Go Bottom Go Bottom

Installing block heater

View my Photos
ackley280
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-09-23          64630

Picked up a block heater from my TC33D. I have to pull one of the freeze plugs to install it. Anybody had any experience with this that could give me some pointers on getting the plug out?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Installing block heater

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-09-23          64633

Last time I did one (on a gas engine) there was a lot of prying, puncturing and a few bad words. It came out in pieces but it did come out.

They are much easier to install than they are to remove.

Might actually be a bit easier on a tractor because of the removable access panels on the engine.

I would start with a sharpened flat screwdriver to punch a keyhole to pry with later. If it starts to recede into the block you may have to resort to a drill and maybe a big self tapping sheet metal screw that you can then use to extract the plug. ....

Installing block heater

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-09-23          64647

I'd say what Mark told you is about right but here's a couple of little notes to go with to. Look at the block and find a drain plug for coolant, do this when engine is cold so not to get burned. Make sure when you insert the heater that it is not against the engine block on the inside. ....

Installing block heater

View my Photos
drcjv.

2003-09-23          64657

I put one in my TC33D last winter it took about 15min the directions were very good. The hardest thing was routing the plug wire so it did not get tangled. I pulled the plug out with a screwdriver and a needle nose plier. ....

Installing block heater

View my Photos
ackley280

2003-09-24          64724

Thanks for the hints. I'll undertake the project in a few days. ....

Installing block heater

View my Photos
ackley280

2003-09-27          64961

Freeze plugs came out fine and installation was a snap. 15 minutes tops. ....

Installing block heater

View my Photos
TomG

2003-09-27          64965

Nothing like an easy job that turns out to really be easy. I've ruined 'easy' enough times to know the good feeling.

When using the heater, if it's going to be run from a GFI outlet, it's good to monitor it a few times. Mine has popped a before, which is another way to ruin 'easy.' Fortunately, my Ford doesn't really need a block heater most of the time and then it really only needs a couple hours of it. I use it mostly because I think it's better for the engine. As near as I can figure, when the GFI has popped, it's likely due to slush with highway salt in it or something conductive laying against the tractor. My wife popped the GFI for her car's heater by parking with the bumper in some snow. ....

Installing block heater

View my Photos
Chief

2003-09-27          64969

That block heater is REAL nice when even if it is not that cold. I plug my Cummins in an hour or two before I start it and it eliminates the the cycling of the intake grid heaters and oil pressure does not remain so high for as long due to the fast warm up. It is just alot easier on the entire system from the batteries on to the engine. Not to mention that the operator gets heat alot faster too. ....

Installing block heater

View my Photos
hoyboy

2003-09-27          64991

I used to work for a company that makes block heaters. Most of them ar 600 watts & like Art said, you don't want the element to touch the block because it reduces the heat transfer to the coolant and can cause leaks because of the heater not being seated correctly. The best way to get a core plug out is to go to one "side" of the circle and pound it in so the plug spins like a globe. they you ca grab it with a pair of pliers or channellocks and pull it right out ....

Installing block heater

View my Photos
stevenc

2003-10-15          66332

there is a magnet one that works well,,If I remember correctly,I was tolk it is about $60.00,,I didnt need it last winter,,and it wes BURR cold ....

Installing block heater

View my Photos
Chief

2003-10-15          66346

I bought one of those magnetic type block heaters that sticks onto the oil pan. The one I got is 250 watts. It helps to thin out the oil a bit but did not warm up the engine block much. I got mine at TSC for about $20. ....

Installing block heater

View my Photos
TomG

2003-10-16          66359

A second to Chief's comment: Warm cylinder walls is what helps starting, as well as thin oil so the starter spins faster. Magnetic heaters only thin the oil, which isn't really necessary since synthetics and good multi-grade oils became available. In addition, using a large magnetic oil pan heater may degrade the oil if it puts too much heat in too small an area, but maybe somebody knows if this really is an issue.

I have two magnetic heaters and I use them when it's really cold on my TX. They might help a little even though I use multi-season hydraulic oil. The oil is the main thing and the heaters probably don't get a lot of heat through the cases but I persist using them on extreme days. Those days I also start with the clutch down so the starter isn't spinning the TX. It had been so cold that even with multi-season hydraulic oil the loader starts out working normally but after 15 minutes or so oil in the cylinders chills and the loader bucket lowers in slow motion in float until more warm oil from the TX gets in the cylinders. ....

Installing block heater

View my Photos
TomG

2003-10-16          66360

Guess I should add that on my extreme days a battery blanket and a night on a trickle charger help starting. A warm battery will spin the starter faster. ....

Installing block heater

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-10-16          66363

All of the magnetic heaters I have used have been thermostatically controlled to 300-350 degrees F. That is a couple hundred degrees cooler than the oil might get in certain engine parts on a hot day.

Based on that I have never worried about the magnetic heater cooking the oil.

Like Tom I have had many occasions where a cold, idling engine will not turn the transmission in neutral. All you can do when it is that cold is sit there with your foot on the clutch until the engine warms up. ....

Installing block heater

View my Photos
TomG

2003-10-17          66401

Thermostatically controlled ones seems like a good idea. I didn't know they were available but we've only got the junk from one box store for that sort of item available around here. It's probably not an issue for me since I use mine on the cases but I still would have gone for ones with thermostats if I knew I had a choice.

I am careful where I sit mine after they've been used until they cool down. I fried a cord on a drop-light once. Could have been interesting if it was plugged in. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login