Go Bottom Go Bottom

TC30 Wheel Weights

View my Photos
Mrwurm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-07-09          40184

I have noticed that New Holland makes wheel weights to fit the 11.2 x 24 ag tires and the 16 x 19.5 R4 tires but none are listed for the 13.6 x 16 turf tires. What gives? They all have the same bolt pattern. Is the wheel hub too small? Could I make a modification to the wheel weights for R4's to get them to fit the turf rim?

Also, Kubota and Deere also use the 13.6 x 16 turf on the B2910 and the 790. The Kubota has a different bolt pattern but I have not checked the Deere. My wheel has an 8 bolt pattern. The Kubota has 6. The Deere? My point here is if Deere makes some for the turfs then all I need is paint.

I know many will recommend filling the tires, but I have an impaired child who regularly lets the air out of any tires he sets he sights on. Cars, Vans, trucks, bikes, quads, you name it. It's funny at times, other times its a pain. He is quite good with tools and will use them to remove valve stem caps if I forget to lock the toolbock. He's not strong enough to remove the lugnuts, so I think the wheel weights may be safe.

Jerry

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

TC30 Wheel Weights

View my Photos
Mrwurm

2002-07-09          40185

Ok, just saw a picture of a 790 with turfs. They have a 6 bolt pattern. ....

TC30 Wheel Weights

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-07-09          40188

The factory wheel weights are held on by three bolts, not the same as the lug bolts. Even if you find some weights from a wheel of the same (lug) bolt pattern, it wouldn't guarantee that they would fit yours.
I'd guess that you are right that the turf wheels are too small to fit the standard wheel weights. I made my own for my TC29; 45-lb gym plates are a snug fit for my R4 rims.
Bill ....

TC30 Wheel Weights

View my Photos
Mrwurm

2002-07-09          40190

Gym plates eh, hmm. Now you got me thinking. I have lots of room on the inboard side of the wheel between the hub and the axle. Thanks for the Idea.

Jerry ....

TC30 Wheel Weights

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-07-09          40193

Deere uses the same rim for the R4 and the Turf tires does NH not do the same? Are you sure it is not 19.5 x 16 and 13.6 x 16?
Peters ....

TC30 Wheel Weights

View my Photos
Peters

2002-07-09          40194

Jerry;
I checked the the NH site, you are correct. Well sort of. The R4 are 15 x 19.5. I guess the logic is that you don't want extra weight if you are using the tractor for mowing as you will compact the soil.
Maybe the box weight is the answer? I have not filled my tires but use my heavy 3pt blade when I need the extra weight. For mowing I strip down and remove the bucket etc. so that I do not compact the grass.
Peters ....

TC30 Wheel Weights

View my Photos
Mrwurm

2002-07-09          40195

NH uses a larger diameter 19.5 in wheel for their R4's and a 16 inch for their turf. That's something I like about Deeres, the fact that they use a large diameter wheel for their turf tires on the 4000 ten series. The JD790 uses the same tire configuration as my NH TC30 and Boomer series.

Jerry ....

TC30 Wheel Weights

View my Photos
TomG

2002-07-10          40232

I've probably mentioned my approach before. I use unloaded turfs, no wheel weights and don't have a ballast box. I don't plow but I do have some traction problems with my box scraper. The problems are manageable and it just takes me a little longer sometimes.

When I recently spread my latest 15-yard load of gravel, I was surprised to find myself using the box scraper far more than the loader. I pulled down the pile a bit with the loader and then backed up and filled the box with a load and dragged it to where I wanted to spread the gravel.

In the past I've tended to take loader buckets to where I wanted to spread the gravel and then use the box. The box seemed to work better and there probably was less wear and tear on the tractor as well. Sometimes the wheels would start spinning when the box was full and I was on 6" of loose gravel. I simply had to lift the box a bit with the 3ph to put the weight of the box on the 3ph. With the extra weight I could drag the box to where there was less loose gravel and then float the 3ph again.

I guess my point is that operating technique also can be used to manage traction problems and sometimes may be preferable to using additional weight. Since loaded tires, ballast boxes and wheel weights all have their aggravations, I'll likely stick with my lightweight solution. Of course, I'm also usually not pressed for time. I know the subject here is about wheels, but I just wanted to say that using nothing could be a solution.

TC30 Wheel Weights

View my Photos
BillMullens

2002-07-10          40236

If you ever go see a tractor pull event, you'll see all kinds of imaginative ways to ballast farm tractors.
Bill ....

TC30 Wheel Weights

View my Photos
Mrwurm

2002-07-11          40279

Well, I decided to just go ahead and have the tires filled with RimGuard. I was by far the cheapest and heaviest way to ballast my loader. I got some metal valve stem caps and put them on real tight. I hope this keeps the little guy from draining my fluid out.

Jerry ....

TC30 Wheel Weights

View my Photos
TomG

2002-07-12          40294

I'm trying to recall if brush guards for valve stems would make it any more difficult to remove the valve caps. Using the guards is a pretty good idea for people who work in heavy brush a lot. Brush can take the whole valve stem off rather than just the cap. ....

TC30 Wheel Weights

View my Photos
Mrwurm

2002-07-12          40304

I've been thinking about that as well. Maybe I can come up with something to cover the valve stem caps and keep curious fingers out.

Jerry ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login