Go Bottom Go Bottom

Engine Block Water Leak

View my Photos
StephenR
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-09          79384

My 1999 TC33D has a anti-freeze leak at the engine block drain fitting (right side). NH service told me that I need to cut a channel into a 1 1/16'' deep socket, in order to clear the fitting's elbow, to remove the fitting. Is there a better way? Another tool? Can I use a 4" cutting wheel to cut the hardened steel? Thanks in advance.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Engine Block Water Leak

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-09          79385

Have you tried just opening and shutting the drain valve a few times while the engine is hot to flush any crud out of the valve? Might work; you just might luck out. ....

Engine Block Water Leak

View my Photos
StephenR

2004-03-09          79388

It's not really a valve. It's a big nut with a 1/4'', 45 degree elbow coming off of it to a low point on the tractor where it meets a two input drain valve. The other end is connected to the radiator. The leak appears to be coming from the threads. It looks like it needs to be re-tefloned. It's so tight in there. I took the dip stick out and looks like I would need to take the oil filter off. The oil doesn't need to be changed, that's when I called the dealer. ....

Engine Block Water Leak

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-03-09          79400

Stephan
I have 2 of those (handy tools)! LOL Buy either a buffalo set of sockets and butcher one up or just buy One socket from sears. Pay for the shipping and I would send you one free since I really only need 1. Let me know I could get it out on Wed. afternoon to you, I could send it to ya and you could send back the stamp cost at the postal service.. (no handling charge of course! LOL) just the postage.
Brokenarrow ....

Engine Block Water Leak

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-03-10          79403

StephenR; Don't know if you're familliar with "Crowfoot" wrenches, they're simply an open end wrench without a handle. They have a square hole that fits a 3/8 or 1/2 in common socket extension depending on the size of the wrench right near the base of the wrench. They are meant for close quarter hard to reach things like you mention. There biggest drawback is that you're not surrounding the fitting, or nut what ever your working on like a regular socket will with contact points, just two sides of it like any common open end wrench, so if the fitting is too tight and you pull too hard they will "Dub" over the corners on the fitting, then it's back to the head scratching stage again. Others may have better solutions, so see what they have to say too. Frank. ....

Engine Block Water Leak

View my Photos
StephenR

2004-03-10          79410

Brokenarrow,
So you've cut a deep socket before? Will my 4" grinder with a cutting disk work ok? ....

Engine Block Water Leak

View my Photos
BillMullens

2004-03-10          79411

The angle grinder with metal grinding wheel or cutting wheel will cut the socket.
You might find an oxygen sensor socket in that size. They resemble a deep-well socket with about 1/4 of the socket wall cut away.
Bill ....

Engine Block Water Leak

View my Photos
StephenR

2004-03-10          79417

Bill,
Any suggestions where to look for an oxygen sensor socket?
-Steve ....

Engine Block Water Leak

View my Photos
TomG

2004-03-10          79424

I'm prety sure there's a discussion of this exact problem as well as the solution somewhere in the archives. Saying that's easy but finding it may not be so easy. ....

Engine Block Water Leak

View my Photos
BillMullens

2004-03-10          79468

I got one at the local Advance Auto store; they are usually hanging out where you can look at them so you can see if they have the right size.
NAPA or any other auto supply store should have them.

Probably be cheaper (but more work) to find a regular socket and cut it.

Good luck,
Bill ....

Engine Block Water Leak

View my Photos
nhrockcrusher

2004-03-10          79498

My 1996 1715 FWD is leaking from the same place. Please post what you did to correct the problem. My leak isn't too bad but it is getting to the point where I am going to need to do something about it before I lose alot of coolant in a short amount of time. ....

Engine Block Water Leak

View my Photos
StephenR

2004-03-11          79561

nhrc,
Will do. I might get to it this weekend. I'm hoping just to put teflon on the threads. But then again, I'm doing it so I'll probably wind up needing an engine overhaul. ;^) ....

Engine Block Water Leak

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-03-13          79786

Stephan R.
lukawski at sbcglobal.net email me your address and I will mail you one (this one is on me!) I love this country too Buddy! (the (at) is really the backwards A but they dont let you put that symbol here on the board.
BrokenArrow ....

Engine Block Water Leak

View my Photos
StephenR

2004-03-15          79960

BrokenArrow,
Thanks for the offer but I already have the socket and I need to get this done, possibly tonight. I'll save that offer for the future. ;^) ....

Engine Block Water Leak

View my Photos
StephenR

2004-04-06          82293

nhrc,
I finally got to fixing the leak. I bought a 12 pt., 1 1/16" deep socket. Cut 2 points out, removed the fitting and teflon taped the threads. So far no leaks. There wasn't any type of sealer on the threads so that probably was the problem.
New Hollands I believe are metric, but the service tech told me to get the 1 1/16" socket. It was a little loose but that could have been because I tried a crescent wrench at first.
An added note. I needed to remove the fuel filter and dipstick for more room. My TC33D has an electronic fuel cut off which I accidentally disconnected. The wire and unit are behind some plumbing. Needless to say, bleeding the fuel became a composition of adult language and battery charging that almost ruined a Saturday night. Fortunately, there's beer. ....

Engine Block Water Leak

View my Photos
nhrockcrusher

2004-04-06          82337

Thanks for the reply StephenR. My leak is getting a bit worse and is going to need attention. Glad to hear it wasn't too bad of a job. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login