Go Bottom Go Bottom

HST vs Manual and size of tractor

View my Photos
raynman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-29          72548

Hi all, I'm new to this stuff and looking for some help with a few questions regarding tractors.

HST vs Manual, which is best for plowing fields, FEL work, I have 15 acres and will be planting around 3-4 acres, very sandy soil in mid Michigan.

Next question, size of tractor, I like the NH TC33D and the JD 4410, I haven't looked at orange yet but will soon. I have a friend that keeps telling me that I need at least the JD4510, he is partial to green paint. I like the NH the best but still have some investigating.

Any opinions?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
shortmagnum
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-29          72550

Raynman,
Most everyone here seems partial to the hydro transmission. I still like my shuttle shift. Our soil in northern Wisconsin is also very sandy and easy to plow. My old Ford 9N has no problem pulling a two bottom plow so I would doubt that you would NEED the horsepower of even the 4410. However, depending on the type and amount of work you have for the FEL, you might like the higher horsepower of the two you're interested in. Don't forget to look at orange. :-) ....

View my Photos
wallac
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-12-29          72552

Manual is direct drive- more hp. to the ground. Hst. is ran thru the pumps less hp. to the ground with the equal hp. rating of the same tractor ....

View my Photos
wallac

2003-12-29          72554

Don't just set you eyes on the big guy colors. Venture out into the other tractor markets as well. If nothing for nothing at least you gained some more info on whats out there. Check out the MAHINDRA and KIOTI lines. ....

View my Photos
plots1

2003-12-29          72556

Hydro will surely be the best for loader work,faster and more user friendly, but for ground breaking gear would be the way to go. sounds like your going to be doing more ground then loader work so I'm thinking gear would be the good choice. ( That's my opion. ) Also the more weight and HP seem to go good for ground breaking. ....

View my Photos
raynman

2003-12-29          72558

Thanks for the info, I do plan on venturing out of the big 3 and looking at others.
I won't be buying for a few months so I have time and just want to get as much info as possible.

View my Photos
earthwrks

2003-12-30          72703

I have a NH 33D HST and love it. I use it commercially. HST compared to manual as far as getting the job done quickly HST is about 30% quicker--no shifting especially nice when doing a lot of backing for loader work. The ability to inch forward/backward under power is better too. Also, with the TC-"D"- series you get an electro/ mechanical cruise control which is really nice for mowing and plowing. I'm in SE Michigan and I can pull a 6' box scraper with rippers down or an old JD two-bottom plow through solid clay. Also look into and test drive NH's Super Steer---a must-have! For more traction for plowing I wish I had agricultural tires versus the industrial tires. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-12-30          72727

The 4310 and 4610 are the best value buys of the 4000 Ten Series CUT's. Most bang for the buck. For plowing the gear shift trans is best. For FEL work the ehydro. The ehydro can do both and has other advantages such as fine creeper applications and great ease of fine accurate movement for much easier hook ups. Get the eHydro, you will be very happy with it. If you are wanting to save some money or want a good middle ground between ehydro and straight gear shift. Get the ePowerReverser. The 990 is also a good choice if you want a more basic tractor with less bells and whistles but still a great tractor. Which ever you decide, get 4WD. You will be VERY glad you did. Helps with 4 wheel braking, traction in muck, as well as FEL work. ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-12-31          72782

I like my 12 X 12 synchro tranny with shuttle shift. The forward and reverse lever is right under the left side of the steering wheel and it is quick to shift. You have four speeds available under the steering wheel on the right hand side which can be shifted on the move. This is significantly different than the older manual transmissions that required a full stop and going through shift "gates" to reach reverse.

I do more loader work than anything else. For me the shuttle shift tranny made the difference in the manual/hst argument. I did not like the NH HST at the time, although I checked out a new one recently and it seems to be laid out better and is probably a fine choice now. But, I don't regret my choice of the shuttle shift manual tranny for even a second. ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2003-12-31          72785

I agree with AC on the shuttle shift. I have no doubt that if you put two guys with little experience on the two tractors that you would probably see that 30% efficiency advantage with the hydro when using the loader. But that advantage will be much less (if any) when comparing two really experienced guys.
Dave ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-12-31          72794

If you think about it most fork lifts are shuttle shifts so loading is not really the problems or real advantage. I think mowing where it is advantagous or plowing where tight control and speed adjustments are required it is advantagous. Why does someone like Murf with a fleet of tractors and experienced operators supply HST? Running forward and back loading I see slight advantages for straight gear with HST and Shuttle. But really a toss with HST ans Shuttle. ....

View my Photos
DK35vince

2003-12-31          72799

HST's are nice but I'm quite happy with my sycro-shuttle !!
I had straight gear transmission (stop to shift and only 2 reverse gears)in my previous tractor.
The sycro-shuttle I now have is far,far nicer to operate. ....

View my Photos
raynman

2004-01-04          73013

Thanks all for the info, this is what I have found so far,

JD 4510 with FEL $23K
Kubota L4330 with FEL $22.5K
NH TC40D with FEL $19.2K

I think I'm going to go with the NH, and I'll buy some implements with the extra $$ saved. (Budget $22K)

I have talked with a lot of people up north in the past few weeks and everyone is telling me the same thing to go with the Manual for plowing. ....

View my Photos
sbremm

2004-03-04          78834

I guess the hydros are nice, but I am very happy with my shuttle shift. I used the money I saved by not getting the hydro to get an attachment or 2

Stephen ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-03-04          78841

The good part about the hydro is when loading the bucket it is like a auto transmission with a torque converter for feeling the load against the tractor where it is harder to feel then the gear drive. I'd be looking at the L-3830 for a bargin of what I see here priced in the forty horsepower range. ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-03-05          78958

Shhhh,, My new truck I bought has crank up windows, no cd or casset, no power seats no cruise controll rubber floor (no carpeting) "best thing I ever decided not to have" . etc. Gee which trany do you think I bought? Hmmm.
We just got about anouther foot of snow and my tractor is 3 weeks away! LOL. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login