend. Those Big Trucks you see at the pump are buying what you might term on road diesel. Wither it's #1 or # 2 depends on if it's winter or summer.

This is not necessarily true. #1 is more refined (cetane addatives) but not always winterized. #2 is less refined but may be winterized. It all depends on the supplier. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-10-11          98142

This covers pretty much any questions on diesel fuel. ....

Link:   Diesel Fuels Technical Review

View my Photos
johnathon

2004-10-12          98151

Thank you all for the great info as usual. I appoligize for the imature questions, but I am a newbe at all this farm stuff and want to make sure I am doing things right. Thanks all once again. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-10-12          98155

Thank you all for the great info as usual. I appoligize for the imature questions, but
1*I am a newbe at all this farm stuff and want to make sure I am doing things right. Thanks all once again.
johnathon
======================
1*Don't feel bad so am I. I've only had my tractor a little over 3 weeks.
Learning a Lot from the board.

View my Photos
Woodie

2004-11-03          99787

I too appreciate all the info on the board. everyone even if new to tractors has something to offer. Now to my puzzler, in regard to various deisel fuels does anyone have experience with Soydiesel or Bio diesel fuels? Its being offered locally albeit a bit more$$ claims less smoke , better lube. Any thoughts ,recommendations?? ....

View my Photos
harvey

2004-11-04          99803

On Road Diesel is LOW SULFUR. I do not believe it is labeled 1 or 2 any longer. It is cut with "clear" kerosene and othe additives for winter use.

Off Road Diesel is HIGH SULFUR and is dyed red. This is the fuel deilvered to farmers, large construction equipment and home heating. It is also cut with dyed kerosene for winter use.

There are still old people around here that insist on #1 or #2 and the suppliers sell that to them. For some reason it still costs more. The only difference is cut or uncut.

The suppliers can not keep all of the different types of storage tanks to keep all of these diferent kinds of fuel. The environmental and libality issues would kill them. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-11-04          99807

Woodie: As harvey mentioned what with all the extra storage tanks etc. involved I'm not sure if my supplyer is fully geared up to offer soydiesel yet. A farmer friend of mine has used it for a couple years now and has'nt had any problems. I don't understand all of the economics of refining oil, producing soydiesel, and I'm sure some tax issues involved, but it just sems to me with crude at record high prices and the soybean market really down in the dumps that it should encourage using as much of our own homegrown fuel as possible. I've been paying from 1.65 to 1.90 for farm fuel this fall from my supplier. I'm not sure what the total road tax is in Iowe, but with tax road fuel is surely in the 2.30 neighborhood. Have a good day. Frank. ....

View my Photos
plots1

2004-11-04          99812

Soybean market low.... guess thats why I'm seeing so many uncut bean fields they seemed to turn a month ago but are yet to be cut.though it was wet weather but that wasn't the case because they where in there cuttin the corn. ....

View my Photos
BillMullens

2004-11-04          99814

Everybody I know uses off-road diesel in their farm tractors. Also recommended by my dealer.

Good luck,
Bill ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login