Go Bottom Go Bottom

Which tractor Dilema

View my Photos
Steven Arentz
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-03-01          50325

Hi fellow tractor enthusiast's
I apologize ahead of time for this long post!
We live in southern Pa,close to Md. boarder and have 1 acre of uneven rolling hill, ground surrounding house. We live approx. 1/4 mile back a dirt/gravel driveway that is uphill from the main road. Our neighbor owns the driveway and has a backhoe which he uses to maintain the drive. We have deeded right of way and help out with brush trimming,ditch mainenance, etc.. using a weedeater,shovel,..... the ole hand method! LOL anyway.... I would like to help out more, but with less blisters and sore back!! LOL
My wife and I have plans on purchasing a small farmette (under 25 acres) in the future and want a tractor that would be applicable for present and future usages. I have been reading this post for the past year and have gained invaluable info' however, I am undecided on WHICH TRACTOR, the tc33 or tc40. We (I have to say we, cuz if the wife ain't happy, then it takes the joy out of tractoring real fast!!!!!!!) are looking at SuperSteer,deluxe package,loader,rear finish mower. I have read many other similar questions and apologize for the repeat question, but could use some help. We don't have the problem with standing water on our property, do you think the tc40 would be too heavy? leaning towards using industrial tires, and leaving the loader on most of the time,we don't have to many trees to mow around. also would like deluxe package with gears, am afraid that hydro would not be powerful enough. any help from hydro owners would be appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Which tractor Dilema

View my Photos
drcjv.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-03-02          50380

Just a few thoughts which I'm sure someone will give an equally valid and opposite oppinion on. I also live in south (eastern) PA and have a TC33D hydro industrial tires and 7308 loader. After looking and listening for some time I purchased the above tractor.

1.If you do alot of loader work hydro is much faster and easier than gears.(try both and decide)
2.Supersteer is unmatched for mowing around trees ect. but loader capacity is decreased and don't forget that the increased steering ability is amplified at the end of the loader making it very touchy.(drive one with both and decide for your self.)also 4wd is automatically disengaged when ss is used.
3.Size of the tractor can be important depending where it will be stored, height of doors ect.
4.If you plan on digging a tooth bar is very helpful.
5.weighted tires and a ballast box makes heavy loader work much easier.
6.The block heater has been very handy with this bad winter.
My tractor has worked flawlessly for the past year and I am very happy with it. Good luck with whatever you buy.
PS don't forget the TC35-45 fan problem. ....

Which tractor Dilema

View my Photos
AC5ZO
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-03-03          50428

I agree with most of the previous post. I do like my 12 speed Shuttle Manual transmission with my loader. This has a forward and reverse lever next to the steering wheel and is fast for direction changes. I grew up on a farm with manual transmissions and just wanted that in my new tractor. A hydro without SS cannot be encouraged to steer with the foot brakes, so if you go hydro, then I would recommend SS. (Right brake requires taking foot off of hydro pedal and releases the speed control if locked)

I would think that the TC 33D would be good for what you describe. I bought a bigger tractor myself because I needed more loader capacity and backhoe capacity. I have not seen the fan interference problem on my TC45 as mentioned above.

Which tractor Dilema

View my Photos
JackHerr

2003-03-03          50434

Steven,
I am from SE PA as well. I have driven both the TC33 & TC40. As much as I would love the TC40, the TC33 would work better for mowing the slopes of the retention basin. (A retention basin holds rainwater to keep the Chesapeake Bay clean.) A TC40 felt like I would be sitting too high for safe operation, even though its extra weight would make it more stable.
By the way, I long for SuperSteer. It would be IDEAL for my needs.
If you decide that you don't need SuperSteer, check out the Case IH DX-series tractors. They are the red clones of the New Hollands. The Case IH tractors are virtually identical to the blue ones, except they do not offer SuperSteer, which is a New Holland exclusive. ....

Which tractor Dilema

View my Photos
Tom Kopf

2003-03-06          50646

I bought a TC40D with SS,loader,HD bucket,hydro,loaded R4s,and a block heater about 2 years ago.I've got 50 acres of mostly woods. I wouldn't change a thing. Didn't go for the 45 because if I ever need a mid PTO I can get one. It's never been too heavy, and I've used all it's HP a few times. I've pulled stumps and carried loads with the bucket edge and I've never had the fan hit the shroud. (I think that is on 35s with the huge fan extension.) Hydro is the only way I'd ever go. I love backing up a slope with a rear implement and not have to balance clutch,gears,pto. With this you let off the pedal on the hill and it stands still. The SS is the greatest! No extra wear issues or weak link. I can get through the woods with the loader on like I'm driving a ZTR mower. I will own this machine the rest of my life. Now go buy one! ....

Which tractor Dilema

View my Photos
Tom Kopf

2003-03-07          50683

Go look at he recent post titled "TC29D with NH loader". I think he speaks volumes about SS. It's cheaper to get it the first time. ....

Which tractor Dilema

View my Photos
Steven Arentz

2003-03-13          51114

I kindly thank you gentlemen for your replies. My wife and I have been to a local NH dealer and drove 6 different tractors. A tc30,tc33hydro,tc33hydro with SS,tc35 hydro with ss,tc 40 with hydro,and tc45 gear. We both immediately agreed that SS was a must to have. We both favor the hydro. I like the hydro and brake pedals set up better on the tc 40. On the tc 33 the hydro and brake pedal were on the same side. I am not sure how awkward that would be?? Is there anyone who has that tractor who would be able to give an opinion. We had a salesman come out to our property, he feels that a tc40 would not be too much weight to finish mow an acre around the house. For right now with our current situation I feel that a tc33 would work fine,however we only intend on buying one tractor and want to be sure that it will be just as suitable for any future property prospects. of course there is the money issue and pricing difference.
PLEASE HELP!!!!
Tom, would you mind giving us more specifics about what you use your tc40 for? do you do any finish mowing? do you leave tracks in the yard with your R4's? do you leave your loader on all the time? etc....
This is a big decision, don't want to buy too small, or buy only based on money,and after using it for a few months then wish for bigger. Neither do we want to buy too large and find that navigagion around the house, etc.. is too awkward.
Here are the 2 tractors:
tc40D w/filled ind. tires,SS,1 remote,rear worklight,HN 17la w/grille guard,Q-attach 72" bucket,bradco 48" pallet forks,rhino fm72"finish mower,3 hooks welded on bucket, 23,350 plus tax.

tc33D hydro w/ NH7303 quick attach 68" HD bucket plus same other stuff as above for 19,850 plus tax

how does this pricing sound ?? ....

Which tractor Dilema

View my Photos
Tom Kopf

2003-03-14          51121

Good morning Steve,
I'll try to answer your all your questions. I have not finish mowed with mine yet. I do finish mow at another property with a 25 HP tractor, and going by that I don't think that I would have a problem doing it with the 40. I do about an acre around my house and down by my ponds with a ZTR mower. I don't think that even the 33 that you are looking at can do as close of a job as a dedicated mowing machine can. I'm sure the salesman would tell you that a 100 HP tractor would work fine if he could find a mower to fit.(more $$$ for him.) I have only taken my loader off twice, and that was just for the sake of doing it. With loaded R4s and the loader on, I have only chewed up the lawn when I was being stupid.(Lawn was too wet) The SS and the automatic 4WD clutches really help here. I use mine for all kinds of chores. I sometimes pull a full size industrial chipper through the woods and mud. A smaller tractor could not do what I've asked of this machine. I went through the same process as you have and 200 hours and 2 years later I am sure that I bought the machine that I will be satisfied with for the rest of my life. If you'd like, you can email me direct and I can finish talking you into it over the phone. ....

Which tractor Dilema

View my Photos
BeeFarmer

2003-03-14          51128

Steve, I think I can help you... I have 15ac that is comprised of pasture, woods, orchard and about 3 ac of land around the house to mow. Also about a 2 ac pond to go around. I tested the TC33D, TC35D, and the TC40D all with HYDRO and SS. Didn't test the TC45 as there wasn't a mmm available.

The TC35 just didn't seem to have the HP for the larger frame.

The TC40 was GREAT, however for mowing the yard the large frame didn't work well around all the trees. Although, flat out on the pasture it is great pulling a 6ft rotory cutter. The bucket power was also good.

The TC33 was also GREAT, it mowed around the trees and the house with a rear discharge mmm worked with ease as you don't have to worry which way the grass is being tossed out. I wouldn't be without the SS. Pulling a 6ft rotory cutter wasn't as strong as the 40 but I expected that. The cut on the grass with the mmm is also very good!! The 72 inch mmm make for a nice looking yard.

So... what did I pick... well I already have a JD 935 "like the ones they use on the Golf Courses" with a 72 inch front cutter .. So my yard really didn't need another grass cutter or did we??? Well, the final decision was the TC33D, because the of the overall ability to manuver around and assist my wife cut the grass. The TC40 would of been nice for the pasture for sure.. but overall around the farm and yard especially around the 150 fruit trees it was a match.

Which tractor Dilema

View my Photos
Steven Arentz

2003-03-18          51429

We had a dealer bring 2 tc35 out to our property tonight. One had supersteer, the other had a loader and 3pt mower. With the warm spell and all the melting snow, they did leave some tire marks (R4's). I was not surprised, I can take my farmall cub with ag. tires out and leave marks as well. My point being,if what we seen tonight is the most tracks that will be left, then I believe I can live with that. I would rather have the greater lift capacity of the tc40, than the lighter weight tc33. I should have had them bring out a tc33 as well. I'm quite sure that it would have also left some tracks at places as well. The difference in loader wt between the two is only 311 lbs, but there sure is a dramatic difference between the lifting lbs. Our property slopes down hill in the back and we realized quickly how nice it is to have brakes on the left. I feel that the hydro. on the tc33 would require some fast footwork between direction pedal and brake,then back to direction pedal. "If" we would go with a tc33 then I feel that it would be easier and safer to have gears. Would anyone care to give some feedback?? ....

Which tractor Dilema

View my Photos
Steven Arentz

2003-03-18          51430

I forgot to mention in my above posting, that I had to put the tc35 in low range rabbit mode with "lots" of throttle to pull itself with loader and 3pt 72 inch mower up the hill. High range stalled out,even in turtle mode. Forgive my usage of turtle and rabbit modes, not sure how to accurately describe the gear/range thing. I'm betting that the 4 cylinder and extra 5hp of the tc40 should make a world of difference. In case you were wondering, they didn't have any tc40 to bring out. they were all sold out, sold 3 of them last week. We are looking to buy within the next week, to take advantage of the 2.9% financing. ....

Which tractor Dilema

View my Photos
drcjv.

2003-03-19          51435

Steven, since you had 35s brought out and you got to try them at your own property it just makes sence to have a 33 out and see what you think instead of guessing. Your two concerns seem to be brakes and loader capacity. As far as loader capacity I have said many times on this board that after some tweeking of the valve on the loader, It lifted 2016lbs with no problems and I'm sure it would have lifted more but, I could'nt fit anything else in the bucket. With braking it is true that it would take some fancy foot work to use the brakes to steer but with the 33 I have not really ever found the need to use the brakes to steer and when you take your foot off the directional pedal the tractor stops on a dime. The only time I use the brake is when setting the parking brake. As far as hydro goes before the 33 I used an older Massey gear drive I thouht the tractor was great never thought twice about hdro or gears the thing did what I ask every time. Recently I was helping a friend who has a gear drive and man is the old story true you don't miss what you don't have until you have it. The tractor worked fine but took more time and effort. I would never go back to gears.

P.S I also have cubs (3) They are just garage queens now all retored and retired. ....

Which tractor Dilema

View my Photos
BeeFarmer

2003-03-19          51442

Steve, if you read my post again you will see that the 35 is very sluggish when loaded up with fel and mmm. I had the exact issue with it.. it just doesn't seem to have all the power. On the other hand the 40 was really nice... just too big for what I really needed around the home. I have been using my 33 the last week or so as the snow has finally melted here in Ohio. The ground is very soft and I have had to power wash my tractor as it has looked like a mud ball. I had geo thermal installed last fall and now am trying to clean up the area it was installed in the ground. I have many, many boulders to move and leveling to do. I have turf tires as I use my unit on the lawn a lot. Although.... I use it for the pasture and other areas.

The brakes are not an issue.... If you have concerns of using the brake for turning... Superstear takes care of that. If it is for stopping... with hydro just lift off of the pedal you will stop... I don't use the brake unless like the other poster said... is to put the parking on. To me the choice is simple... TC 40 or TC 33..... ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login