Go Bottom Go Bottom

Power issue with TC33D

View my Photos
jsalyer1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-07-10          90522

I purchased a TC33D new with a 7308 FEL and 914A Mower. Tractor runs great. I have always thought my tractor was under powered. I recently test drove another TC33D and found that it had more pulling power than mine. High range in my tractor is only useful on totally flat land. If there is any kind of grade at all, it will not pull. Engine just bogs down. Tractor has 320 hrs on it. Hydraulic fluid has been changed three times. My dealer doesn't have a clue what can be wrong. It is under warranty but I don't want a tractor that has been taken apart just after 300 hrs of use. My dealer has a terrible service department.
It's been this way since it was new. I just thought it was the way those tractors were. I am operating the tractor at 2100 RPMs. Loader seems a bit weak as well but I haven't had an opportunity to compare it to any thing. Does anyone have any suggestions? It is really frustrating. I really hate to go green or orange. The tractor is a perfect size and I think the controls for the operator are much better than green or orange.

Picture Link

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Power issue with TC33D

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-07-11          90532

When you say "test drove and it had more pulling power than yours" are you comparing apples and apples? I mean are you sure that your tracor is not just under sized for the impliments your using when pulling up those steep hills I saw in your pics? If you were to consider going to anouther tractor consider a tc 35 or 40. Blue id the prettiest color out there and the very sharp looking new design is very appealing! LOL
Good luck with your problems, I am sure a few mechanics here on the board can tell you something to look for, I on the other hand would use it as an excuse to buy a larger tractor! ....

Power issue with TC33D

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-07-11          90533

When you say "test drove and it had more pulling power than yours" are you comparing apples and apples? I mean are you sure that your tracor is not just under sized for the impliments your using when pulling up those steep hills I saw in your pics? If you were to consider going to anouther tractor consider a tc 35 or 40. Blue id the prettiest color out there and the very sharp looking new design is very appealing! LOL
Good luck with your problems, I am sure a few mechanics here on the board can tell you something to look for, I on the other hand would use it as an excuse to buy a larger tractor! ....

Power issue with TC33D

View my Photos
jsalyer1

2004-07-11          90541

My tractor was at the dealer being checked out when I test drove the other TC33D. First I pulled the new TC33D up a small incline. It pulled it in high fine. I backed back down half way stopped and went up it again. This is with no implements. I then got on my tractor pulled up to the same incline and just barely got up it in high. I then backed down halfway, tried to take off, wouldn't budge. Dealer stood right there and watched me. Only difference in tractors was mine had a FEL and the other diddn't. ....

Power issue with TC33D

View my Photos
treeman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-11          90547

Take your loader off and try it. My TC33D acts weaker with the loader on because it weighs almost 1000 pounds. Same thing with the belly mower. It slows the tractor because it weighs maybe 700lbs. When Winter comes and I only have my rear snow blade on, it feels like it has twice the power. ....

Power issue with TC33D

View my Photos
jsalyer1

2004-07-11          90550

That's a good point. I have also test drove a kubota B2910 (29)w/FEL that would pull up much steeper hills than mine would start in high or second. ....

Power issue with TC33D

View my Photos
TomG

2004-07-12          90610

Differences in weight sure could be the explanation, and the loader seems a good bet. Loaded tires also would make a difference.

There is one simple thing to check. I recall several threads about low power from HST tractors. The explanation for at least one of them was that the drakes were dragging.

Power issue with TC33D

View my Photos
5picker

2004-07-12          90628

With my TC33D and FEL, weight is a factor in performance, especially in "Hi or III'rd" range. While I don't have any problem starting out or going up inclines in "Hi" with an empty machine and the FEL and ballast box attached, I do see a MAJOR difference with the bucket fully loaded. So I suspect in "Hi," you are close the limitations of the machine empty, add in some weight in the bucket, and you are pushing it's limits.

I doubt "hi" is intended to be used for much other than highway transport. I find I use range "II" for most projects and on occasion will run out of power there as well. I have yet to run into a situation where range "I" didn't supply superior power...even to the point of being downright scared I could damage my machine!
Tim ....

Power issue with TC33D

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-12          90631

Is 2100 rpm the max on this machine? If not I suggest kicking it in the butt and running at least at PTO speed.

Also, one of the hardest things to learn after years of driving cars is that when you want to climb a hill with a HST you have to back off on the pedal. That right foot is trained to push that pedal into passing gear. ....

Power issue with TC33D

View my Photos
oneace

2004-07-12          90700

Don't be afraid to run the engine at full throttle when you start to bog it down. By now it s very well broken in.

Another issue that might be wrong with your unit is the relief valve may be set too low from the factory. Your dealer can adjust that with little problem. As far as have your tractor tore down with only 300 some hours on it, I have tore them in to many many pieces with just 4 to 10 hours on them. Some times things happen that is why there is a warranty. If you don't want your tractor tore down trade it in. ....

Power issue with TC33D

View my Photos
jsalyer1

2004-07-13          90741

I have never run the tractor at full throttle. It seems like it is really hard on the engine. What is a max RPM for theses tractors? ....

Power issue with TC33D

View my Photos
oneace

2004-07-13          90794

There is no way to hurt the engine on those tractors by over revving it. They are governed to only allow so many rpms. Do not be afraid to give it all shes got you're not going to hurt it. Just as long as you maintain pto speed when running an implement. ....

Power issue with TC33D

View my Photos
jsalyer1

2004-07-13          90817

I do have a whole lot of throttle left. The maximum RPM on the tractor gauge is 3000 RPM's. Full throttle will just about put it to that limit. It just seems like it is over reving the engine by just watching the tach. I do think that will help my power issue though. I rarely run the tractor over 2100 RPMS. Another 500 RPMS will make a difference. ....

Power issue with TC33D

View my Photos
5picker

2004-07-14          90856

Optimum engine/PTO speed on my TC33D relates to about 2600 rpm. At that speed I am at about 3/4 throttle with a little room to give her more if load demands. These engines are designed to run all day at that rpm to be comfortably in the best torque range that the engine delivers. Don't be afraid to use it at that rpm for everything, even if the PTO is not engaged.
Tim ....

Power issue with TC33D

View my Photos
StephenR

2004-07-14          90860

The manual states that net hp is at 2800 rpms. ....

Power issue with TC33D

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-07-14          90862

Sounds to me that it is carboned up from excessive low RPM/load use. Hi range is for transport on flat land.

Mine kicks out black smoke for a couple minutes when put to good use after allot of low load operation. It has noticeably more power when she's cleaned out. Running at 540PTO speed and slightly above for hours at a time won't hurt it. ....

Power issue with TC33D

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-07-14          90864

You guys correct me if I get this wrong.....

In diesel talk, an engine running at PTO RPM but doing no work is said to be a high idle. The same engine running at 1000 RPM and doing no work is at low idle.

It is the application of a load on the engine, and the injection of more fuel by the governor to maintain RPM under that load, that adds strain to the engine, not simply setting the RPM at high range. ....

Power issue with TC33D

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-07-14          90871

Drankin
Yes, I agree. What I meant about high range was the hydro range. Running at lower engine RPM's while in high range hydro gear with moderately heavy loads causes the injectors to pump more juice. It doesn't burn clean with that load/RPM combination because your not in the optimum torque curve, resulting in a carbon like build-up. If you then go into a high load application and let her rip, it cleans itself out, giving off excessive exhaust emissions for a short time.

Kinda like starting out in 2nd or 3rd gear with a stick shift and shifting up before the engine is ready and driving in city traffic at 25 mph in high gear.

The opposite is also true with regard to the sweet spot in diesels, not necessarily true on tractors but on trucks. One of my neighbors tested mileage on his F350 and found that between 55 & 65 MPH with highway driving he got 20-21 mpg. If he ran the same roads but at 70 it dropped to 18 mpg. I have another friend with a F350 that routinely drives to Traverse city towing a 4 place snowmobile trailer and complains about getting 14-16 mpg. He admits to running 85MPH on I-75 with it. He knows running slower would help but wants to keep up with traffic. Since he is a farmer, we allow him to complain. No offense against farmers, but they never seem to be very happy. ....

Power issue with TC33D

View my Photos
StephenR

2004-07-14          90874

The "sweet spot" for gas engines, as far as gas milage goes, is the net torque rpm. I assume it's the same for diesels. ....

Power issue with TC33D

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-07-14          90879

Yooper... I understood and agreed with your point. I was addressing the question of limiting an engine to 2100 RPM when the governor is set for 2800 RPM. ....

Power issue with TC33D

View my Photos
bluetay

2004-07-14          90922

I was led to believe that the NH engine in the CT did not have sleeves in them which seriously limited performance,i.e.torque curve etc.is this true? If so is the original question an example of these changes? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login