Go Bottom Go Bottom

pallet forks for 7308

View my Photos
KH
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-02-27          50160

Does anyone know of any manufactorors for the quick attach conversion system that allows the bucket and forks to be interchanged quickly.Besides Gearmore, as they're to spendy for their kit. Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

pallet forks for 7308

View my Photos
JackHerr

2003-02-27          50169

Gearmore offers two different systems. There is a skid steer compatible system (the spendy one) and a 7308 Pin-type system. The Pin-Type system uses a bracket that pins onto your loader in place of your bucket. New pins are installed in the top holes of your bucket and the forks. The quick attach hooks up to your bucket and forks by cradling the top pin. You must roll back the attachment to properly seat the attachment, then you manually install a lower pin in the lower hole on each side. Not as slick as the other system, but it has a couple advantages:
1) Money. The quick attach itself is a few hundred cheaper. You should get both the QA and a set of 42" forks for about $1,100. Freight would be additional.
2) No conversion to the QA system is required. The skid steer style requires that all attachments have a female mounting plate. The pin-type system uses the existing brackets on the back of the bucket and forks. Savings in money and time.
Of course, you could eliminate the QA and just buy a set of forks for the 7308. Banging pins in and out is OK if you do it a couple of times a year. But, if you plan on switching back and forth often, a QA system is a must.
Have your dealer ask for the pin-type system. It is available through Gearmore. Eric at Gearmore can give him some help if he needs it. Either type of system is in stock at the manufacturer. ....

pallet forks for 7308

View my Photos
tholls

2003-02-27          50196

My brother bought forks for our 7308. They are individual and attach to the bucket with large threaded screw clamps. You can position them to any spacing you like. They work well for occasional fork use, and you don't have to remove the bucket. One person can attach them in a few minutes, but they are HEAVY!

He paid around $550 for the pair. The brand and model escapes me, but if you're interested, I'll find out more and repost. ....

pallet forks for 7308

View my Photos
drcjv.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-02-27          50206

I have a set of forks for my 7308. I use them all the time they are held on with a chain that wraps around your bucket and held with a binder. They are 6' long, powder coated, go on and off in minutes and best of all they only cost $235.00 for the set. ....

pallet forks for 7308

View my Photos
Tom Kopf

2003-02-27          50209

I went to my local surplus steel place and to my welder and had VERY Heavy Duty forks made that bolt onto my HD bucket in about 4 minutes. I couldn't have bought better forks and I spent about $75 doing it. ....

pallet forks for 7308

View my Photos
JackHerr

2003-02-28          50235

The clamp-on or chain-on forks are OK, but they have some significant limitations:
1) Reduced visibility. The loader bucket makes a better door than a window. It is always in your way to see what you are doing. Stacking fence posts onto the forks? Fine. Trying to negotiate the the fork tips into the 4" gap of a pallet? Difficult. My experience has been that mistakes and inconveniences happen when I can't see what I'm doing.
2) Physics. Clamp-on forks automatically set your load about 18 to 24-inches further in front of your bucket. This reduces the loader's capacity. Not a big deal if your loader has a lot of capacity, but the 7308 has only 800 lbs. Your real lift capacity with the clamp-on forks may only be around 500 lbs.
3) Bucket destruction. Clamp-on forks put a lot of strain on the weakest part of the bucket, the center. Heavy loads can bend, twist, or tweak buckets. Hauling loads over uneven terrain can bounce your bucket into destruction. Chain-on forks reduce this strain to a degree by spreading the stresses over a larger area, but are not perfect. ....

pallet forks for 7308

View my Photos
tholls

2003-02-28          50254

Everything Jack says is true about visibility and load capacity. We just use the clamp-ons infrequently and only for light loads. ....

pallet forks for 7308

View my Photos
drcjv.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-02-28          50255

There may be some limitations to chain on forks but I must disagree with the degree stated above. 1.VISABILITY, I use my forks almost daily to move pallets and have absolutely no problem seeing what I am doing and am not slowed down at all. 2.CAPACITY, I will agree load amount is decrased some due to the forks being out front a little, but I have lifted 2016lbs with my 7308 on 33D with no sign of struggle and over 1400lbs with forks on (see previous post on loader capacity) 3.DESTRUCTION OF BUCKET, I have a heavy duty bucket and don't care what kind of terrain I'm on or what load I'm moveing the bucket is not coming apart. The only effects the forks have on the bucket are some scratches on the top from the chains and if the chains are very tight the bottom will bow upwards slightly. For $230.00 They can't be beat!

P.S. As far as QA I have already proven to a buddy of mine with QA forks on his JD that I can mount and dismount my forks as fast or faster than he can. All for still under $250.00 With the Extra $800.00 He spent I could have bought 1 if not 2 more implements. ....

pallet forks for 7308

View my Photos
JackHerr

2003-02-28          50268

drcjv,
You are right. The HD New Holland bucket is decent, but the standard one is not. (My company has been building replacement buckets for Ford/New Holland loaders for 25 years, many of them 7308s.) Also, the clamp-on forks that you use are the chain-on type. The chain-on type forks offer much better support to the bucket.
But we don't know what KH has in the way of equipment. He could have a 1320 Ford, 2WD, 7308 w/ standard bucket and be thinking seriously of the screw-on forks to move some heavy loads.
The type of loads that are moved make a huge difference. The 7308 has 1602 lbs. of breakout force, which is measured at ground level. However, that same 7308 has much less capacity at 42" off of the ground.
My experience has been moving heavy pallets from 1-ton truck beds with a dedicated pallet fork. I hate it. I'm glad that I have forklifts and a skid steer to use. Visibility with the tractor is nonexistent, stability of the load is poor and stability of the tractor is sketchy. I have set the parking brake, got off the tractor, and walked around to see where my fork tines were heading. Each situation is different. For moving pallets around at ground level, the clamp-on forks may be OK. But plan on lifting anything off of the ground more than a couple of feet? I would not recommend it. ....

pallet forks for 7308

View my Photos
KH

2003-03-01          50284

Thanks for the posts. I have a 02 TC33D w/H.D. bucket.My problem is that I could spend $800.00(gearmore quick connect kit)+$800.00(for pallet forks)=$1600.00. If i'm going that far, I may as well what for the 14LA loader to come out which according to my dealer will have the quick connect on it.All i'll need is the loader as the valve assembly is the same. So i was searching for an alternative soluton. What exactly is the forks with the chains al about and where can they be found? Thanks ....

pallet forks for 7308

View my Photos
TomG

2003-03-01          50293

I looked at bucket forks in many varieties and wasn't really happy with any of them. I ended up with a 3ph forklift, which only cost a little more than the loader bucket replacement forks I was considering.

There are all kinds of advantages to having a true fork-lift compared to any loader type, and a few disadvantages I suppose. The 3ph forklift was a fairly pricey solution but it does solve many of the safety things Jack mentioned and it lifts more. It's something that anybody who anticipates a lot of material handling, and especially on pallets, might take a look at.

pallet forks for 7308

View my Photos
drcjv.

2003-03-01          50294

Jack seems to be very knowledgable about tractors and seems to be in the bussiness in some way. He uses lots of technical terms. I'm not in the tractor bussiness (I am a doctor)and I only own 6 tractors, but I do know how my equipment performs for me on my property and these forks work very well, I have unloaded pallets form my F250 and have never had a problem with load stability, if I plan on lifting a heavy load I make sure I have my ballast box on the back(1000lbs). I have also stacked loads as high as the loader would go with no problem. It seems Jack is using his equipment commercially and I think we would all agree that in that case a forklift is better than chain forks, but as a home owner who uses his 33D almost daily they work great. The forks simply slip on to the bottom of the bucket a chain wraps around the bucket and is secured with a chain binder. I bought them at Paul B Zimmerman Inc. in Lititz PA 717-738-7365 PLF4000 Bale Mover Forks. I have the same tractor you do (KH) so your results should be similar. (I do use a ballast box and I did have the valving on my loader adjusted which made an incredable differance I have lifted over a ton with no problem.)I would say that compared to chain forks a 3pth lift has many more limitations and still not as cheap. ....

pallet forks for 7308

View my Photos
hardwood

2003-03-01          50296

I agree with Tom, forks on a front mounted bucket scare me to death. I guess it's just human nature to make aomething do just a little more than it was meant to. A few years ago I was going to buy a set of forks for a heavy farm tractor loader, my neighbor who had a set told me if I wanted to do things safely to get a real forklift. With a little shopping around I found there are tons of good used lifts that can be had for much less than I'd thought. The hard tire ones are basicly helpless off the cement, so you need to stick with an all terrain model, but there lots of them too. Hope my experience helps. ....

pallet forks for 7308

View my Photos
drcjv.

2003-03-01          50300

If you have any common sense at all forks on a bucket can work very well. I use them all the time with little to no problems. I will stress again the importance of ballast when moving heavy loads. Of course forklift work is better done with a forklift , but they also have limitations. ....

pallet forks for 7308

View my Photos
tractorman

2003-03-01          50303

An ATI Quick Attach System would cost around 500.00 for a 7308 front loader. The weld on adapters to convert your old bucket to fit the quick tach are around 90.00. Quick Tach pallet Forks can cost you anywhere from 400-700.00 depending on brand & quality. Good Luck.......tractorman

Link:   

Click Here

pallet forks for 7308

View my Photos
TomG

2003-03-01          50306

I'm not knocking anybody's solution and I did say that mine isn't for everybody. I will run through some things my forklift does but mostly just to inform. I don't think there are loader types available that do all these things.

My 3ph forklift gives me 5.5' true vertical lift without using 3ph height. It has a backrest and it always keeps the backrest and a telescoping frame the load and me and the tractor. It has carriage tilt, swinging carriage and 3-piece forks for running under pallets or getting them off the forks on rough ground. The 3ph side-leveler provides side-tilt.

I use it for taking pallets off flatbed delivery trucks. I need the 5'+ lift and I'm not sure that I could do that with loader type forks unless the pallets were near the edge of the truck bed. I'm also glad the weight is on the rear and there's a steel frame between the load and me when I have 1,000+ lbs. 6' in the air on rough ground. I also use it for things like putting 700 lbs. box scrapers in my 1/2-ton bed that has a cap on it, but I probably could do that with a loader type. I also can stack and unstack things against a wall without moving them out first. Loaders lift in arcs and they'll break a wall since they move both up and forward from ground level when they lift. The maneuverability of steering from the back (like a forklift) is much better at lining up to hit pallet notches and the forks slide in and out so they can be easily adjusted when I don't hit the notches. I sometimes wish I had gotten the side-shift option.

pallet forks for 7308

View my Photos
drcjv.

2003-03-01          50309

Tom I will say again if what you do for a living all day long is unload flatbed delivery trucks your set up is definitly better, but for the average homeowner factoring in cost, ease of use and versitality chain on forks are a very viable solution. Given ENOUGH time I can do JUST ABOUT every thing you listed above. And it still only cost me $230.00 ....

pallet forks for 7308

View my Photos
TomG

2003-03-02          50345

DR: I don't think I'm in a debate about what works well for you or even boosted my solution. I did say my solution isn't for everybody.

I figure I gave your opinion plenty of room to say what works for you. I'd appreciate the room to describe some differences between true forklift attachments and loader systems that everybody may not know about without finding myself in a debate. There really isn't disagreement here, but then I haven't mentioned safety issues nor am I likely to in this context.

pallet forks for 7308

View my Photos
drcjv.

2003-03-02          50381

Tom, I thought this board was all about debate (friendly) so we can all learn from each others many varied experiances. The many debates show that there are more than one way to skin that old cat. Certainly no disrespect intended. ....

pallet forks for 7308

View my Photos
hardwood

2003-03-02          50383

Dr; I too thought this was a friendly debate, but being told I did'nt have common sense wasn't apreciated. My whole point was that even with the best of planning a rear tire can go into a small depression on a gravel yard and cause a set of bucket mounted forks to get real scary real fast. About once or twice a year we loose somebody around here in a tractor upset accident. My solution also isn't for every body, and without enough use a forklift is kind of hard to justify, but I do have employees whose safety I must be concernd with, so doing something risky just isn;t worth the chance. ....

pallet forks for 7308

View my Photos
drcjv.

2003-03-03          50398

Hardwood, first of all I did not say or even imply that you don't have common sence. I simply stated that you (meaning anyone) must use common sence when using bucket forks or any other power equipment for that matter. Your neighbor said they were not safe, It is possible he did'nt use common sence while using them. I use them all the time with little to no problem again just one more persons oppinion no more important than anyone elses. I will state one more time that for commercial use espeacially with employees I would not use bucket forks, but for the homeowner they can work very well. ....

pallet forks for 7308

View my Photos
hardwood

2003-03-03          50400

Dr.
Thanks for the reply, no hard feelings held here, lets enjoy our debates. ....

pallet forks for 7308

View my Photos
TomG

2003-03-03          50409

Yes, me too. I might choose 'friendly collaboration' rather than 'friendly debate' to describe what should happen here--same idea but just a slightly different cast to it.

I am aware that different turns of phrase can be taken differently in various places, and I think that may be mostly what's going here. We certainly all are in the business or both contributing and learning. Whew! Happy we're past that.

Your point is well taken that bucket forks for typical homeowners may be more appropriate. My forklift may be overkill even for myself. I got mine because I knew I wanted one with a back rest. Loads up high on loaders do roll off the back of buckets and on to the tractor unless they're watched carefully. Without a self-leveling loader, the bucket tilts back as the load raises, but it's true that all you've got to do is watch and adjust. When I priced that loader forks with back rests etc. I found that the 3ph unit wasn't much more, and then I'd have a loader bucket that could be used at the same time. Well, not quite since the forklift needs two rear hydraulic outlets and I only have one, so I have to steel the loader curl valve. The 3ph forklift is a pain to get on and off too.

I guess I also got the forklift because we live in a 40-mile township that has a population of 250 men women and children. There's often nobody around to help when you want to do something, so I wanted to make things as easy for myself as possible.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login