Go Bottom Go Bottom

NH Warranty Work

View my Photos
Chris
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-05-21          28416

Thanks for the price information. I sent out a lot of requests for quotes on the TC25D thru e-mails and got quite a few responses. The prices are generally pretty close to home, but there are a few deals to be had out there. The main concern I have now is the following quote from a NH dealer in No. IN....."Thanks for your inquiry. Because warranty work on New Holland equipment is required to be performed at the selling dealer's facility, I'm going to recommend a dealer that would be considerably closer to you."Is this a true statement? Does warranty work have to be done by the NH delaer who sold the equipment? Again, thanks in advance for any information you can share.--Chris

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

NH Warranty Work

View my Photos
TomG

2001-05-22          28432

I heard something to that effect on another board, or maybe it was JD service. What was said indicated that allowances are made for people who move and for dealers who go out of business. I can't remember details. Anyway, if such a policy exists, it does make some sense, and it's not uncommon. The idea is that such a policy is a manufacture’s way of supporting their own dealers. Many manufacturers believe that a strong local network of dealers is good for profit. If manufacturers don't support their dealers, then an industry likely would end up with a few high-volume/low mark-up dealers. Dealers in smaller markets couldn't survive on service work alone and would close. A few dealers would move a lot of product great distances. When the tractors started needing repairs, a manufacturer would then have a lot of aggravated customers on their hands. The customers would end up trucking their tractors all over the place, because there wouldn't be any place locally to repair them. ....

NH Warranty Work

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-05-22          28443

Chris and TomG, that thread was on this board and I was one of the main instigators, ah, I mean contributors. See the link below and read the entire thread. Bottom line is that the NH policy is that ONLY the selling dealer is required to do warranty work, the JD policy is that ANY authorized dealer is required to take on warranty work, and the Kubota policy seems to be in the middle. My opinion of this is that the NH policy is best for dealers, the JD policy is best for consumers, and the Kubota policy adroitly staddles the fence. Being a consumer in this equation, I was not very impressed with the NH policy and would strongly consider this form of "service blackmail" in any future purchase. ....

Link:   

Click Here

NH Warranty Work

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-05-22          28444

TomG, I don't buy the theory that a manufacturer needs to protect the dealers on service and warranty work in the manner of New Holland. Service work should be able to stand on its own as a profitable business. Otherwise it is being subsidized by sales. If a dealer runs a service business properly (that is, exceptional customer service at a fair return) then customer loyalty will follow, leading to future sales. Sales is not as hard to do as exceptional customer service. So my theory is that exceptional customer service (hard work) will be rewarded by sales. The NH theory seems to be whoever gets the sale (easy part) then has to do the service. I don't see the incentive here for exceptional customer service. And if the service business can't stand on its own because it is not compensated justly for warranty work by the manufacturer, then the manufacturer is just shifting the burden to the consumer again, either by poor warranty service or by higher selling prices to subsidize the warranty work. ....

NH Warranty Work

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-05-22          28447

My slant on all this (from many such conversations with my VERY open dealer) is that it's NOT the manufacturer who cares where you get it fixed. The Manufacturer does NOT however want to hear from an angr, whiney dealer who is 'stuck' fixing your tractor under warranty when HE did make the sale (and therefore profit) in the first place. As with almost every industry, the manufacturer does NOT pay 'door' rates, the price that Joe Public pays. Therefore they would rather have their mechanics fixing more profitable, customer paid repairs. All dea;ers are REQUIRED to do any warranty repair presented to them though, so if the whole world bought a Kubota from Carver's, or a NH from White's, (free plugs today) then took it to their local dealers for 'discount' warranty repairs there would be a lot of unhappy dealers (but not Steve or Art). Some manufacturers are just 'louder' at trying to keep everyone happy, that's all. Does that make more sense now. Best of luck. ....

NH Warranty Work

View my Photos
Rick

2001-05-22          28458

This direct from a New Holland dealer. We are required to work on all new holland equipment with a valid warranty date. How ever if you did not buy it from me I might not give you the priority that I give a customer that bought a tractor from me. Be assured that New Holland frowns badly on dealers who take this policy of not fixing your tractor when bought at another dealer. ....

NH Warranty Work

View my Photos
MarkS

2001-05-23          28489

The dealer I bought my TC40D from actually came out to my place to do some minor repairs on the machine. They had left out the two bolts that hold the loader control to the fender, a coolant line was pinched under the loader frame causeing a leak, and one of the hydraulic lines was leaking fluid at the loader hyd hookup point. Called them on a Sat, and by Tuesday they had it fixed. The little problems were kind of a pain, but it sure made me feel better when they came out and fixed so soon without having to argue about anything. ....

NH Warranty Work

View my Photos
TomG

2001-05-24          28516

Jeff: I'm a day late, but what I started writing yesterday was turning into a piece of business theory, which I wisely didn't send. Yes, what I said is theory, and I believe that part of what you said has some theory to it as well. Anyway, I think the issue is part of an on-going debate about 'positioning products' in the market place. One style is a full-service operation--one-stop shopping for all needs. I imagine there are inherent inefficiencies in such operations, and some areas of an operation (perhaps service) end up subsidized by other areas. The full service idea does provide customers the convenience of dealing with one retailer. The idea from a company perspective is that a customer's response to a product is long term, and consists of all experience from purchase to trade-in. If a company buys into this idea, then they want to provide all after-purchase support to ensure that it is available and at an acceptable quality. Some companies may feel a need to protect dealers in smaller markets to achieve this full service goal. Companies that buy into another style might say; 'No, what the customer wants is low prices, so we'll concentrate on a few things where efficiency can be maximized. Producers in other parts of the industry will do the same, and the customer may have to deal with several companies, but they will get better prices.' I don't believe there is any right or wrong here, it's just how a company decides to position itself to (of course) maximize profit. Myself, I'm in favour of full-service. My dealer is about 200 miles away, and the nearest place that works on tractors at all is almost 100 miles. If they go out of business, then I really have to go a long way. I'm happy to pay higher prices if that ensures these dealers stay around. Other people may have different, and just as valid, views. ....

NH Warranty Work

View my Photos
Chris

2001-05-24          28517

Thanks for all the views and insights. I spoke with my closest local NH dealer and he confirmed that they would not do warranty work on tractors purchased at another dealership. We have a few other dealers nearby, but he is the closest. The complaint was about getting reimbursed enough per hour for the warranty work. Evidently according to him, NH is on the low side, so my local NH dealership, as a policy, do not accept warranty work from NH tractors purchased elsewhere. Because of the information on this discussion board, I was able to get him to give me a better deal ;^) and will most likely purchase from him. Thanks again for all assistance in this matter.
--
Chris ....

NH Warranty Work

View my Photos
Rick

2001-05-28          28682

It to bad your New Holland dealer can not be totaly honest with you. He is required to do all warranty work presented to him. (if he is have a memory deficiancy in this area he should consult his dealer policy manual) Also as far as warranty rate paid by New Holland it is the same as the dealers posted shop rate if he has done his paper work right. ....

NH Warranty Work

View my Photos
Chris

2001-05-29          28749

I went to another local dealer across the river and found a real nice gentleman (who incidentally used to work at the closer NH dealer for 19 years until he disagreed with the way the new owners were running things). To my gain, he is neighbor and a willing mentor on how to use the tractor and its implements. Along with a good deal and a very good feeling I went with this dealer across the river. It is a 40 minute drive opposed to a 20 minute drive. They will deliver and I am evidently in their pick area for any problems. Thanks for all your help in understanding the nuances in shopping for a tractor.
--
Chris ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login