Go Bottom Go Bottom

new holland or john deere

View my Photos
berry man
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-07-26          30414

I am considering the New Holland tc45 and the John Deere 4700 for my first tractor. The tractor will be used on my three acre orchard and berry farm. It will be used for spraying,tilling,bush hog,and winter snow removal. The John Deere is a little over two thousand more than the Boomer. I like the Boomers styling but the 4700 has a wet clutch and two more hp. Any opinions?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Danny Yerks

2001-07-27          30437

When I was shopping for a tractor I had it narrowed down to JD and NH also. I ended up with the NH for 2 reasons. 1) That green paint is expensive! The JD had less for more $. 2) The NH dealer was much much better to deal with. The JD dealer acted like he didn't care if I bought a tractor from him or not.

It seems to me $1000 per HP is pretty expensive. ....

View my Photos
BeeFarmer

2001-07-27          30439

I too have been looking at both. I went to a JD dealer this weekend and was amazed at the lack of options the JD had compared to the NH. "And the price difference" The NH had 3pt telescoping linkage, and the JD did not as a standard. The NH had drop down ROP and the JD didn't. The NH had better twist seating and the JD didn't. And a few other things I can't remember.. HOWEVER the JD did have a drink holder!!!! ....

View my Photos
Stephen R. Cebenko

2001-07-27          30441

Beefarmer,

Gotta love that cup holder. ....

View my Photos
MarkS

2001-07-27          30443

The NH has a drink holder standard on the TC D series tractors too. Of course it is NEVER used for an occasional Budweiser. One thing to try out with the JD and the NH is the power of the Hydrostat. I was a little surprised when my TC40D wouldn't pull up a hill in High range, in "rabbit" Mode. It does fine if I switch into "Turtle" but it caught me of gaurd the first time it happened. I'm not sure if the Deere would perform any better, as this is the first Hydrostat machine I have owned. Mark ....

View my Photos
BeeFarmer

2001-07-27          30444

Yes.. there is a cup holder on the 35 and up. I was looking at the comparison of the 33. I should of said that! Also... interesting enough I tested the 35 and found that the 33 pulled a lot better up the hills than the 35.. I am not surprised at you comments. I mentioned that issue in the past in this forum how I was dissappointed with the 35. ....

View my Photos
berry man

2001-07-27          30454

The Boomer I was considering was the regular tc45 with the 12/12 transmission not the Deluxe. Would it still be worth purchasing if it is not available with the cup holder? I don't think it comes with the fancy rubber mats either. ....

View my Photos
Al

2001-07-29          30484

IMHO I would suggest you go with the NH over the JD. I've owned the JD4300 and currently own the 4400 and still cannot find a single thing to suggest that the Deere are better and worth the extra money over the NH. I've given JD my money twice just to be sure I was being objective. The next time it well be either blue or orange. NH gives you much more for the money and JD's response will be the new even higher priced 4x10 series. But the number 1 reason I suggest any color over green is the corporate attitude on service. When you spend $20-30K on any purchase, it's a major purchase and the after purchase service should be there. JD's corporate protocol for dealers is to always deny there is a problem with their tractors or it's operator error like everyone who owns green has an IQ below 50. Even if you have a great dealer who is responsive, his hands are tied because in order to perform any warranty work he has to get approval from the JD service tech rep first or they won't get reimbursed on their parts and labor. One kick more is that the allotted time JD gives their dealers to do the warranty repair is never realistic so right off the bat the dealer knows he will be eating labor cost. JD's corporate stances is that the burden of proof on any problems you may have with owning one of their tractors falls on you and they will be glad to honor their warranty if your patience can endure their poor consumer relations protocol. Be a wise objective buyer and ask the dealers about warranty service. Ask if they make their own decisions or a corporate rep decides. -The issue of not being able to go up a hill in high gear is the same with a JD hydro. The high range is meant for transport with low and mid being working ranges. ....

View my Photos
Chris in IN

2001-07-29          30491

I have a JD 4400 hydro. My experence seems to be the opposite of the others. In my area NH & Kubota are higher priced than JD. My dealer has been great. They have picked up & delivered my tractor for all repairs at no charge. I have never had to fight to get something covered under warranty. I do not understand the statement that JD is less of a tractor than the others. The things that sold me on JD over the others were the following. 1)turning brakes that could be used on a hydro 2)liked 2 hydro pedals better than 1 3)loader was easer to remove & install 4) Backhoe was much easer to install & remove. ....

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-07-30          30504

I'm with Chris on this one also. I found no significant price differences between JD, NH, and Kubota on the best deals I could get, even though I found huge price differences on each of the three brands across different dealers. My dealer's service and warranty support has been excellent, even though he is an ag dealer and compacts are not his highest priority, especially in the spring. And as far as tractor-to-tractor comparison, I have consistently stated on this board that while I think NH has the best ergonomics (swivel seat, control lever locations, standard telescoping 3-point), JD has it all over the rest in implement features and ease of attachment/detachment (standard quik-tach bucket on loader, backhoe and loader attach/detach, belly mower compatibility with loader and backhoe, belly mower attach/detach, etc.) And nothing will start as well as the Deere in cold weather (direct injection with pre-heater) or if you run out of fuel (self-bleeding fuel system). Try them out before you buy. ....

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-07-30          30513

Just gotta throw in my $.02 worth. My experience with JD service is great. They picked up tractor and redelivered NO CHARGE. Replacled the infamous front axle and a bushing in between 3 & 4 gear I think. Did my dealer check with JD in the sky first? You bet they did. Do I have to check with my health insurance first...? You bet I do. I owned small blu and now own small green. I grew up on Farmal, JD, Cockshutt and Oliver. All tractors and dealers have their points on both sides of the fence. I could not deal with the current Blue dealer or any of the othe Blue dealers locally, tried for 2 years, all seem to be in cahoots. Worked on JD for 6mo and got a deal for the same money as Blu. Plus I got on a larger tractor and JD still had to anty up a bounch of, pricey, throw in stuff. Green is good. Blue is good. The deal and the support is the break point, in my opnion. PS personally I would not own a hydro. Can not seem to get comfey on them. ....

View my Photos
kay

2001-07-30          30514

I'm with Chris, Harvey, and Jeff too. Big convincer when I tried out a blu was the slow movement of the loader bucket, both lifting and curling. Also, couldn't even imagine driving a tractor without individual and accessible wheel brakes either. And the SS didn't turn any tighter circle than the JD. They have some creature comforts, but my JD is plenty comfortable for me. And my dealer is great and I hope he keeps his business healthy. I expect to pay my way as well as everybody else, otherwise he may run himself out of business. Then I would be SOL. My 2cents. ....

View my Photos
berry man

2001-07-30          30527

Seems that the Deere owners are generally satisfied with their tractors with the exception of those who are dissatisfied with their local dealers. The quality of the implements and their ease of attatchment appears to be a consistent JD strong point. Our nearest John Deere dealer has many dissatisfied customers,including me. I purchased a riding mower from them and found the dealer to be rude and arrogant. A dealer twenty miles away has an excellent reputation and I plan on talking price with him more seriously. My father in law has done much business with our local NH dealer and has been satisfied with the performance of his tractors and the dealer service. ....

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-07-31          30534

Berry man, I found rude and arrogant dealers in all three major brands during my shopping, and I found what I believe to be good dealers in all three brands as well. It's just that sometimes the closer dealers were the SOBs. I prefer to spend my money as locally as possible, but I won't spend it with someone who doesn't recognize me as an intelligent customer in a competitive marketplace. ....

View my Photos
MarkS

2001-07-31          30537

Its been my experience that the rude dealers are usually the higher priced ones. I've never figured out how these places stay in business, but somehow it seems they are always the ones that do. ....

View my Photos
kay

2001-07-31          30538

MarkS said a lot (at least to me)! Maybe we (quoting the famous Pogo) have met the enemy, and he are US! The dealer has to turn a profit, or he cannot stay in business. Maybe he has to quote a price (can't give the stuff away) that is higher than the guy down the road, and to us, he is being arrogant and rude because he won't come down on his price for us. (I'm not saying that there are not some out there who are arrogant either). But lets face it. There are some buyers who want the list price, bottom numbers or they will go elsewhere. I'm sure that the dealer does not want to see a customer go down the road, but it is in his best interest financially to see him go. He's probably the customer who needs his rear end wiped every time he gets into a little trouble when the 'ol S*** happens, and doesn't want to pay a dime to get it done for him. And sometimes the dealer obviously doesn't get full support from the BIG COMPANY and is caught in between. Maybe the dealer isn't rude and arrogant to all his customers, keeping those who really support his business happy. Thanks for the insight, MarkS. At least I think I have a different picture of dealers now. ....

View my Photos
berry man

2001-07-31          30539

Kay,
I'm talking rude as in you're fortunate to have a JD dealer in your area and if you're lucky I'll take time to show your our product. If you're really lucky I'll act like I'm at all interested in selling you a JD,but you'd be a total idiot if you did'nt jump at the opportunity if I choose to offer you one. The prece need not be discussed because whatever it is, it's worth it. This is not a condemnation of all, or even a majority of JD dealers. It is my experience with the nearest dealer. As I said before, the next closest dealer has been helpful and courteous. If the nearest dealer were my only option, I'd go blue in a heartbeat. ....

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-07-31          30545

Kay, i'm with berry man here, too. I don't equate highest price with rude and arrogant, although sometimes they were hand-in-hand. I consider arrogant to be when the dealer can't be bothered to offer a test drive and is considering that he is doing me a favor by even talking to me unless I am willing to sign a purchase order on the spot. At whatever price he picks. I've never had one of MY customers ever ask a dumb question - some questions maybe are obvious, but if the customer is asking then they deserve the respect and time to have their questions answered. I've also run into arrogant dealers who play the "don't you know exactly what you want?" game to try to intimidate me. I don't blindly buy at the lowest price, but I do expect the price to be competitive and the dealer to show me the respect due a paying customer. ....

View my Photos
Stan_McC

2001-09-02          31526

I used to sell John Deere L&G equipment as an outside salesman. This meant being the aggressor so to speak so you can't go trying to sell & be arrogant about it. If someone was interested in equipment, I supplied them with the information they wanted. Be it just a simple question, or a serious price quote. Many times I was warned by my boss for spending too much time with people and not getting sales contracts. It took about a year of hard work, but the sales started rolling in. Now that I'm out of sales and on the other side of the fence, I agree a lot of sales people do have an attitude problem. I'm looking to get my money's worth, so I'll look at any brand and won't accept a salesman isn't wanting to actively sell equipment. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login