Go Bottom Go Bottom

additional lights

View my Photos
dh
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-02-13          35557

I want to mount two additional lights on a TC25D. I have a rear facing light already installed and I am wondering if the alternator will handle the two additional forward facing lights. Any one have any experience with this?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

additional lights

View my Photos
TomG

2002-02-14          35585

Two 55W lights draw about 9 amps, while 2 35’s draw just under 6A @ 12V. I don't know the rating of the tractor's alternator but I'd be surprised if it was less than 25A. Two lights should be fine, but I would verify the alternator rating. Many Kubotas have a fused circuit and outlet (under the seat I think) that is useful for connecting aux lights. I don't recall if the circuit is fused at 10A or 15A. A 10-amp fuse is slightly small for a 9-amp load, but it should work OK. I ran my lighting circuit directly from the battery and used an in-line fuse holder. ....

additional lights

View my Photos
TomG

2002-02-14          35586

Upps! Read thoroughly before commenting I guess. I missed that we're talking about three lights, which would draw just under 14A @ 12V. That load would blow a 10A circuit for sure and would be marginal for a 15. If you're running all three from an 15A aux circuit, a 14A load may occasionally blow a fuse, and I'd just try it and see what happens. Otherwise, it's easy enough to run an additional circuit from the battery, with due regards for alternator rating of course. ....

additional lights

View my Photos
dh

2002-02-20          35748

Thanks for the info. ....

additional lights

View my Photos
StephenR
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-02-20          35754

Since you have the "D" you have 4 lights up front 2 of those on the side. Do those actually help having them on the side? From the brochure, it looks like the loader arms would block any light coming from them? ....

additional lights

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-02-20          35759

I had the "D" as well. Those lights on the side help when mowing somewhat, but loader work at night is tough because your lighting is blocked due to the inherent nature of their positioning. I remember seeing rear fender mounted lights that were forward facing on the 55 series J/D's and always thought that was a better idea. They included two sealed beams on the front as well, I believe. Best setups I have seen lately are those high intensity driving lights the size of a half dollar mounted high on the roll bar. Inexpensive too! ....

additional lights

View my Photos
RHumphreys

2002-03-20          36533

I would suggest that you run a separate circuit for the lights with a relay and switch. This circuit should be fused slightly above the lighting amp draw. Run the circuit to your battery or fuse box main positive cable lead. The relay will prevent surges that could fry switches or worst yet you tractor wiring! ....

additional lights

View my Photos
TomG

2002-03-21          36572

In a properly engineered circuit, fuse protection should be adequate to protect against surges. However, all components, including wire gauge and switches should be rated for the fuse protection, and slow-blow fuses shouldn't be used. Relays are often used when loads would require large fuses and correspondingly huge switches and heavy gauge wiring throughout a circuit. A bunch of lights could well be a load that could use a relay to advantage.

A misconception that's pretty easy to fall into is: 'Well it's only 12V so almost anything will be OK.' Switches are rated according to their power dissipating ability, as well as voltage. Power dissipation is solely due to the current flow and the internal resistance of the switch. 10A through a switch at 12V and 10A at 120V dissipate the same power.

The point is that lighting at 12V draws a lot of current. Four 55W lights at 12V draws just over 18A, not including an allowance for initial surge. An 18A 12V switch is bigger than somebody may want to put on their dash and wire with heavy gauge wire.

Another thing to consider is that many tractors have 25A rated alternators. Four 55W work lights plus other lighting and accessories on a tractor may exceed an alternator's capacity. With high loads, an alternator won't recharge the battery as fast or at all after using glow plugs and the starter. With loads that exceed an alternator’s output, the battery probably supports the load until the battery voltage declines. I’d have to read up on regulators a bit, but I seem to recall that a regulator provides over-current protection for the alternator.

additional lights

View my Photos
dh

2002-04-10          37253

I think the TC25D has a 40 amp alternator.
Would this be enough to run the, I believe 4 head lights one 35 watt rear facing light and two additional 35 or 55 watt lights mounted on the rops?

additional lights

View my Photos
TomG

2002-04-11          37275

If they are all 35W's, I count seven lights that would draw just over 20A if they were all on and about 24A if two were 55W. Sounds like the alternator would carry it, but the recharge times following pre-heat and starter use probably would be longer. ....

additional lights

View my Photos
dh

2002-04-11          37285

I think I will try it with the 35s. Thanks for the help. These tractor forums are great! ....

additional lights

View my Photos
RayH

2002-04-19          37647

I have four 55W Hella Ag lights on my TC40D two forward mounted and two rear mounted. Each set is on its own wiring harness with a relay and switch. I have no problems operating all four lights and the headlights at the same time. By the way you can buy the factory NH switches from any dealer and they make a very clean installation because they fit in the blanks on the dash. ....

additional lights

View my Photos
none

2002-04-22          37713

Here's an idea...wire the relay in with the parking light output( detent one on the OEM headlight switch )and then fuse & wire the contacts of the relay through switches to your lites. this way the lights are only on when the parking lights are on. When you snap on the OEM headlights, the aux. lights are off. Save on alternator capacity and can prevent the 'left them on again' problem. When you turn off the key all of the lights go dead.

ps. the OEM switches are made by Carling, but its best to buy switches from the dealer ( less than $ 15.00 but clean and lighted ) ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login