Go Bottom Go Bottom

TC40D Price Check

View my Photos
Tim Markey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-06-21          29479

Hi Folks, I'm in the process of buying my 1st tractor. I've been getting prices for the TC35D & TC40D both with a FEL. What I would like to hear from ya'll is the pro's & con's between the 2. Basically, should I go up to the 40 horse? I currently have about 3 acers of lawn to mow, 4 in pasture and 8 in woods/weeds which I would like to make into pasture. Fate may smile on me & I'll add another 60 acers of woods/weeds in a couple of years. I live in SE Michigan, so snow is an issue, but usually not a BIG issue. I may be able to afford an TC45D, but may have a problem with the extra $. Also, any advice on things to get up front (ie: grill guard). Thanks - Tim M.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

TC40D Price Check

View my Photos
Steve Benson

2001-06-21          29485

Tim,

I purchased a TC40D with FEL about a month ago. We have 40 acres, 25 in hay, rest in pasture. I have 45 hours on it now and have been very happy. I've used it for brush hogging, tedding hay, pulling 200 bail wagons, managing manure piles, post hole drilling, box scraping ruts from pathways, and dragging whole trees. It seems that the horsepower is well matched to the size of the machine. I haven't run into anything yet that made me feel underpowered. I don't know that I'd want to go any lower on horse power for some of the stuff I've been doing. I wouldn't mind going 45 though, it is certainly not to much for a tractor this size. ....

TC40D Price Check

View my Photos
Ray H

2001-06-21          29489

Expect to pay with in the following range for a TC40D with FEL and standard bucket 20 to 22,500. I opted for the TC40D because the little bit of extra money was worth the extra cylinder. The TC35D is only three cylinders. I outfitted mine with a heavy duty bucket with cutting edge, ATI quick release on the FEL (plan on welding a plow set up to a blank plate), remotes front and rear, grill guard, and a Woods 9000 hoe. The TC40D has all the power I need. ....

TC40D Price Check

View my Photos
MarkS

2001-06-21          29493

Tim, Definately get the HD bucket on your loader, and the grill gaurd is probably a good Idea Also. I did not purchase the grill gaurd and I have already put a small crease in the mesh on the grill. Only have 35 hrs on my tractor so far. As far as the 35 vs. 40, I believe either have plenty of power, but I opted for the 40 when I bought mine and I'm extremely happy with it. I owned a 3cyl tractor before this and the 4 cyl is noticeably smoother. Also the 40 and 45 models have slightly more 3pt lift capacity if I remember correctly. I also recommend the R4 tires vs. Turf. I previously owned turf tires and when I got my TC40D I opted for the R4's. I'm much more pleased with the industrials over the turf, and they don't tear up the ground any worse unless you are turning very fast and sharp. I do bog the tractor down from time to time while climbing hills in High range but a simple switch (the dual power switch) to the Turtle mode, or a gear change into the low side and the machine does fine. So far I've been very happy with the machine, only problems I have had were installation problems with the loader that the dealer has fixed. They had accidentally pinched a colant line under the loader brace, forgot two bolts that hold the loader control to the fender, and some the the loader connections were leaking hydrualic fluid. Also when I turn full left the left front tire can contact the loader fram, not sure if this is an adjustment problem or what yet. I need to check it out closer. I'm rambling on now, good luck with your purchase. BTW I paid 16402 for the tractor and somewhere between 3500 and 4000 for the loader with HD bucket and toothbar. ....

TC40D Price Check

View my Photos
John Evans

2001-06-21          29501

Tim-
I'm in coastal SC and have been quoted 20,200 and 20,500 from 2 different dealers for the TC40D w/ R4's and HD FEL. The 20,200 is from an out-of-state dealer (approx. 100 miles) that will delivery for free (and also save me $300 in sales tax.) I'll probably add the grill guard.
I plan to purchase within the next 30 days as soon as I sell my JD 955 which is a great tractor but I need a little more oomph.
I looked a a JD 4600 which has slighly more HP but is $3000 more (after much haggling)! I'd like to own another green tractor but can't justify the $$$. The NH will do everything I need to do.
Good Luck.
John ....

TC40D Price Check

View my Photos
Tim Markey

2001-06-22          29515

That's for all of your input. I believe there will be a TC40D w/ FEL in my barn very soon.

I have another question (Maybe should be another post), how does the Ford employee purchase program work. Anyone out there that has the scoop? I ask this because I have received quotes that differ by as much as $600 for the exact same tractor. I was under the impression that it was a fixed cost. ....

TC40D Price Check

View my Photos
Steve Benson

2001-06-22          29522

I've seen prices vary as much as $3000 in NY & PA vs. New England. ....

TC40D Price Check

View my Photos
Rick

2001-06-22          29525

The latest copy of my dealer policy manual tells me that Ford employees are no longer eligible for a discount from New Holland Dealers. But the way New Holland changes there mind lately that could have changed again! Good Luck! ....

TC40D Price Check

View my Photos
Kelly Carlson

2001-06-23          29561

I'm in New hampshire and purchased a TC35D last fall for my 200 acres, about 60 acres of which is hilly hay fields and paddocks. Also have a mile long dirt access road at an 11 degree grade that I maintain with this tractor.
So far I've got just under 200 hours of use with no problems whatsoever. In addition to the FEL, I'm operating an 8' Curtis plow in the winter, a Landpride 2572 rotary cutter, 7' grading blade and rake, and post hole digger. Surprising to me, it also ran my 25kw PTO generator at full load with no problems.
I was initially concerned that the 35 would not have adequate power, but it has performed exceptionally well - don't be concerned about the power difference compared to the 40. However, I would have purchased a TC40D had one been available last fall, simply because I prefer the 4 cyl. engine.
Kelly

TC40D Price Check

View my Photos
Tom Kopf

2001-06-28          29691

Tim,
I bought a TC40D this past winter. The reasons for not going bigger/smaller were-1 the 45 doesn't allow the use of a mid PTO. I don't need one now, but I didn't want to be forced to buy a new tractor if the need ever arrises.2- I preferred the 4 cyl over the 3cyl.
I also got the FEL and the supersteer that I wasn't sure that I needed. Boy am I glad that I spent the extra money on that one! With the R4 tires I don't hurt the lawn with the sharpest turns- and it turns almost as good as my zero turning radius lawnmower. It also makes working out in tight places like my woods a breeze. I would highly recomend that option. Good Luck, Tom ....

TC40D Price Check

View my Photos
Tim Markey

2001-06-29          29707

Thanks all for your input. This message board was a great resourse in my compact tractor research. Yesterday I ordered a TC40D w/ 16LA FEL (HD bucket), R4 tires filled with Rim Guard, 1 rear remote control, Gril guard & a Woods 72" rear discharge finish mower. My total cost was about $23,300 (after tax). I should get it next Thursday or Friday. ....

TC40D Price Check

View my Photos
Tom Kopf

2001-06-29          29718

Congratulations Tim!
I know what a LOOOOOONNNNGGGGG week this will be! Tom ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login