Go Bottom Go Bottom

Hard Jerky rear lift

View my Photos
rjones
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-05-09          85622

I’ve searched through quite a few posts & haven’t seen this problem posted. If it has been, & I’ve just overlooked it, I apologize.
I bought a boomer tc33d last July. It has fel & backhoe. I also bought a boxblade w/it. Since my grandkids & I only use it for “playing” I have not really put it to the test. I did take the backhoe off a couple of times, “just for fun.” Putting it back on wasn’t so much fun, so I just leave the backhoe on.
I’m preparing a drive to pour concrete, so I need to use the boxblade. I pulled the backhoe off, hooked the boxblade on & tried to level the ground for driveway. Now the problem: the blade lever is VERY hard to move up or down. I sprayed the obvious parts w/wd40 hoping it would loosen it up a bit - didn’t work. I’ve used boxblades before & was used to the lift lever being smooth & working pretty “delicately.” Not so on this one. Not only is the lever hard to raise/lower, the blade is very “jerky.”(blade picks up 5 or 6 inches at a time). It’s almost impossible to fine grade with it.
IS there something obvious that I’m doing/not doing that would cause this? Is there some setting on the tractor that would allow lift to work more smoothly, or to allow it to work more easily? (It takes a lot of muscle to lift/lower the lift lever.) .....other than trading it for another brand (just kidding, just kidding) is there Anything I can do to ease the operation?????
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Hard Jerky rear lift

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-05-10          85632

You have a flow control valve for the 3ph. Check that and your hyd oil level. ....

Hard Jerky rear lift

View my Photos
wigglybridge
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-05-10          85655

I have pretty much the same problem with my JD 4110. Not so stiff to move the lever, but very jerky motion. Fluid level is fine. I've adjusted the control that's supposed to affect how fast it moves, but it seems to have 2 positions: off and on. On is several rotations of the knob, then off happens in less than 15 degrees further turn.

What are we *both* missing? ....

Hard Jerky rear lift

View my Photos
rjones

2004-05-10          85697

******WARNING********* THE FOLLOWING RANT IS FROM ONE FRUSTRATED NEW HOLLAND OWNER.
1) i know why they changed the name from ford to new holland. answer: because it's not worthy of the ford name stenciled on it.
i used a number of ford tractors with boxblades for quite a few years, so, i might be old, but I Ain't No Novice. i know how to use a blade, how the lift should work. this one works like "crap" (don't know how Plain i can get on this board, but believe me, what i'm saying is only scratching the surface of what i'm thinking!!!)
the lever needs two strong men & a mule to move it when you drop the blade. i'm just not strong enough to pull it back enough to lift the blade. i've put lightweight oil & sprayed wd40 on every connection i could see, but it didn't help at all.
the mechanic that sent a machine out to a customer with a lift like this should be forced to raise & lower lift for 10,000 times! And, then, his pay should be cut to minimum until he realizes that he has some responsibility to the customer.
i'm just so aggravated right now because i just came back in from trying to work on ThiS Piece Of Junk again! AAARRRGGGGG
i just bought this unit to play with but if i had to have it to work with, i've have to take it SomeWhere to have it worked on. - oh well, i'll just use the loader & level it the best i can (btw, i can't adjust the pressure on it & it won't pick up a sick mule, so, i'll just use it as a front blade)
if you ever buy a tractor, buy locally; know the guy well, be Godfather to his children; send him presents every holiday; vote for him for county council. And be sure to mow his lawn every saturday so if you have a problem with your tractor, you'll have SomeBody to HELP YOU>
i'm of a good mind to take insurance on it & drive it off a cliff (of course, if i had the blade down, i couldn't pick it up enough to get off the edge of the cliff & i'd just get stuck...again) ....

Hard Jerky rear lift

View my Photos
TomG

2004-05-11          85742

I'd first listen for a relief valve squeal when the tractor is running and no hydraulics are operating. Then I'd try lifting light loads with both the 3ph and loader and listen for a relief valve. A good relief valve will open under high loads or obstructed hydraulics. In such a case the tractor shouldn't be operated for very long at a time until the problem is found.

If the relief isn't opening, you could disconnect the 3ph linkage and try to move the valve control arm by hand. It should move fairly easily. If it does, then the problem is likely the linkage. Many have a friction adjustment at the pivot point on the quadrant lever. If that's the stiffness problem and it's a new tractor it should have been adjusted during dealer setup. If the control arm doesn't move easily when the linkage is disconnected than a bad control valve is likely.

The stiffness and weak jerky 3ph and loader movements may be separate problems. It may be good to cure the stiffness first. ....

Hard Jerky rear lift

View my Photos
rjones

2004-05-11          85769

TomG,
thank you Very Much for an intelligent, informative, post. man, i wish you lived close by ~grin~! i'm going to try your recommendations right now. again, Thanks

rjones ....

Hard Jerky rear lift

View my Photos
Murf

2004-05-11          85773

RJones, I don't recall if you said the lever was like that from new, but we had a minor problem with some of our Kubota's that was similar.

In our case the lever connects to a small shaft with a threaded end that protrudes from the rear housing. There is a double nut locking system and a fibre washer to adjust tension and what was apparently happening was the vibration would allow the locknut to loosen which in turn allowed the first nut to back off then the weight of the lever would make it fall over dropping the 3pth to the bottom of it's travel.

The solution was to merely re-adjust the tension nut and lever, then a little dab of LockTite to keep the locknut in place. They never had to be touched after that.

Best of luck. ....

Hard Jerky rear lift

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-05-11          85779

Wiggles: that adjustment knob requires a slightly different setting for every different implement, and I do mean slight.

When I had my 4100 Gear, I found it better to stand beside the tractor and adjust the rate of drop for the implement I was using that day. It was much easier to see what was going on and make fine tuning type adjustments standing on the right side of the tractor.

The 4100/4110 has a very powerful three point lift. It can easily lift the weight of the tractor, so when it came time to lift the implement, I learned that it was far less "enthusiastic" at lower throttle settings.

Hard Jerky rear lift

View my Photos
oneace

2004-05-11          85810

First did you buy it new? Second Do you have the power beyond hose properly connected? If you remove your right rear tire you can easily access the linkage. If you are at all mechanically inclined you can remove the whole valve assy. be takeing out the 12 or so 10mm head bolts but be careful there is a spring and rod that must be disconnected in side the housing. Once removed try to find where it is binding. But first Try disconnecting the lever from the valve nd see if it is still hard to move if it is then it is in the linkage not the valve. My theory is that since you have a back hoe you do not use the 3pt very often and it my have oxidation in the joints. ....

Hard Jerky rear lift

View my Photos
rjones

2004-05-11          85816

first, let me explain. my mind still functions "fairly well" but disease has robbed my body of much of it's ability. e.g., the last time i changed the backhoe, it took 4 hours to plug the hydraulic line back up (and a 12 year old kid could have done it in a minute)... that being said.
i took the linkage bolt loose (it moves freely). there is a shaft going into the side of the block & it has a nut on it with a cotter pin through it. i THINK, if i could get the cotter pin out, & back the tension off just a tad, it would fix my problem. i just Can't get the cotter pin out!!!
tomorrow, i plan to try to get one of my neighbors to help me & maybe take the rear tire off so i can get to the cotter pin.(a good mechanic could solve this problem in 5 minutes, but, i'm no longer a good mechanic. Wheeeeeeeee)
thanks for all your input. you guys are "right on" on your diagnosis .....now if some of you just lived closer. Heee Heee ....

Hard Jerky rear lift

View my Photos
oneace

2004-05-12          85886

where are you at? ....

Hard Jerky rear lift

View my Photos
rjones

2004-05-12          85911

eastern south carolina ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This