Go Bottom Go Bottom

front axle problems

View my Photos
drcjv.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-10-08          65793

Lately there has been several mentions of a problem or weakness in the TC33D front axle. Has anyone ever actually seen or heard of one breaking. I recently called and talked to five differant dealers and none have ever had one in service for an axle problem.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

front axle problems

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-10-08          65808

Hmm. I don't recall reading anywhere here about actual boomer front axle problems. I have read a few speculative type statements that supersteer front axles are weaker than non-SS axles, and that SS has more complexity so more can go wrong. But I can't recall anyone actually reporting a problem with TC33 front axles. Maybe it's my CRS? ....

front axle problems

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-10-08          65811

Ken brings up an interesting point.... between the lines.

It would make a certain amount of marketing sense not to have separate specs or a totally different loader for the theoretically weaker super-steer axle.

Maybe they de-tuned the loader specs to accommodate the weakest link in the chain. ....

front axle problems

View my Photos
drcjv.

2003-10-08          65817

Recently there has been discussion of the new style loader(14LA) and how it won't work on an old 33 but only on the new design coming out this year. Supposedly due to the front axle weakness. I have never heard of a failure nor have any of the dealers I have talked to. It must be a potential problem rather than one that has happened and NH is trying to avoid future problems. ....

front axle problems

View my Photos
BountyHunter

2003-10-08          65823

I do believe that someone posted a copy of a reply from New Holland that stated the new 14LA loader will retrofit to the current model tractor. On the same topic the conversations on this forum elude to the fact that the new style loader actually has more capacity than the previous version. ....

front axle problems

View my Photos
drcjv.

2003-10-08          65826

I thought NH said the new loader was not compatible with the current tractor that's why they are not being sold yet. ....

front axle problems

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-10-08          65829

Somebody posted an email response from NH quite awhile ago (6-9 mos probably) that said the new loaders weren't compatible with the current TC33 models. I don't remember if that was here or on another board. ....

front axle problems

View my Photos
cutter

2003-10-08          65836

Only thing I recall reading was about someone breaking a front axle, but It had to do with a sudden drop with a fully loaded bucket. Can't even remember if it was on this board. ....

front axle problems

View my Photos
Justus
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-10-09          65878

I've been on the phone with New Holland this past week(Lincoln) and have been told that the new 14LA loader would NOT fit my TC 33D. The 14LA will fit the new TC 33DA which has a beefier axle. I was very disappointed.
I ordered a 7308 FEL and hope I'm happy with it. The thing that bothers me is it makes me feel that either my tractor isn't what it should be or the new 14LA is a lot better than the 7308, which they don't exactly give away. ....

front axle problems

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-10-09          65879

I'm sure you'll be happy with the 7308 - there aren't many complaints about them. When the loader is installed you might ask the dealer to check the hydraulic pressure and verify that it's adjusted correctly at the relief valve. There have been reports from NH owners that valves have been incorrectly adjusted at the factory, causing the loader capacity to be reduced accordingly. You want to be able to get full use from your expensive new loader. ....

front axle problems

View my Photos
Justus

2003-10-09          65883

Thanks kwschumm, I'll let them know about the relief valve pressure. They're picking my tractor up on the 27th of this month and will deliver it the next day. ....

front axle problems

View my Photos
TomG

2003-10-10          65925

Well, if there are concerns about front axle strength (and I haven't heard of any failures myself) then turning up the relief pressure isn't what you want do to. I think I'd rather take it as it comes, see if it will handle the work it's going to do and then have it adjusted to spec as part of a warranty servicing if necessary. If you're new to tractors it might be good to avoid working with full spec loads until after some experience with lighter work first anyway.

It might be good to ask for a pressure test so you know what the relief pressure is. I think if you know that a simple screw driver adjustment (one turn equals a known pressure increase) gets you close enough so you could turn up the pressure yourself without a pressure gage if you really have to lift something heavy. The dealer might have something to say about that idea though.

front axle problems

View my Photos
Justus

2003-10-10          65947

Tom, I read the thread on turning up the pressure for the valve(s) on the 7308. I'll be happy if it just does what it's supposed to do. Other than moving about 40 tons of dirt and rock that's in my yard from a previously dug foundation, the hardest thing it will do is move the occasional pile of snow and normal yard work. Of course I don't know what any of the neighbors have in store for me yet. I will ask the dealer to check the pressures. Of course, as someone said, if he actually does or not, I probably won't even know.
I am relatively new to tractors. I'm no mechanic but do my own maintenance and consider my self a "Jack Ass" of all trades. That means I know just enough to get me into trouble and that's one of the reasons I joined this board; so that I can gather info from those more knowledgeable than myself. As always, thanks for the input ....

front axle problems

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-10-10          65953

I didn't mean to imply, and don't think I said, that your dealer should crank up the pressure beyond factory specs. There were reports by some guys that they were getting about half the lift capacity that it was rated for, and the cause was an incorrectly adjusted relief valve. ....

front axle problems

View my Photos
drcjv.

2003-10-10          65954

Justus I would wait until you get your tractor then have the dealer check the pressures at your home. This way you know it was done and you can see the gauge with your own eyes. That is what I did so I know exactly where mine is set. ....

front axle problems

View my Photos
Justus

2003-10-10          65955

I didn't take your post to mean to turn up the pressure, kwschumm. Like I said, any input is appreciated.

front axle problems

View my Photos
Justus

2003-10-10          65957

Doc, I grew up with the guy that pretty much handles the sales and logistics at my NH dealership. He's a good guy but the bottom line is he's a salesman and he works for someone else. He may always have my best interest at heart but there's this distrust I have for salesmen, especially when it comes to anything with an engine in it. Perhaps it's a psychological problem on my part. What I may do is request that I be present at the dealership when they do the check. That way they can't cry about the cost of sending someone up here. ....

front axle problems

View my Photos
drcjv.

2003-10-10          65974

Justus if you can be present that's great my dealer has been great to me and has come out any time I ask. Even if it was only for my piece of mind. It is a real shame all dealers are not like this one. I think it is real important to have a good relationship with the sercvice dept at your dealer. You should be pleased with your 7308 I cannot say a bad word about mine as well as my TC33D. Now I am looking at a hoe for it. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login